The Tritonian Ring and Other Pusadian Tales
first edition of The Tritonian Ring and Other Pusadian Tales
|Author||L. Sprague de Camp|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
The Tritonian Ring and Other Pusadian Tales is a 1953 collection of stories by American science fiction and fantasy author L. Sprague de Camp, first published in hardcover by Twayne Publishers. An E-book edition was published as The Tritonian Ring and Other Pasudian [sic] Tales by Gollancz's SF Gateway imprint on September 29, 2011 as part of a general release of de Camp's works in electronic form; however, despite the title, the e-edition includes The Tritonian Ring only; the other tales are omitted. The pieces were originally published between 1951 and 1953 in the magazines and anthologies Two Complete Science Adventure Books, Fantasy Fiction, Imagination Stories of Science and Fantasy, and Fantastic Adventures. The title story, the novel The Tritonian Ring has also been published separately.
Groff Conklin, reviewing the Twayne edition, described De Camp's work as "in the Conan tradition in every sense of the word, though better written." Galaxy columnist Floyd C. Gale praised de Camp, who "did a remarkable job when he tossed his inhibitions to the wind and outConaned Conan." P. Schuyler Miller recommended the stories for their "pure swashbuckling fun with a touch of bawdiness." The Hartford Courant's R. W. Wallace praised the title piece as "extravagant adventure" marked by "zany dialogue." Boucher and McComas, however, dismissed Tritonian Ring as "one of those endless tales of a prehistoric (or more precisely, non-historic) kingdom of swordplay and bloodshed, which seem to us to bear little relation to science fiction or fantasy."
- Orion Publishing Group's L. Sprague de Camp webpage
- Amazon.com entry for e-book edition
- "Galaxy's 5 Star Shelf", Galaxy Science Fiction, June 1954, p.122
- "Galaxy's 5 Star Shelf", Galaxy Science Fiction, July 1955, p.102
- "The Reference Library", Astounding Science Fiction, August 1954, pp.152
- "Time and Space", The Hartford Courant, December 27, 1953, p.SM19
- "Recommended Reading," F&SF, February 1954, p.94.
- Laughlin, Charlotte; Daniel J. H. Levack (1983). De Camp: An L. Sprague de Camp Bibliography. San Francisco: Underwood/Miller. p. 100.
- The Tritonian Ring and Other Pusadian Tales title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This article about a collection of fantasy short stories is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|