The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island
|Swiss Family Robinson|
(Kazoku Robinson Hyōryūki Fushigi na Shima no Furōne)
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Yoshio Kuroda|
|Produced by||Kōichi Motohashi|
|Written by||Shōzō Matsuda|
|Music by||Kōichi Sakata|
|Original network||Fuji Television (Japan) ABS-CBN (Philippines)|
|Original run||4 January 1981 – 27 December 1981|
|Episodes||50 (49 in the English dub due to two episodes being merged into one episode)|
The character of Flone is not present in the original novel, in which the Robinson family consists of only a father, a mother, and four sons (no daughters). Fione was likely introduced by Nippon Animation as a new character for the anime version to attract more girls as viewers. Also in the anime version, the oldest of the Robinson children, Fritz, is named "Franz" (though his name is changed back to Fritz in the English dub), and the character of Jack is a three-year-old rather than a ten-year-old.
Very popular in Europe, this anime is one of the few World Masterpiece Theater series to have been dubbed into the English language for the American market. An English dub by PMT, Ltd, titled simply Swiss Family Robinson, aired on The Family Channel cable network in the U.S. in 1989. This dub renames Flone "Becca" as well as her older brother Franz "Fritz". It can currently be seen on the Smile of a Child network and Amazon Prime video. In addition, an Arabic dub was made for the Arab World which can also be seen on NETFLIX named “The Swiss Family Robinson”.
(Japanese animation version)
The Robinson family consists of the patriarch Ernest Robinson, a doctor by profession, Anna Robinson, the matriarch who is a housewife grew up and belong to a farmer family, the oldest son Franz who aspires to be a musician, the middle child Flone, a tomboy, and the youngest son, Jack. The family receive a letter from Dr Robinson's English friend in Australia, Dr Elliot, who wishes for Dr Robinson to treat people in Australia due to the lack of doctors. This is an issue for the children, as the family will be permanently settled in Australia. Franz disagrees since he realizes there is no way he would be able to study music in Australia due to lack of appropriate music institutes. Flone is initially excited since she wants to play with kangaroos, however soon she realises their family maid Marie would not be able to make it since she is taking care of her ill auntie. As a compromise, the family decide to have their relatives over, to take care of Franz while the rest of the family move to Australia. On the day of the voyage, though, Franz changes his mind at the last moment and jumps onto the ship.
At the Blackburn Rock ship, Franz met a girl named Emily who he befriends. The rest of the family interact with various people on the ship, such as the time when Dr Robinson has to assist a pregnant woman give birth. One night, on the day of Christmas presentation, a storm rages on the ship for five days. Dr Robinson and his family are not able to make it into the lifeboat as they were busy trying to tend to the injured. The captain ties Franz onto a log of wood which saves him from drowning, and the rest of the family prepare a makeshift raft to make their way into an uninhabited island before the ship sank. They arrive at an uninhabited island, (in 155°East Longitude and 10° South Latitude based on estimation of Mr. Morton) where they found the body of the ship captain of Blackburn Rock on the shore. On the captain's burial, they found the Blackburn Rock ship sinking with animals within.
They set up camp at the shore of the beach but are soon forced to relocate and make a house on a treetop due to the presence of jackals/striped wolves. They have John the dog who was the pet of the captain, and they befriend a petit baby cuscus and they name it Mercer. They also rescue some chickens and donkey from the ship and goats living solitarily at the island. Dr Robinson and Franz spend most of the day exploring and doing carpentry work, while Anna prepares food and does farming. One time, they saw a ship coming and try to fire a rifle to signal it, but they fail to catch its attention. They spend their days mostly surviving and building boats/ships and doing household chores and for the children, studying. Once heavy rain and wind set, they set out to find a water-proof home, and they come across a cave. They found a skeleton in the cave with a diary near it, as they read they realise the man, whose name was Eric Bates, never made it off the island and died, presumably from malaria. They give him a proper burial. As Flone explores the cave and fetching water, she sees a silhouette of a boy running but the family assume that it is a wild animal although they, especially Flone have a hunch that there are other people living in the island. The next day, Flone finds a boy stealing melon from their garden. The boy, whose name is TomTom, an orphan Australian Aborigine who survives in the sunken boat. They find that he lives with an injured ship captain, Mr Morton. Anna is initially repelled by him due to his rude nature and after he tried to get Jack to smoke an improvised leave cigarette, but soon warms up to him after she read a letter founded by Ernest on the canoe requesting for possible ship to rescue the Robinson family and after realising he had good intentions at heart. Like Ana, Franz as well does not like Mr. Morton. TomTom initially refuses to interact with the Robinson family as his family was subjected to slavery at the hands of Europeans but warms up to Flone and the rest of the family soon. One day, Tamtam with Mr. Morton went to the treehouse with the ostrich that they caught, Mr. Morton slapped the ostrich to run so that Robinsons siblings will be able to leave the house to catch the running ostrich. While Franz, Flone, Jack and Tamtam are chasing the ostrich. Mr. Morton climbed the tree and enter the treehouse and stole a rifle, magnifying lens and some of Robinson's family accessories. That night, He left Tamtam without a word sleeping on the cave. The next day, Tamtam went on the Robinson family to see if Mr. Morton was with them, The whole day, He spent each hour on the shore hoping Mr. Morton will return. That night, while Robinson family is sleeping, Tamtam left the Robinsons and return to cave and Ana notice that Tamtam gone that morning. Flone while looking for Tamtam entered to the cave and notice that the underground water was warm. While Tamtam was with Robinson's family, the animals on the island began to behave strange. That night, while the Robinson family is sleeping, an earthquake occur twice. On his return at the island, Mr Morton asks the family to build another ship as soon as possible, to leave and find their way to Australia after they find out the island is actually a volcanic island which may erupt soon, further there were frequent earthquakes. After staying on the island for over a year, they finally leave to Australia on the boat they built with. The voyage takes much longer than expected but they finally make it, barely alive. They landed at the north of Sydney in winter and travelled by train to Melbourne. The family is greeted by Dr Elliot who provides them with a nice house to stay in, while TomTom stays with the Robinsons until Mr Morton finds another ship. They find out that Emily made it alive and was training to be a nurse, hence after a short reunion, she decides to leave for England to study medicine and become a nurse for three years. It happens to be the same ship Mr Morton and TomTom were sailing in. The Robinson family say their goodbyes and the anime ends.
- First in the series original Japanese episode titles followed by the original English translation and English dub (PMT, Ltd,) episode titles
- In the English dub, episodes 7 and 8 have been merged into one.
|Ep#||Translated title/Dub title||Japanese Airdate||English Airdate|
|1||"The Adventure Begins" / "One Letter"|
"Ittsuu No Tegami"
|TBA||3 Oct. 1985|
|2||"Becca Makes Plans" / "Journey"|
|TBA||10 Oct. 1985|
|3||"Strange Company" / "Flone's Change of Heart"|
"Furōne No Kokoro Karari"
|TBA||17 Oct. 1985|
|4||"To Australia" / "Toward Australia"|
|TBA||24 Oct. 1985|
|5||"Becca Takes the Helm" / "Captain Flone"|
|TBA||31 Oct. 1985|
|6||"The Terrible Typhoon" / "Terrifying Storm"|
|TBA||7 Nov. 1985|
|7||"Shipwreck! (Part 1)" / "The Father That Can Do Anything"|
"Nandemo dekirou tousan"
|TBA||14 Nov. 1985|
|8||"Shipwreck! (Part 2)" / "Aim For The Island"|
|TBA||21 Nov. 1985|
|9||"Mysterious Island" / "New Family"|
|TBA||28 Nov. 1985|
|The Robinsons use their ingenuity as they settle into their new island life. Mother enthusiastically plants a garden, but the seedlings are rooted up by wild pigs.|
|10||"Sad Reunion" / "Sad Reunion"|
"Kanashihimi no Saikai"
|TBA||5 Dec. 1985|
|When Brewster discovers his drowned master washed onto the beach, Fritz is especially moved because the captain died saving his life. Fritz and his father set off to explore the island and search for other survivors.|
|11||"The Monster Tree" / "Haunted Woods"|
"Obake no Ki"
|TBA||12 Dec. 1985|
|12||"Wolf Attack" / "Mother's Enthusiasm"|
"Okaasan no Katsuyaku"
|TBA||19 Dec. 1985|
|13||"The Deep Darkness" / "Franz's Eyes"|
"Furantsu No Me"
|TBA||2 Jan. 1986|
|14||"Song from a Shell" / "I Can Hear The Song of the Seashells"|
"Kaigara No Utaga kikoeru"
|TBA||9 Jan. 1986|
|The family begins building their new house -- high in the branches of a tree. Becca wanders away from her responsibilities and is washed from shore on a drifting log.|
|15||"The House in the Treetops" / "House Up the Tree"|
"Ki No Ueno"
|TBA||23 Jan. 1986|
|While Fritz and Ernest scale the mountains, the rest of the family scouts for supplies. Becca's playfulness almost ends in disaster, but her mother comes to the rescue, and they find an abundance of food.|
|16||"Farmer in the Family" / "Home Lesson"|
"Wayaga No Nikka"
|TBA||23 Jan. 1986|
|17||"The Scarecrow" / "Mother's Field"|
"Okaasan no Hakate"
|TBA||30 Jan. 1986|
|18||"Brewster to the Rescue" / "Rescue Meri-chri!"|
"Merekuru Wo Tasukr Te!"
|TBA||6 Feb. 1986|
|When Fritz and Jack go fishing in the new canoe, their little pet Mercedes falls overboard. The danger of sharks prevents an easy rescue, but the dog Brewster saves the day.|
|19||"Becca Goes Hunting" / "Flone Goes Hunting"|
"Furōne, Kari Ni Iku"
|TBA||13 Feb. 1986|
|Becca is excited about her first hunting trip -- until Fritz shoots a bird and her pity overcomes her taste for meat. She lures home a goat, providing milk and cheese as welcome additions to the family's diet.|
|20||"Ship Ahoy!" / "I Can See the Ship"|
"Fune Ga Mieru"
|TBA||20 Feb. 1986|
|Standing watch for ships at the cape is important, though always a useless job. But today Becca spots one, and the family's joy turns to desperation as their signals go unheeded. Though disappointed, they refuse to give up hope.|
|21||"Turtle Hatchery" / "Baby Turtle"|
"Kame No Akachan"
|TBA||27 Feb. 1986|
|The Robinsons watch a turtle laying eggs on the beach, and are impressed with the solemn ceremony. Becca and Jack keep watch over the nest, fighting off a hungry snake, until the eggs hatch and the baby turtles disappear into the sea.|
|22||"The Beachcomber" / "Jack Is A Collector"|
"Jakku Ha Korekutā"
|TBA||6 Mar. 1986|
|23||"Vacation Time" / "Holiday on an Inhabited Island"|
"Munjintou No Kyuujitsu"
|TBA||13 Mar. 1986|
|24||"Becca Seek Higher Places" / "Flone leaves Home"|
"Furōne No iede"
|TBA||20 Mar. 1986|
|25|| Night of the Inhabited Island Is Pitch-Black Darkness|
"(Munjintou No Yoru Hamakkurayami)" Lighting the Flame
|TBA||27 Mar. 1986|
|26||"Gum-Tree Shoes" / "Brother is an Archer?"|
"Oniichanwa Yumi No Meishu?"
|TBA||3 Apr. 1986|
|27||"For Better Or For Worse" / "Music Fair on the Inhabited Island"|
"Munjintou No Ongakukai"
|TBA||10 Apr. 1986|
|28||"Saved From Death" / "Jack's Sickness"|
"Jakku No Byouki"
|TBA||17 Apr. 1986|
|29||"Down The Wrong Path" / "Flone's Whereabouts Unknown"|
"Furōne Yukuefumeito naru"
|TBA||24 Apr. 1986|
|30||"A Firm Hand" / "Tight Punishment"|
|TBA||1 May 1986|
|31||"The Birthday Surprise" / "Am I Taking Off?"|
|TBA||8 May 1986|
|32||"Strong Together" / "We Made a Boat"|
|TBA||15 May 1986|
|33||"A Fruitful Day" / "Rain, Rain, Come Again"|
"Ame, Ame, Fure Fure"
|TBA||22 May 1986|
|Ernest and Morton devise a last-chance plan to escape from the island. Morton directs the shipbuilding and everyone pitches in.|
|34||"Becca The Realtor" / "Cave Search!"|
|TBA||29 May 1986|
|35||"Secret Of The Cave" / "Cave Secret"|
"Dokutsu No Himitsu"
|TBA||5 Jun. 1986|
|The cave is dry, but is it hospitable? The Robinsons find the cave already occupied by multitudes of bats -- and a skeleton, the grim remains of an earlier shipwreck victim who once lived on the island.|
|36||"Bats!" / "Spirits Appear!"|
"Yuurei Ga Deru!"
|TBA||12 Jun. 1986|
|37||"A Friend in Need" / "Castaway"|
|TBA||19 Jun. 1986|
|Franz tells his family how he managed to survive the first few days on the island when he thought he had been the only one who reached the shore.|
|38||"Becca Does Her Best" / "A Man and A Woman"|
"Otokonoko to Onnanoko"
|TBA||26 Jun. 1986|
|39||"Morton the Grump" / "Sourpuss Morton"|
"Hinekure Mono Mōton"
|TBA||9 Oct. 1986|
|40||"Riding the Big Bird" / "Tam Tam the Boy"|
|TBA||16 Oct. 1986|
|41||"Volcano" / "Morton Has Gone Far Off"|
"Itte Shimatta Mōton San"
|TBA||23 Oct. 1986|
|42||"Day of Terror" / "Terrifying Earthquake"|
|TBA||30 Oct. 1986|
|43||"The Sea Calls" / "Morton Returns"|
"Mototte Kita Mōton San"
|TBA||6 Nov. 1986|
|44||"Shipbuilding Again" / "One More Time on a Ship"|
"Mou Ichido Fune Wo!"
|TBA||20 Nov. 1986|
|45||"Donkey, Don't Die" / "Don't Die, Robert"|
"Shinanaide Roba San"
|TBA||20 Nov. 1986|
|46||"The Boat Awaits" / "Don't Throw Away the Hircine"|
|TBA||27 Nov. 1986|
|47||"Don't Abandon the Goats!" / "Don't Throw Away the 2nd Hircine"|
"Zoku Yagi-wo sutenaide"
|TBA||4 Dec. 1986|
|48||"Good-Bye Island Home" / "Good Bye Island"|
|TBA||11 Dec. 1986|
|49||"Together on the High Seas" / "I Can See Land!"|
"Riku Ga Mieru!"
|TBA||18 Dec. 1986|
|50||"Australia" / "Till Next Time"|
"Mata Au Nichi Made"
|TBA||25 Dec. 1986|
|Arriving in Australia, the Robinsons are reintroduced to civilization -- and to some old friends.|
- Flone Robinson (Rebecca/Becca in the American English dub): The main protagonist and middle daughter of the Robinson family. Flone is free-spirited and willing to do almost anything. She always speaks her mind and enjoys doing new things. The story is usually told from her point of view. Her family celebrates her 11th birthday on the island on September 13. She is voiced by Reba West in the English Dub, and by Yoshiko Matsuo in Japanese.
- Franz Robinson (Fritz in the American English dub): The oldest of Flone and her brothers, being fifteen and in high school. In sharp contrast to his outgoing sister, He's extremely introverted and shy. He longs to be a music composer and sets out to accomplish that dream. Because of these facts, Fritz is anything but athletic, spending all of his time after school, in his room, playing his flute and guitar or writing music. Fritz appears to have few, if any friends, at the start of the series. He becomes a more outgoing person, after he meets Emily on the ship and falls in love with her. He also becomes stronger, once the Robinson's become stranded on the island, helping his father with various building projects. On his birthday, Fritz and his siblings catch an ostrich, with help from Tom-Tom. He is voiced by R. Dwight in the English dub and by Tōru Furuya in Japanese.
- Dr. Ernest Robinson: Dr Ernest Robinson is the 46-year-old father of Flone and head of the Robinson family. He is a wealthy medical doctor who helps poor people who can't afford medical assistance. He decides to take his family to Australia after receiving a letter, leaving behind the home of his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. He is voiced by Jeremy Platt in the English dub and by Katsuhiko Kobayashi in the first part of the series and later by Osamu Kobayashi in Japanese in the second part of the series.
- Anna Robinson:: Anna is Flone's mother, and easily frightened by small rodents, reptiles, as well as other things. She is the typical housewife, tending to the home and children, as well as frowning upon the carefree ways of her free-spirited daughter, Flone, as well as the smoking habit of Captain Morton. She accompanies her husband on the trip to Australia saying she'll always stand by his decision. Her family celebrates her 37th birthday on the island. She is voiced by Wendee Swann in the English dub, and by Michiko Hirai in Japanese.
- Jack Robinson: The youngest son. Unlike his mother, he seems to take after Flone and not be afraid of anything. He always gets into the troublesome way and loves to collect things from seashells to small animals and reptiles. He is three years old and has a feminine voice. He is voiced by Grace Michaels in the English dub and by Makoto Kousaka in Japanese.
- John/Brewster: A Saint Bernard who once belong to a Captain of the Ship which drowned in the Typhoon which shipwrecked the Robinsons that becomes the family pet and Guard Dog. Jack was afraid of him at first because of how big he was, but Jack eventually became good friends with him.
- Mercedes/Meri Chri: A bear cuscus or phalanger (a type of marsupial native to the Australasian realm) that becomes a family pet. Becca (Flone) and Jack spend much time playing with her. She is also friends with Brewster.
- Donkey/Robert: A donkey who survived the shipwreck and became a useful member of the Robinsons and a Pack Animal for carrying wood and sugar cane to the Robinsons compound. The donkey later died of stress-related issues and possibly old age after helping the Robinsons, Captain Morton and Tam Tam hauling the Catamaran into the ocean.
- Eric and Bates: A mother and a baby goat that the family found on the island, named after Eric Bates, a man who stranded several years before the events of the series and died there. His skeleton and diary were later discovered by the Robinsons.
- Captain Morton: A grumpy, hard-drinking, cigar-smoking Sea Captain who the Robinsons discover living in a cave. Anna disapproves of his smoking habit and dislikes him strongly at first, especially after he tries to get Jack to smoke a cigar, but gradually warms to him. He is voiced by Michael Sorich in the English dub and by Ichirō Nagai in Japanese.
- Tam Tam (TomTom in the American English Dub): A young Australian Aborigine boy about age 9 to 10 years old who is the companion of Morton and becomes good friends with Flone/Becca, Franz/Fritz, and Jack. He is voiced by Tom Wyner in the English dub and by Yoku Shioya in Japanese.
- Emily: A young woman who becomes friends with the Robinsons before being separated during the Typhoon. She is voiced by Kaoru Kurosu in Japanese.
- Marie: The Robinson family's live-in servant, who decides not to accompany the family from Switzerland to Australia. She is voiced by Ellyn Stern Epcar in the English dub and by Satomi Majima in Japanese.
- Elliott: voiced in Japanese by Tamio Oki.
- Emily's Father: voiced in Japanese by Kan Tokumaru.
- Emily's Mother: voiced in Japanese by Yoshiko Asai.
- Emily's Grandmother: voiced by Mona Marshall in the English dub and by Atsuko Mine in Japanese.
- Gerhardt: voiced in Japanese by Kõichi Kitamura.
- Haizecupp: voiced in Japanese by Keiko Hanagata.
- Dr Samuel Elliot: A friend of Dr Ernest Robinson who lives in Australia. Voiced by Richard Epcar in the English dub.
- The Captain: The Commander of the Blackburn Rock who once took the passengers on a voyage from England to Australia, and died from drowning after shipwrecked and saved Franz/Fritz, whom he fell overboard with him, from drowning. Voiced by Bob Papenbrook in English dub.
- The Doctor: The Blackburn Rock's doctor who uses to be drunken. Voiced by Bob Papenbrook in English dub.
- Opening theme: "Hadashi no Flone" (裸足のフローネ, "Barefoot Flone") by Keiko Han.
- Ending theme: "Flone no Yume" (フローネの夢, "Flone's Dream") by Keiko Han.
- Boshi No Kumoriuta (used at Episode 31)
- English opening theme song by Ron Krueger.
- "Swiss Family Robinson, Season 1". www.amazon.com. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island at IMDb
- The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- "Swiss Family Robinson, Season 1". www.amazon.com. Retrieved June 12, 2016.