The Trouble with Girls (comics)
|The Trouble with Girls|
The cover of The Trouble with Girls trade paperback, published in 2006 by Checker Book Publishing Group.
|Publisher||Eternity Comics/Malibu Comics, 1987–1988, 1989–1991
Epic Comics, 1993
Devil's Due Digital, 2010
|Publication date||August 1987 - 1993|
|No. of issues||39|
|Created by||Will Jacobs
|Written by||Will Jacobs
|The Trouble with Girls: Volume 1||ISBN 1-933160-45-4|
The Trouble with Girls is an American comic book published serially from 1987–1993 by Malibu Comics/Eternity Comics, Comico, and Epic Comics. It was written by Will Jacobs and Gerard Jones, and drawn by Tim Hamilton and others.
The Trouble with Girls is a satirical action series starring Lester Girls, who wants to be simply an "average guy" with a dead-end job, a plain wife, and no adventures more exciting than a good night's sleep. But Lester can't go for a drive without terrorists launching missiles at him, or walk into one of his many mansions without a beautiful, talented, curvaceous woman reposing half-dressed on his bed. Wealth, adventure, sexual magnetism, dashing good looks, and the savoir faire of a Hollywood action hero are what he calls "the curse of Girls."
Hamilton's clean, linear art evokes classic superhero comics. In one four-page set piece, Apache Dick, a Girls analogue who loves the high life, launches an escape that starts with pole-vaulting the Great Wall of China and ends with him crawling from the smoking wreckage of a kamikaze plane muttering only, "the bungalow."
Malibu Comics published vol. 1 (issues 1-14 and Annual 1) in 1987 and 1988, the first six issues under its "Malibu Comics" imprint, the remainder under its Eternity Comics imprint. In 1989, Comico launched vol. 2 (issues 1-4), which then returned to Malibu and the "Eternity" imprint for issues 5-23 and a Christmas Special. During vol. 2's run, Malibu also brought out related Lester Girls, Apache Dick, and Lizard Lady mini-series. In 1993, Epic Comics published a four-issue Trouble with Girls miniseries called The Trouble With Girls: Night of the Lizard, with art by Bret Blevins and Al Williamson, as well as a Lester Girls short story in its Heavy Hitters Annual.
The first fourteen issues of The Trouble with Girls were reissued in two volumes by Checker Book Publishing Group in 2006. Currently, The Trouble with Girls is available digitally exclusively through Devil's Due Digital.
- 'The Trouble with Girls' at the Grand Comics Database
- Jones, Gerard and Will Jacobs, The Comic Book Heroes, Prima Publications 1996, ISBN 0-7615-0393-5.
- "The Trouble with Girls: Volume 1". Checker Book Publishing Group. Archived from the original on May 11, 2008.
- "Three Former Comico Titles Find New Homes," The Comics Journal #129 (May 1989), pp. 13-14: about Fish Police, Trollords, and The Trouble with Girls; and The Maze Agency, which had not yet found a new publisher.
- The Trouble with Girls digital comic books from Devil's Due Digital.
- The Trouble with Girls (Malibu Comics) at the Comic Book DB