The Third Reich Trilogy
The Third Reich Trilogy is a series of three narrative history books by the British historian Richard J. Evans covering the rise and collapse of Nazi Germany in detail, with a focus on the internal politics and the decision-making process. According to Ian Kershaw, it is "the most comprehensive history in any language of the disastrous epoch of the Third Reich", which has been hailed as a "masterpiece of historical scholarship." The three volumes of the trilogy were published between 2003 and 2008.
The Coming of the Third Reich
The first volume, The Coming of the Third Reich, was published by Penguin in the UK in October 2003 (ISBN 978-0-7139-9648-7, 622 pages), and in the US in February 2004 (ISBN 978-1-59420-004-5, 656 pages). It describes the origins of the Nazi party, going back to the unification of Germany in 1871, and taking the timeline up to 1933, when Hitler and the Nazis completely seized power in Germany.
The Third Reich in Power
The second volume, The Third Reich in Power, was published by Penguin in the UK and the US in October 2005 (UK: ISBN 978-0-7139-9649-4, 960 pages; US: ISBN 978-1-59420-074-8, 960 pages). It describes Nazi Germany during the so-called "peacetime" period, picking up where the first volume left off, and going all the way up to the start of World War II in 1939.
The Third Reich at War
The third volume, The Third Reich at War, was published by Penguin in the UK in October 2008 (ISBN 978-0-7139-9742-2, 912 pages), and in the US in March 2009 (ISBN 978-1-59420-206-3, 944 pages). It describes the entire wartime period of Nazi Germany, picking up from 1939, where the previous volume ended, and taking the timeline to 1945 and the end of the war.
The limited edition boxed set
To coincide with the release of the final volume of the trilogy, Allen Lane published a limited edition boxed set (ISBN 978-0-14-091167-1) containing special editions of the three books, using heavier paper and better binding than the regular trade editions. This set is now out of print.
- "The Third Reich Trilogy (review)". BlueRectangle. Archived from the original on 2013-01-07. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Berna Günen. "Richard J. Evans, Le Troisième Reich. L'avènement, vol. I et Le Troisième Reich, 1933-1939, vol. II". Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Antony Beevor. "The Third Reich Trilogy (review)". Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- Evans, Richard (2004). The Coming of the Third Reich. ISBN 978-0141009759.
- Evans, Richard (2006). The Third Reich in Power. ISBN 978-0141009766.
- Evans, Richard (2009). The Third Reich at War. ISBN 978-0141015484.