The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs
The Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs was a 30-minute British television comedy series created by Bernard McKenna and Richard Laing and produced by Humphrey Barclay for LWT. It was transmitted on the ITV network 15 September – 20 December 1974 and featured David Jason as the inept Edgar Briggs, personal assistant to the Commander of the British Secret Intelligence Service who, in spite of his cluelessness (and ineptness), manages to solve case after case. It has been likened[by whom?] to the earlier American series Get Smart.
- David Jason as Edgar Briggs
- Noel Coleman as The Commander
- Michael Stainton as Buxton
- Mark Eden as Spencer
- Barbara Angell as Jennifer Briggs
- Elizabeth Counsell as Cathy
|Episode #||Episode Title|
|1-01||A Dinner Date With Death|
|1-04||The Escape Route|
According to David Jason's biographers, Edgar Briggs was not a ratings success in Britain but proved popular in overseas markets. Nevertheless, Jason reportedly vetoed repeat screenings of the series for many years on the grounds that he "[knew] how raw he looked in those days" and was "not at all anxious to share that with his public."
The complete series was eventually released on DVD in March 2015.
- Dave Rogers, The ITV Encyclopedia of Adventure, page 564, ISBN 9781852832179, pub 1988 by Boxtree Ltd for TV Times Publications, somewhere in the UK.
- Hildred, Stafford; Ewbank, Tim (2012). Sir David Jason - A Life of Laughter. John Blake Publishing. p. 95–96. ISBN 9781782190721.
- "The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs: The Complete Series". Amazon.co.uk. 2 March 2015.
- Comedy Guide - The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs at bbc.co.uk
- The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs on IMDb
|This article relating to United Kingdom television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|