The Third Day (miniseries)
|The Third Day|
|Composer(s)||Cristobal Tapia de Veer|
|Country of origin|
|No. of episodes||1|
|Running time||59 minutes|
|Original release||September 14, 2020 –|
A co-production between Sky Studios, Plan B Entertainment and Punchdrunk, the series premiered in the United States on September 14, 2020, on HBO, and in the United Kingdom on September 15, 2020, on Sky Atlantic.
The series chronicles the individual journeys of a man and woman who arrive on a mysterious island at different times.
The production will be split into three parts with three interconnected stories. The first, 'Summer', directed by Marc Munden, will follow Sam (played by Jude Law), a man drawn to a mysterious island off the English coast where he encounters a group of islanders set on preserving their traditions at any cost.
The second part of the production, 'Autumn', will be told during a one-off live event in London after the summer section of the show has been broadcast. Described by the producers of the show as a "major immersive theatre event", the live segment of the show will air in one continuous take and is intended to allow followers of The Third Day to "inhabit the story as it happens". It will feature Jude Law and other members of the series cast.
The third part of the series, 'Winter', directed by Philippa Lowthorpe, follows Helen (played by Naomie Harris), a strong-willed outsider who comes to the island seeking answers, but whose arrival precipitates a fractious battle to decide its fate.
- Jude Law as Sam
- Katherine Waterston as Jess
- John Dagleish as Larry
- Mark Lewis Jones as Jason
- Jessie Ross as Epona
- Richard Bremmer
- Paddy Considine as Mr. Martin
- Emily Watson as Mrs. Martin
- Naomie Harris as Helen
- Nico Parker as Ellie
- Freya Allan as Kali
- Will Rogers as Danny
|No.||Title||Directed by ||Written by ||Original air date ||U.S. viewers|
|Part 1: Summer|
|1||"Friday – The Father"||Marc Munden||Dennis Kelly||September 14, 2020||0.207|
|2||"Saturday – The Son"||Marc Munden||Dennis Kelly||September 21, 2020||TBD|
|3||"Sunday – The Ghost"||Marc Munden||Dennis Kelly||September 28, 2020||TBD|
|Part 2: Autumn|
|Special||"Autumn"||Felix Barrett||TBA||October 3, 2020(UK)||N/A|
|Part 3: Winter|
|4||"Monday – The Mother"||Philippa Lowthorpe||Kit de Waal & Dean O'Loughlin & Dennis Kelly||October 5, 2020||TBD|
|5||"Tuesday – The Daughter"||Philippa Lowthorpe||Kit de Waal & Dean O'Loughlin & Dennis Kelly||October 12, 2020||TBD|
|6||"Last Day – The Dark"||Philippa Lowthorpe||Kit de Waal & Dean O'Loughlin & Dennis Kelly||October 19, 2020||TBD|
The series was commissioned in June 2019, with the announcement that Jude Law was cast in the lead role. Marc Munden was hired to direct the first three episodes, with Dennis Kelly writing. In July, Katherine Waterston, Paddy Considine and Emily Watson were added to the cast. Naomie Harris and John Dagleish were added in August, with Philippa Lowthorpe hired to direct the final three episodes of the series. Kit de Waal and Dean O'Loughlin also joined Kelly to co-write two episodes.
The series was initially set to premiere in the United States on HBO May 11, 2020, and Sky Atlantic on May 12, 2020. In April 2020, HBO and Sky pulled the series from the schedule due to post-production on the series being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. It was subsequently rescheduled for a September 14 premiere in the U.S., and September 15 in the UK.
For the miniseries, review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 74% based on 35 reviews, with an average rating of 6.99/10. The website's critics consensus reads, "With a sufficiently arresting atmosphere and captivating performances from stars Jude Law and Naomie Harris, The Third Day is an intriguing—if overly familiar—addition to the folk-horror genre." Metacritic gave the miniseries a weighted average score of 67 out of 100 based on 14 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
|1||"Friday – The Father"||September 14, 2020||0.02||0.207||TBD||TBD||TBD||TBD|
- Otterson, Joe; Otterson, Joe (August 28, 2019). "Naomie Harris Joins Jude Law in HBO-Sky Limited Series 'Third Day'". Variety. Retrieved July 10, 2020.
- White, Peter (July 22, 2020). "'The Third Day': HBO Sets New Premiere Date For Jude Law & Naomie Harris Interactive Drama". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 22, 2020.
- Bley Griffiths, Eleanor (July 22, 2020). "When is The Third Day on Sky Atlantic? What's it about?". Radio Times. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- Gray, Peter. https://www.citycountdown.com/index.php/2020/04/10/the-third-day/ citycountdown.com Retrieved May 27, 2020
- "The Third Day". Punchdrunk. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- "Nico Parker to Star in 'The Third Day' by HBO". BCK Online. September 26, 2019. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- "Nico Parker – Curtis Brown". Curtis Brown. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- Sun, Rebecca (February 5, 2020). "CAA Signs 'The Witcher' Star Freya Allan (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- Dry, Jude; Dry, Jude (March 9, 2020). "'The Third Day' Trailer: Jude Law Leads HBO Series From 'Sleep No More' Team". IndieWire. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- "Limited Series "The Third Day" Debuts May 11, Exclusively on HBO". The Futon Critic. February 12, 2020.
- "The Third Day – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved March 22, 2020.
- Metcalf, Mitch (September 15, 2020). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Monday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 9.14.2020". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved September 15, 2020.
- "The Third Day 02: Saturday – The Son". HBO. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- "The Third Day 03: Sunday – The Ghost". HBO. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- "The Third Day 04: Monday – The Mother". HBO. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- "The Third Day 05: Tuesday – The Daughter". HBO. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- "The Third Day 06: Last Day – The Dark". HBO. Retrieved August 10, 2020.
- Jude Law To Star In HBO & Sky Mystery Drama 'The Third Day' From Sky Studios & Plan B Entertainment
- Katherine Waterston Circling HBO & Sky's Jude Law Mystery Drama 'The Third Day'
- Katherine Waterston, Paddy Considine, Emily Watson board Sky/HBO series 'The Third Day' (exclusive)
- Naomie Harris Joins HBO & Sky Mystery Drama 'The Third Day'
- 'The Third Day': 'Mary Poppins Returns' Star John Dagleish Joins HBO & Sky Mystery Drama
- Jude Law starts filming The Third Day
- "Sky launches trailer for The Third Day". Advanced Television. March 9, 2020. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- White, Peter (April 3, 2020). "'The Third Day': HBO & Sky Move Immersive Drama To Fall Due To COVID-19 Crisis". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- Wilner, Norman (September 11, 2020). "TV review: HBO's The Third Day is an experience, all right". Now. Retrieved September 13, 2020.
- "The Third Day: Miniseries (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "The Third Days: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved September 19, 2020.