The Sunken World
Dust-jacket from the first edition
|Author||Stanton A. Coblentz|
|Cover artist||Roy Hunt|
|Genre||Science fiction novel|
|Publisher||Fantasy Publishing Company, Inc.|
The Sunken World is a science fiction novel by American writer Stanton A. Coblentz. It was first published in book form in 1948 by Fantasy Publishing Company, Inc. in an edition of 1,000 copies. The novel originally appeared in the Summer 1928 issue of the magazine Amazing Stories Quarterly. It was Coblentz's first published science fiction novel.
The novel concerns Anton Harkness, the commander of an American submarine in World War I which is caught in a whirlpool which drags it to the bottom of the sea where it collides with a glass dome. The crew are rescued by the Atlanteans who live beneath the dome. Harkness falls in love with an Atlantean girl with whom he escapes after the Atlantean dome is destroyed.
- 1928, US, Amazing Stories Quarterly, Pub date Summer 1928, Magazine, reprinted Fall 1934
- 1948, US, Fantasy Publishing Company, Inc., Pub date 1948, Hardback, first book publication, reprinted 1950
- 1951, UK, Kemsley, Pub date 1951, Paperback
- 2003, US, Lost Continent Library, Pub date 2003, paperback reprint, ISBN 0-9727472-0-6
- 2012, US, Armchair Fiction, Pub date 2012, paperback reprint, ISBN 978-1612870731
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923–1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd. p. 269.
- Crawford, Jr., Joseph H.; James J. Donahue; Donald M. Grant (1953). "333", A Bibliography of the Science-Fantasy Novel. Providence, RI: The Grandon Company. p. 20. OCLC 3924496.
- Tuck, Donald H. (1974). The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy. Chicago: Advent. p. 106. ISBN 0-911682-20-1.
|This article about a 1940s science fiction novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.