The True Meaning of Smekday
|Media type||Print (Hardcover and Paperback)|
|LC Class||PZ7.R32865 Tr 2007|
An audiobook edition, read by Bahni Turpin, was released March 8, 2011.
The story is told in essay format, to be sent to a committee and put in a time capsule, to be opened in 100 years.
The protagonist is eleven-year-old Gratuity "Tip" Tucci, who must survive on her own after her mother is abducted by aliens. The aliens, called Boov, arrive and take over the Earth, which they call Smekland after their leader, Captain Smek. Christmas, the day of the Boov's arrival on Earth, is renamed "Smekday".
On "Moving Day", all humans are required to relocate to Florida. Tip decides to drive instead of being transported by the Boov. She soon makes friends with a Boov, who calls himself J.Lo., and is actually very friendly. The two journey to Florida, but discover the Boov like oranges and told the humans to go to Arizona instead. They travel across the United States, running into all kinds of problems and adventures,and the fact that J.Lo. accidentally summoned the Gorg, a more evil group of aliens. The Gorg have taken the Boov's old planet, Boovworld, and are looking to conquer Earth also. They want to eat their planet and enslave the humans. It is up to Tip and J.Lo to find Tip's mother, Lucy, and save the world.
The author, Adam Rex, created a website for the book at smekday.com, to enhance the book experience. Included is a short video to help humans understand the invasion, which explains changes to the calendar (simplified to three months: Boovember (329 days), Humanuary (5), and Mitch (31) and the new Boov-approved Smekland holidays, Smekday (replacing Christmas), Smeksgiving (Thanksgiving), and Boov Passover.
A sequel, titled Smek for President, was released on February 10, 2015, by Hyperion.
In 2008, DreamWorks Animation optioned the book's rights to adapt it into an animated feature film. On his blog, Adam Rex announced that DreamWorks renewed in 2011 the option of the adaptation. On June 20, 2012, it was revealed that the title of the film would be Happy Smekday!, Rihanna and Jim Parsons would star in the lead roles, and the film would be released in fourth-quarter 2014. Tim Johnson is set to direct the film, with Chris Jenkins and Suzanne Buirgy producing it, and Tom J. Astle and Matt Ember writing the screenplay. In September 2012, 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks Animation announced the release for November 26, 2014, until it was delayed to March 27, 2015. In June 2013, the film was retitled Home.
- Von Drasek, Lisa (2007-11-11). "Sunday Book Review". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- "Smek For President". Hatchette Book Group. Retrieved January 27, 2014.
- Herreras, Mari (September 23, 2010). "T Q&A Adam Rex". Tucson Weekly. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- Rex, Adam (November 16, 2011). "@delzey Yes, Dreamworks optioned SMEKDAY 3 yrs. ago, and renewed the option this year. If they make it I expect it'll be CGI. #kidlitchat". MrAdamRex. Twitter. Retrieved February 2, 2012.
- "Jim Parsons and Rihanna to Voice DreamWorks Animation's Happy Smekday!". DreamWorks Animation. ComingSoon.net. June 20, 2012. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- DreamWorks Animation (September 9, 2012). "New Distributor Twentieth Century Fox Unveils DreamWorks Animation's Release Slate Through 2016". DreamWorks Animation. Retrieved September 10, 2012.
- "DreamWorks Animation Moves Up ‘Penguins Of Madagascar’ Bow, Moves ‘Home’ To 2015". Deadline Hollywood. May 20, 2014. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Movie Title Changes". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 16, 2013.