The Three Marias
|The Three Marias|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Aluizio Abranches|
|Produced by||Aluizio Abranches
Dedete Parente Costa
|Written by||Heitor Dhalia
Maria Luisa Mendonça
|Music by||André Abujamra|
Empire Pictures (US)
Gala Film (UK)
|August 2, 2002|
|Box office||R$76,819 ($32,761)|
The Three Marias (Portuguese: As Três Marias) is a 2002 Brazilian-Italian crime drama film directed by Aluizio Abranches. Set in Pernambuco, it tells the story of a woman (played by Marieta Severo) who takes revenge on her former lover and his family with the help of her three daughters, all named Maria.
- Marieta Severo as Filomena Capadócio
- Julia Lemmertz as Maria Francisca
- Maria Luisa Mendonça as Maria Rosa
- Luiza Mariani as Maria Pia
- Carlos Vereza as Firmino Santos Guerra
- Enrique Diaz as Zé das Cobras
- Tuca Andrada as corporal Tenorio (capt. Tenorio in the English version)
- Wagner Moura as Jesuíno Cruz, cavalo do cão (Devil's Horse in English)
The Three Marias grossed R$76,819 ($32,761) and was watched by 13,003 people in the 10 Brazilian theaters in which it was released. It received mixed reviews by English-speaking reviewers. On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 40% rating based on 20 reviews, with an average score of 5.4/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 based on reviews from critics, the film has a score of 45 (indicating "mixed or average reviews") based on 9 reviews.
- "HBF Harvest 2003". International Film Festival Rotterdam. Archived from the original on March 1, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Spirit and Ideals - Panorama 2002". Berlin International Film Festival. Archived from the original on March 1, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "As Três Marias" (in Portuguese). Cinemateca Brasileira. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- Young, Deborah (February 8, 2002). "Review: 'The Three Marias'". Variety. Retrieved March 2, 2014.
- "Filmes Brasileiros Lançados - 1995 a 2012" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Ancine. p. 28. Archived from the original on March 1, 2014. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "Três Marias, As, (The Three Marias) (2002)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
- "The Three Marias". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved March 1, 2014.
|This article related to a Brazilian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 2000s crime drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|