The Suspicious Housekeeper
|The Suspicious Housekeeper|
Promotional poster for The Suspicious Housekeeper
|Also known as||
The Mysterious Housekeeper |
The Mystery Housemaid
The Strange Housekeeper
Family drama |
Kaseifu no Mita|
by Kazuhiko Yukawa
|Written by||Baek Woon-chul|
|Directed by||Kim Hyung-shik|
Choi Ji-woo |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Running time||Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 (KST)|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||23 September– 26 November 2013|
|Preceded by||Empire of Gold|
|Followed by||One Warm Word|
|Related shows||Kaseifu no Mita|
The Suspicious Housekeeper (Hangul: 수상한 가정부; RR: Susanghan Gajeongbu) is a 2013 South Korean television series starring Choi Ji-woo, Lee Sung-jae, Wang Ji-hye and Kim So-hyun. It aired on SBS from September 23 to November 26, 2013 on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:55 for 20 episodes.
- Choi Ji-woo as Park Bok-nyeo
- Lee Sung-jae as Eun Sang-chul
- Kim So-hyun as Eun Han-Kyul, eldest daughter
- Chae Sang-woo as Eun Doo-kyul, second eldest son
- Nam Da-reum as Eun Se-kyul, third eldest son
- Kang Ji-woo as Eun Hye-kyul, youngest daughter
- Wang Ji-hye as Yoon Song-hwa
- Park Geun-hyung as Woo Geum-chi, Sang-chul's father-in-law
- Shim Yi-young as Woo Na-young, Sang-chul's sister-in-law
- Cho Yeon-woo as Manager Choi
- Jang Seo-won as Lee Dong-shik
- Baek Seung-hyeon as Manager Kim
- Kim Hae-sook as Housekeeping Agency director Hong
- Jung Suk-yong as Shin Jung-man
- Ra Mi-ran as Yang Mi-ja
- Jung Moon-sung as Lee Tae-shik
- Hwang Jae-won as Oh Eo-jin, Hye-kyul's friend in kindergarten
- Bang Eun-hee as Eo-jin's mother
- Lee Seung-hyung as Oh Nam-jae, Eo-jin's father
- Seo Kang-joon as Choi Soo-hyuk
- Park Ji-bin as Shin Woo-jae
- Song Jong-ho as Jang Do-hyung/Seo Ji-hoon (cameo)
- Lee Yang-hee as Soo-hyuk's father (cameo)
- Kim Kwang-kyu as Han-kyul's homeroom teacher
- Im Ji-kyu as Se-kyul's homeroom teacher
- Son Sung-joon as perpetrator of bullying
- Jeon Ye-seo as Writer Kwon (cameo)
- Kim Ji-sook as Bo-nyeo's mother-in-law, Go Min-gook's mother (cameo)
- Kwak Do-won as Go Min-gook, Bok-nyeo's late husband (cameo)
- Kim Hee-jung as Woo Sun-young, Eun Sang-chul's late wife (cameo)
Park Bok-nyeo is a mysterious housekeeper who will do whatever is asked of her, even, so the rumor goes, if that means murder. Her latest stint involves caring for a recently widowed father, and his four troubled children, all of whom are grappling with the aftermath of their mother's sudden death. The stoic new arrival, who shows barely any trace of emotion, acts as a catalyst for the family members to understand each other better and reconcile their relationships.
|1||Father Sang-chul employs a housekeeper when his wife died. And an employment agency manager gives him a warning that he should be careful about Bok-nyeo who obeys everything she's told. Meanwhile, when Hye-kyul said that she wants to see her mom as a birthday gift, her aunt Na-young promises her she will show her, her mom...|
|2||Han-kyul found out that her mom committed suicide because of her father's adultery. She visits Song-hwa, the adulterous woman, and showed her mom's last will to her. Meanwhile, Sang-chul is displeased with Bok-nyeo and asks the employment agency manager to send them another housekeeper instead of Bok-nyeo...|
|3||Han-kyul shows her mom's will to her younger brothers and sister and said that she couldn't live with father anymore. And she leaves the house and goes to her mother's parents' home. Meanwhile, to make her family reconciled, Hye-kyul asks Bok-nyeo to kidnap her...|
|4||The 4 children ask their father, Sang-chul, to leave the house. And they ask their father to allow Bok-nyeo to work again with role of being their mom. Meanwhile, Bok-nyeo saw when Sang-chul meets with Song-hwa. Sang-chul tries to clear up the misunderstanding. However, Geum-chi, Sang-chul's father-in-law, who sees Bok-nyeo and Sang-chul together begins to question their relationship...|
|5||When Han-kyul goes to meet Sang-chul in his room to discuss about Bok-nyeo, she sees Sang-chul's couple ring. She becomes enraged. Meanwhile, Doo-gyul looks up Bok-nyeo on the internet and stumbles upon obscene material by accident and this was discovered by Bok-nyeo...|
|6||Han-kyul makes up her mind to get revenge on Sang-chul. And Bok-nyeo says to her that the most fearful thing to parents is when their children become destroyed. Meanwhile, rumors begin to swirl about Han-kyul and her sexual relationship with others. Because of that, Han-kyul decides to run away from home...|
|7||Soo-hyuk has resolved Han-kyul's misunderstanding about having sexual relationships with others, and asked her to forgive his former mistakes. And Han-kyul said she will leave the band. Meanwhile, 4 children asked about Bok-nyeo's family and she said, she had killed her family...|
|Episode #||Original broadcast date||Average audience share|
|TNmS Ratings||AGB Nielsen|
|Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area||Nationwide||Seoul National Capital Area|
|1||23 September 2013||7.4%||8.8%||8.9%||10.3%|
|2||24 September 2013||8.2%||9.3%||8.8%||9.7%|
|3||30 September 2013||8.3%||9.7%||9.9%||7.8%|
|4||1 October 2013||8.3%||8.9%||9.5%||9.8%|
|5||7 October 2013||8.1%||10.0%||7.0%||9.0%|
|6||8 October 2013||9.7%||8.3%||8.4%||9.3%|
|7||14 October 2013||9.5%||10.7%||10.6%||12.2%|
|8||15 October 2013||10.3%||12.6%||11.1%||12.0%|
|9||21 October 2013||9.8%||10.7%||10.7%||11.0%|
|10||22 October 2013||10.2%||11.9%||10.5%||12.4%|
|11||28 October 2013||9.1%||11.1%||9.3%||10.4%|
|12||29 October 2013||7.9%||8.3%||10.0%||9.0%|
|13||4 November 2013||9.2%||9.7%||9.8%||10.4%|
|14||5 November 2013||9.8%||10.8%||10.3%||11.7%|
|15||11 November 2013||9.9%||9.1%||9.6%||9.8%|
|16||12 November 2013||9.5%||9.8%||10.4%||10.6%|
|17||18 November 2013||8.7%||8.9%||9.5%||10.7%|
|18||19 November 2013||8.0%||9.3%||9.0%||10.2%|
|19||25 November 2013||8.0%||9.3%||10.0%||10.2%|
|20||26 November 2013||9.6%||10.5%||10.3%||11.9%|
Awards and nominations
|21st SBS Drama Awards ||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Nominated|
|New Star Award||Won|
|7th Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
On September 6, 2013, the Korean Women Workers Association and the National House Management Cooperative held a press conference in front of SBS and denounced the use of the word gajeongbu (which literally translates to "a house woman") in the title, saying it belittles housekeepers. They asked that the production change the title to gajeong-gwanlisa ("house manager"), while the National Institute of the Korean Language recommended using gasa-doumi ("housework helper"). An official from the network said that they are retaining the word gajeongbu because it is the Korean word equivalent for the Japanese source material's kaseifu. Instead, they compromised by refraining from using the controversial word in the script, and added a scene that explains what to call people who clean and cook at the homes of others, and what the appropriate title is for them.
- It aired in Japan on cable channel KNTV from September 23 to October 1, 2014.
- It aired in Vietnam on VTC9 - Let's Viet from February 13, 2015, under the title Quản gia bí ẩn.
- It aired in Thailand on PPTV from February 9 to April 14, 2015.
- It aired in the Philippines on IBC 13, coming soon.
- Oh, Jean (16 September 2013). "Choi Ji-woo to play modern-day Mary Poppins". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- Lee, Hye-ji (20 August 2013). "Choi Ji-woo, Lee Sung-jae Mark a Beginning of New Drama". TenAsia. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (31 July 2013). "Choi Ji-woo to Play Housekeeper in Upcoming Drama". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 30 March 2014. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- Hong, Grace Danbi (31 July 2013). "Choi Ji Woo Cast as Lead in Korean Version of Kaseifu no Mita". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- "Choi Ji-woo to Play Housemaid in New Drama". The Chosun Ilbo. 10 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Won, Ho-yeon (5 December 2013). "Suspicious role challenged Choi". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- "TNMS Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". TNMS Ratings (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- "AGB Daily Ratings: this links to current day-select the date from drop down menu". AGB Nielsen Media Research (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-09-23.
- Lee, Cory (2 January 2014). "Lee Bo-young Grabs 1st Top Prize at the 2013 SBS Drama Awards". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Dispute hits 'housekeeper' drama". The Korea Herald. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Lee, Sun-min (12 September 2013). "SBS refuses to budge over drama title controversy". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "The Suspicious Housekeeper แม่บ้านปริศนา – ซีรีย์เกาหลี". korea.tlcthai.com (in Thai). 2 September 2015.