Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||George Sidney|
|Produced by||George Sidney|
|Written by||Lawrence Roman|
|Music by||Marty Paich|
|Cinematography||Joseph F. Biroc|
|Edited by||Frank Santillo|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$700,000 (est. US/Canada rentals)|
Kelly Olsson is an aspiring writer, but Girl-Lure magazine keeps rejecting her racy submissions. Kelly decides to show the magazine boys what they are missing. She creates a fake identity for herself, pretending that a story about a young woman's wild ways is actually about herself.
Girl-Lure's lecherous editor, Sir Hubert, and his suave editor, Ric Colby, like the concept but aren't sure they trust the facts. Kelly tries to fool them by staging an orgy in her apartment building, asking friendly tenants to go along with her scheme. Sgt. Hooker of the vice squad does not feel she is fooling, however, and places Kelly under arrest.
Ric comes to her rescue. But when her hoax is revealed, he decides to get revenge by insisting that Kelly pose for a provocative layout for the magazine to prove she is as wild as she claims. By the time his car and her motorcycle meet head-on in the end, they're in love.
- Ann-Margret as Kelly Olsson
- Anthony Franciosa as Ric Colby
- Robert Coote as Sir Hubert Charles
- Yvonne Romain as Karen Charles
- Horace McMahon as Detective Sergeant Hooker
- Mary LaRoche as Mrs. Olsson
George Sidney had previously made Bye Bye Birdie and Viva Las Vegas with Ann Margret. Sidney says the script for Viva Las Vegas had been written in eleven days in order to meet a commitment and The Swinger was similar. "We did the script in ten days," he said. "The studio had a commitment and needed to fulfil it... We devised a script that would give Ann Margret an opportunity to show her facets. And boom, boom - off we went." 
Filming started 6 December 1965 and finished by March 1966 after which Ann Margret went to Vietnam to entertain the troops.
Sidney called the film "a wild, outrageous 'in', what's-happening-in-the-world-today kind of picture."
- "Big Rental Pictures of 1966". Variety. January 4, 1967. p. 8. ISSN 0042-2738.
- Davis, Ronald L. (2005). Just making movies. University Press of Mississippi. p. 80.
- Ann-Margret in 'Swinger' Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times 24 Nov 1965: c7.
- TO MAKE MONEY IN MOVIES, LET GEORGE DO IT Alpert, Don. Los Angeles Times 20 Mar 1966: b10.