The Tear Garden
The Tear Garden
Edward Ka-Spel, vocalist
|Origin||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Psychedelic, experimental, electronic|
|Associated acts||The Legendary Pink Dots|
|Website||Official The Tear Garden webpage|
The Tear Garden is a psychedelic/experimental/electronic band, formed by Edward Ka-Spel of The Legendary Pink Dots and cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy in 1985 after Key served as a sound engineer on tour in Canada for Ka-Spel. An EP, The Tear Garden, was released that same year. The pair have since released a number records with the assistance of various guest musicians. Their most recent release, The Brown Acid Caveat, was released in July 2017.
The Tear Garden released the album Tired Eyes Slowly Burning in 1987. It featured contributions from Skinny Puppy members Dwayne Goettel, Nivek Ogre, and Dave Ogilvie. The record featured a nearly 17 minute long track titled "You and Me and Rainbows", described by AllMusic's Sean Carruthers as "monolithic... but worth every second". A reissue of the album included the groups first EP, The Tear Garden, with the rest of the album. Members of the Legendary Pink Dots would henceforth contribute to Tear Garden and in 1992 they released the full-length album The Last Man to Fly. Another EP, Sheila Liked the Rodeo, much of which was recorded during the same sessions as The Last Man to Fly, was released in 1993. Only a few tracks feature Ka-Spel's vocals.
With the collapse of Skinny Puppy in 1995 and cEvin's primary commitment over, he and The Tear Garden released To Be an Angel Blind, the Crippled Soul Divide in 1996, followed by Crystal Mass in 2000. Crystal Mass marked a departure for the group, with more focus seemingly directed toward sound and production than the traditional staple, the lyrics. In 2002 a limited edition compilation of previously unreleased songs, Eye Spy with My Little Eye came out on Key's Subconscious Communications label. A best of, For Those Who Would Walk with the Gods is also available.
The Tear Garden have never toured, which has limited their commercial potential. The only live performance of Tear Garden material by members of both Skinny Puppy and the Legendary Pink Dots was on April 14, 1988 in Leiden, Holland and May 1, 1988 at Foyer St. Arbogast in Strasbourg France, during Skinny Puppy's Head Trauma tour, for which Edward Ka-Spel was the opening solo act. At the end of Ka-Spel's set cEvin Key joined him on guitar and keyboards for a performance of the song "The Centre Bullet". The Legendary Pink Dots have performed Isis Veiled as an almost necessary encore at every show during their last few tours.
In March 2008, after having successfully collaborated in 2007 on The Secret Experiment, cEvin Key made mention that Edward Ka-Spel was due to show up in Los Angeles sometime soon and that new material could possibly arise from any presumed meeting of the pair.
Early in 2017, it was announced that the group would celebrate their 30th anniversary with the release of a new album, The Brown Acid Caveat. The album would be accompanied with the release of the rarities collection album Eye Spy Vol.2.
- cEvin Key - keyboards, guitar, bass guitar, drums
- Edward Ka-Spel - vocals, keyboards
|Tired Eyes Slowly Burning||1987||Nettwerk|
|The Last Man to Fly||1992||Nettwerk|
|To Be an Angel Blind, the Crippled Soul Divide||1996||Nettwerk/Subconscious|
|The Secret Experiment||2007||Subconscious|
|Have a Nice Trip||2009||Subconscious|
|The Brown Acid Caveat||2017||Subconscious / Metropolis|
|The Tear Garden||1986||Nettwerk|
|Sheila Liked the Rodeo||1993||Nettwerk|
|Eye Spy with My Little Eye||2002||Subconscious|
|Eye Spy Vol. 2||2017||Subconscious / Metropolis|
|Bouquet of Black Orchids||1993||Nettwerk Europe|
|For Those Who Would Walk with the Gods||2001||Brudenia|
- Harris, Jim. "'The Brown Acid Caveat' Review (8 July 2017)". Soundblab. Soundblab. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Carruthers, Sean. "'Tired Eyes Slowly Burning' Review". AllMusic. AllMusic. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Carruthers, Sean. "'The Last Man to Fly' Review". AllMusic. AllMusic. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Carruthers, Sean. "'Sheila Liked the Rodeo' Review". AllMusic. AllMusic. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Carruthers, Sean. "'To Be an Angel Blind, The Crippled Soul Divide' Review". AllMusic. AllMusic. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Goldman, Rich. "'Crystal Mass' Review". AllMusic. AllMusic. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Van Isacker, Bernard. "cEvin Key (Skinny Puppy) and Edward Ka-Spel (The Legendary Pink Dots) Reignite The Tear Garden to Release Brand New Album and Rarities Album, Both on Vinyl and 2CD (19 April 2017)". Side-Line. Side-Line Music Magazine. Retrieved 24 November 2017.