The Taos News
|Circulation||140,000 online visitors per month|
The Taos News is a weekly newspaper published in Taos, New Mexico by the private company Taos News, which also does business as El Crepusculo, Inc., the name of the first newspaper published by Padre Martinez. The company is classified under newspaper publishing and printing manufacturers. It is estimated to have an annual revenue of $5 to 10 million and employ between 20 and 49 staff members. As of March 2017, the paper is edited by Staci Matlock and owned by Robin Martin, who also owns The (Santa Fe) New Mexican.
Padre Antonio José Martínez brought the first printing press west of the Mississippi River to Taos between 1834–1835 and published the first newspaper, El Crepusculo, which was the predecessor of The Taos News.
The Taos News has been published as Taos News and El Crepusculo de la Libertad. Archived newspapers are available from 1959 to the present day.
Taos News was incorporated in New Mexico in 1978.
Taos News states: "Our purpose is to report the news of Taos County and the Moreno Valley in a fair and objective manner consistent with the highest journalist standards. It is our intention to serve the citizens of Taos County by taking specific positions on important issues and allowing reasonable space to those with differing views."
The Taos News has won the following awards:
|Best weekly newspaper in the United States by the National Newspaper Association||2000, 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018.|
|Second Best weekly newspaper in the United States by the National Newspaper Association||2001, 2002, 2004, 2005|
|Best weekly newspaper in its class in New Mexico by the New Mexico Press Association||2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.|
- "Taos News". Company Profile. Manta Media Inc. 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- The Taos News (2017-03-24). "'New Mexican' reporter named managing editor of 'Taos News'". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Taos Timeline". Taos County Historical Society. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- "New Mexico Digital Collections". New Mexico Newspaper Project. University of New Mexico. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "About Taos News". The Taos News. Archived from the original on 2009-08-15. Retrieved 2011-06-04.