The Sword and the Cross
|The Sword and the Cross|
|La spada e la croce (Italy, 1958)
Mary Magdalene (U.S., 1960)
|Directed by||Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia|
|Produced by||Ottavio Poggi|
|Screenplay by||Sandro Continenza|
|Story by||Ottavio Poggi|
|Starring||Yvonne De Carlo|
|Music by||Roberto Nicolosi|
|Edited by||Renato Cinquini|
|Distributed by||Amex (U.S.)|
The Sword and the Cross (Italian: La spada e la croce) is a 1958 Italian religious drama film directed by Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia and starring Yvonne De Carlo as Mary Magdalene. Shot in English and later dubbed in Italian, the film was released in the United States in 1960 as Mary Magdalene.
- Yvonne De Carlo as Mary Magdalene
- Jorge Mistral as Gaius Marcellus
- Rossana Podestà as Martha
- Massimo Serato as Anan
- Andrea Aureli as Barabbas
- Mario Girotti as Lazarus
- Nando Tamberlani as Caiaphas
- Philippe Hersent as Pontius Pilate
- Rossana Rory as Claudia
De Carlo was signed for the film in May 1958. The film's director, Carlo Ludovico Bragaglia, later remembered that the "producer, Ottavio Poggi, had sent the provisional script to America, so Yvonne De Carlo could read it and decide on her participation in the film. She read it and got very excited, agreeing to play the role of Magdalene."
Although the film was shot under the English title The Sword and the Cross another Italian film with that name starring Gianna Maria Canale was released un the US in 1960.
The Los Angeles Times called the film "sluggish".
Gary Allen Smith, in his book Epic Films: Casts, Credits and Commentary on More Than 350 Historical Spectacle Movies, described the film as "above average."
- Roberto Chiti; Roberto Poppi; Enrico Lancia. Dizionario del cinema italiano: I film. Gremese, 1991. ISBN 8876055487.
- "Hard Work Pays Off For Yvonne". The Deseret News. July 18, 1958. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- Smith, Gary Allen (2004). Epic Films: Casts, Credits and Commentary on More Than 350 Historical Spectacle Movies, 2d ed. McFarland. pp. 164–165. ISBN 1476604185. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- "De Carlo Signed for Italian 'Magdalene'". Variety. May 20, 1958.
- Antonelli, Lamberto; Laura, Ernesto G. (1992). Nato col cinema: Carlo Ludovico Braggalia: cent'anni tra arti e cinema. A.N.C.C.I. p. 101. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Scheuer, P. K. (1958, May 20). 'Small world' seen as large novelty. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/167272849?accountid=13902
- By, R. F. (1958, Nov 09). ITALIAN SCREEN SCENE. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/114353954?accountid=13902
- Filmer, F. (1958, Jul 26). GOSSIP. Picture show, 71, 3-4. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/1879623969?accountid=13902
- Archer, E. (1960, Jun 30). 'Sword and the cross'. New York Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/115220608?accountid=13902
- Stinson, C. (1960, Aug 05). 'MAGDALENE' TAKES HER TIME TO REFORM. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/167713754?accountid=13902
|This article related to an Italian film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to historical films is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|