The Temperance Movement (band)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017)
The Temperance Movement
|Genres||Blues rock, hard rock, Southern rock|
|Labels||Earache Records ex-US/Canada, Concord Music Group US/Canada|
|Associated acts||Deep Purple, Jamiroquai, thenewno2, Rooster, Ben's Brother, Feeder, Ray Davies, The Waterboys|
|Past members||Phil Campbell|
The Temperance Movement are a British blues rock band formed in 2011 by Glasgow-born vocalist Phil Campbell (formally of the rock band White Buffalo) and guitarists Luke Potashnick and Paul Sayer. The rhythm section consists of bassist Nick Fyffe and the Australian-born drummer Damon Wilson. The band released their Pride EP in 2012, and their eponymous debut studio album was released on 16 September 2013. Collectively the band have a rich history of experience, having previously played with Rooster, Ben's Brother, Jamiroquai, Ray Davies, The Waterboys and Feeder.
The Temperance Movement's first release was their Pride EP, which came out on 10 September 2012, and featured five tracks: "Ain't No Telling", "Only Friend", "Pride", "Be Lucky" and "Lovers & Fighters". The following week, the band appeared at the 2012 edition of the Sunflower Jam SuperJam at the Royal Albert Hall, where, as the opening act, they played the first two tracks from their EP. The band also played at Futurerock at the 100 Club (Oxford Street, London) on 9 November 2012, and they embarked on a UK tour from late April to early May 2013. The band's debut studio album, The Temperance Movement, was released on 16 September 2013 on Earache Records. The album features the five tracks from the Pride EP alongside seven new songs, with an extra two songs included with purchases from the iTunes store ("Mother's Eyes" and "Already Know").
In June 2014, the Temperance Movement was the guest band before the Rolling Stones' concerts in Berlin (Waldbühne), Düsseldorf (Esprit Arena) and Vienna (Ernst Happel Stadion).
In 2015 the band toured with Blackberry Smoke in the United States on the Holding All the Roses Tour. In January 2015, it was announced by Planet Rock Radio that The Temperance Movement would be appearing at Planet Rockstock that June in Marrakech. On 26 September 2015, Luke Potashnick left the band to fully dedicate himself to a career as a songwriter/producer. A long time friend of the band, Matt White, joined as the replacement as the band finished work on their second album. On 15 January 2016, the band released White Bear. Produced by Sam Miller, the album was preceded by lead single "Three Bulleits" and reached #18 in the UK albums chart.
On 30 November 2016, it was announced that Damon Wilson had amicably left the band to spend more time with his wife and family.
In January 2020, frontman and principal songwriter Phil Campbell announced that he was leaving The Temperance Movement. Campbell would go on to form The Byson Family, who released an album called Kick The Traces in January 2021. In light of this fact—and also because of the chaos wrought among the broader entertainment industry during the COVID-19 pandemic—it is unclear if The Temperance Movement is continuing.
On 18 August 2021, it was announced that The Temperance Movement would be releasing Covers & Rarities - a collection of rare tracks and covers, including the unheard track "Long Run" and the unheard cover of Deep Purple's "You Fool No One" featuring Deep Purple's Ian Paice and recorded at London's Metropolis Studios. The album's release date is 26 November 2021.
On 29 September 2021, a second compilation album, Caught On Stage: Live & Acoustic, was announced for release on 14 January 2022. Both this and Covers & Rarities are being released on various formats, including limited edition colour vinyl, black vinyl, cassette (Covers & Rarities only), CD and digital formats.
- Paul Sayer – guitars (2011–present)
- Nick Fyffe – bass (2011–present)
- Matt White – guitars (2016–present)
- Simon Lea – drums (2017–present)
- Phil Campbell – vocals (2011–2020)
- Luke Potashnick – guitars (2011–2015)
- Damon Wilson – drums (2011–2016)
- Covers & Rarities (2021)
- Caught On Stage: Live & Acoustic (2022)
- Pride EP (2012)
- Live in Session (2013)
- "White Buffalo - Last of the V8 Interceptors Now Available!". Whitebuffalo.co.uk. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- "Phil Campbell | Biography & History". AllMusic. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- "The Temperance Movement - A Band of Hope". Rockguitardaily.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Interview with Damon Wilson - Feeder". Mikedolbear.com. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "The Temperance Movement". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "Pride EP". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "THE TBL CELEBRATION DAY COUNTDOWN DAILY NEWSLETTER : TBL LONDON OCT 21 SCREENING MEET/JPJ AT SUNFLOWER JAM/BCC ANNOUNCE UK GIG/ COUNTDOWN COLLECTION NO.2". Tightbutloose.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2 October 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "The Temperance Movement Concert Setlist at Royal Albert Hall, London on September 16, 2012". Setlist.fm. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "The Temperance Movement Perform At FUTUREROCK!". Planet Rock. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "The Temperance Movement - UK Tour". Planet Rock. 25 March 2013. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- "The Temperance Movement confirmed for Planet Rockstock, Marrakech". Planet Rock Radio. 14 January 2015. Archived from the original on 17 January 2015.
- "White Bear". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "Security Check Required". Facebook.com. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "Phil leaves The Temperance Movement". Thetemperancemovement.com. Retrieved 8 June 2020.
- "The Byson Family are a band formed in Glasgow 2019 -". Thebysonfamily.com. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- "Official Albums Chart Update Top 100 | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- "TTV TALKS: Phil Campbell Chats The Byson Family and His Inspirations". Tenement TV. Retrieved 16 May 2021.
- "THE TEMPERANCE MOVEMENT TO RELEASE COVERS & RARITIES ALBUM IN NOVEMBER; VIDEO STREAMING FOR COVER OF DEEP PURPLE'S "YOU FOOL NO ONE" FEAT. IAN PAICE". BraveWords. 18 August 2021. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- "THE TEMPERANCE MOVEMENT To Release Covers & Rarities Album In November; Video Streaming For Cover Of DEEP PURPLE's "You Fool No One" Feat. IAN PAICE". Darkside. 20 August 2021. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- [earache.com/ttm "The Temperance Movement"] Check
|url=value (help). Earache Records. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- [earache.com/ttmlive "The Temperance Movement"] Check
|url=value (help). Earache Records. Retrieved 4 October 2021.
- "THE TEMPERANCE MOVEMENT : "CAUGHT ON STAGE – LIVE & ACOUSTIC" NEW ALBUM !". The Red Vinyl. 1 October 2021. Retrieved 4 October 2021.