Eleanor Horsburgh, Julie Conway, Katherine Simpson (née James), Matt Gormann and Robert Simpson met as school friends in Boronia, a suburb of Melbourne. They began playing together in 2003 and collaborated on writing songs that mixed elements of rock, psych-pop and folk. They performed in local venues and self-released two song collections before signing with local label Half a Cow Records. Through Half a Cow they released the CDs Magic Johnson (2005) and Seventy-Five Year Plan (2007). Magic Johnson spawned the regional hit singles "Applejack" and "Let’s Replace the Cityscapes."
The Triangles ostensibly split after the release of their second CD when several members left Australia. The band reformed early in 2010 when they were approached to perform "Applejack" in a Spanish TV commercial for Estrella Damm. Consequently the tune became a hit single in Spain during the summer of 2010, reaching No. 1 on the Spanish iTunes singles chart, as well as spending 14 weeks on the CD singles chart, peaking at No. 8. The commercial has been viewed on YouTube over five million times as of July 2013, and led to the posting of numerous home-grown "Applejack" music videos by Spanish fans. An album of previously released Triangles songs was released in July 2010 by Universal Music Spain. "Applejack" is also featured in Jetstar Airways advertising, and in 2013 for the LG G2 smartphone ad in Europe and the U.S.
The Triangles reactivated in late 2010 with new music in the form of an EP entitled The Night Lunch, released independently in 2011.
On November 19, 2013, World of Rock Records announced the release of "Applejack" as a limited edition, yellow seven-inch vinyl single, with "Let's Replace The Cityscapes" serving as the B-side. It was scheduled to be released in 2014. A commercial for the single was released by World of Rock Records on December 19, 2013.
- Julie Conway - keyboards, accordion
- Matt Gormann - guitars, vocals, ukulele, banjo, harmonica
- Eleanor Horsburgh - vocals, drums, percussion, melodica, glockenspiel
- Katherine Simpson - bass guitar, vocals, recorder, ukuleue, kazoo
- Robert Simpson – drums, guitars, synthesizer
- Waterfive (2003) independent
- Red Panda (2004) independent
- Magic Johnson (2005; reissued 2010) Half a Cow Records HAC117
- Seventy-Five Year Plan (2007) Half a Cow Records HAC125
- The Triangles (2010) Universal Music Spain
- "Let’s Replace the Cityscapes" (2003)
- The Feast of Stephen (2003)
- Christmas 2005 (2005) Half a Cow Records YULEDO001
- "I've Had Eyes for You" (2006)
- "Applejack" (2010)
- The Night Lunch EP (2011)
- "Applejack" b/w "Let's Replace the Cityscapes" (2014) World of Rock Records
- "Melbourne’s The Triangles Hit No.1 In Spain," MessAndNoise.com
- The Triangles "Applejack" - Spain Top 50 Singles chart performance at ACharts.us
- The Estrella Damm channel on YouTube
- The Triangles official website, 26 June 2010 posting (archived)
- “The Triangles” CD at Amazon.es
- Jetstar Airways "Low Fares Are Just Part of the Story" on YouTube
- LG G2 "Learning From You" on YouTube
- The Triangles official website, 13 June 2011 posting (archived)
- Tom Bolton home page
- Official website
- Original website (archived)
- Original website (archived)
- The Triangles on MySpace
- Estrella Damm 2010 video clip featuring The Triangles’ "Applejack"
- Jetstar 2010 advert featuring The Triangles’ "Applejack"
- "VP" promo clip from The Night Lunch EP
- Katherine Simpson on MySpace
- Live performance of "Applejack," Melbourne, 2007