|Directed by||Leena Manimekalai|
S.R. Prakashbabu |
The Sunshine (Tamil title: சூரியரேகை) is written by writer-actor Shobasakthi (aka Antonythasan Jesuthasan, who acted in Jacques Audiard’s Palm d’ Or winning Dheepan) and writer, poet, actor Leena Manimekalai, which is directed by Leena Manimekalai and produced by S.R. Prakashbabu and S.R. Prabhu of Dream Warrior Pictures.
The Sunshine is about Armstrong, who flees from northern part of Sri Lanka in search of his destination during the Sri Lankan war. His painful journey and the how he manages to travel India, Nepal, Thailand and few other countries forms the story of this movie. Also the story was inspired from a real incident in which a ship of 492 Sri Lankan refugees travelled from Thailand to Canada.
Out of 19 Asian films, The Sunshine was the only Tamil film that was selected for the NFDC Film Bazaar Co-production 2016, Goa. Director Leena Manimekalai says that, interest shown by mainstream producer like S.R. Prabhu is very crucial for this project, as she is an indie filmmaker. Her previous feature film was Sengadal. As the story evolves around few countries, production house is eyeing for co-producers.
- "Filmmaker Leena Manimekalai's Next, 'The Sunshine', To Narrate The Tale Of A Young Lankan Refugee - Silverscreen.in". Silverscreen.in. 2016-11-29. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Kumar, P.K. Ajith. "Bringing into focus a forgotten crisis". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-17.
- J.Nath, Parshathy. ""I want to watch my film in a local theatre"". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Leena Manimekalai's rebellious spirit pushes her into dangerous waters". www.hindustantimes.com/. 2017-03-11. Retrieved 2017-03-17.
- "NFDC's Film Bazaar becomes indie cinema's go-to place for funds". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "What is it like to be a refugee?". deccanchronicle.com. 2016-12-01. Retrieved 2017-02-02.