The Telegraph (Kolkata)
The 20 August 2013 front page of
|Founded||7 July 1982|
|Headquarters||6, Prafulla Sarkar Street, Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Circulation||352,972 Daily (as of December 2019)|
|Sister newspapers||Anandabazar Patrika|
The Telegraph is an Indian English daily newspaper founded and continuously published in Kolkata since 7 July 1982. It is published by the ABP Group and the newspaper competes with The Times of India. The newspaper is the eighth most-widely read English newspaper in India as per Indian Readership Survey (IRS) 2019.
The Telegraph has five editions Kolkata, South Bengal, North Bengal, Northeast edition (Guwahati split), Jharkhand edition (Jamshedpur and Ranchi splits), Patna and Bhubaneshwar. The Telegraph ceased its printing of the Bhubaneshwar & Patna Editions on 14 December 2018.
The Telegraph was founded on 7 July 1982. The design director of London's The Sunday Times, Edwin Taylor, designed the newspaper and provided a standard in design and editing. In 31 years, it has become the largest-circulation English daily in the eastern region published from Kolkata. In 1982, M. J. Akbar used to edit and design the daily newspaper; thus it had a major impact on newspaper journalism in India.
The Telegraph is published by media group Ananda Publishers closely associated with ABP Pvt. Ltd; the group also published Anandabazar Patrika (a Bengali language newspaper) since 13 March 1922. Apart from newspapers the group even published Bengali and English periodicals like Anandamela, Unish-Kuri, Sananda, Anandalok, Desh magazine, The Telegraph in Schools and Career.
- "Highest Circulated Daily Newspapers (languages wise)" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 5 January 2020.
- "Indian Readership Survey (IRS) 2019" (PDF). Newswatch.in. 30 June 2020. Retrieved 16 June 2020.
- Media Newsline.com Retrieved on 30 October 2009
- About The Telegraph Retrieved on 30 October 2009
- "ABP Group launches Bengali tabloid, Ebela". afaqs. 17 September 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- Bhattacharyya, Anushree. "Exchange4media's Anurag Batra, investment banker Vikram Jhunjhunwala buy Businessworld from ABP". Financial Express. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2014.