The Trust (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Music by||Reza Safinia|
|Edited by||Lauren Connelly|
Highland Film Group
Hassell Free Production
|Distributed by||Saban Films|
The Trust is a 2016 American crime film directed by Alex Brewer and Ben Brewer and written by Ben Brewer and Adam Hirsch. The film stars Nicolas Cage, Elijah Wood, Sky Ferreira, Jerry Lewis, Kevin Weisman and Steven Williams. The film was released on DirecTV on April 14, 2016, before being released on video on demand and in theaters on May 13, 2016, by Saban Films. Although Max Rose was released after The Trust, this film marks the last role that Jerry Lewis filmed before his death in 2017.
Young police Sergeant David Waters and his older boss/friend Lieutenant Jim Stone both work in the Evidence Management unit of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Disillusioned and bored with their jobs, they also find it hard to make ends meet financially. Whilst looking through case files, Jim comes across a mysterious case: a low level drug dealer who has access to large amounts of money, as indicated by his bail receipt, which was paid for with $200,000 in a cashier's check.
Using his vacation days, Jim conducts unapproved, undercover surveillance at the hotel where the drug dealer works. He discovers that all of the merchandise the dealer and his gang move is taken to one building, and never moved again. David acquires blueprints from the county planning office and discovers gang has built a large safe in the back of an industrial freezer in the building. Realising it is unguarded, Jim and David decide to break in and steal the contents. They purchase a diamond tipped drill from Germany and black market firearms to use instead of their service pistols, paying for them with illegally acquired cash from a corrupt colleague. After breaking into the apartment above the freezer building, they restrain and muffle its two occupants, but Jim ends up shooting and killing one after he attempts to escape. After drilling and using improvised explosives, they manage to unlock the vault. David, who has become empathetic for the surviving female hostage, allows her to call her 3-year-old son's father to assure him that she is okay.
Jim and David search the safe, which contains vast quantities of diamonds, cash and gold coins. Despite Jim being elated, David becomes concerned that stealing so many valuables from the gang will get them tracked down and killed, and subsequently relocks the safe so Jim can't access it. Enraged, Jim threatens David at gunpoint, forcing him to open the safe and unload the valuables. As they are packing up the drill, David kills Jim in a shootout and returns the contents to the safe. He drives off with the hostage to drop her up north, assuring her of her freedom. Later, David sees two vans following him and he notices the phone number advertised on the back of one of them as the same number the hostage called earlier. Despite identifying himself as a police officer, David is shot dead by men in the vans, who rescue the woman. David's badge and the diamond-tipped drill are catalogued in the Evidence Management building where he and Jim used to work.
- Nicolas Cage as Lieutenant Jim Stone
- Elijah Wood as Sergeant David Waters
- Sky Ferreira as The Woman
- Jerry Lewis as Mr. Stone, Jim's father
- Ethan Suplee as Detective
- Kenna James as Captain Harris
- Kevin Weisman as Roy
- Steven Williams as Cliff
On May 14, 2014, Nicolas Cage and Jack Huston joined the cast. On November 6, 2014, Saban Films acquired distribution rights to the film. On January 30, 2015, Elijah Wood joined the cast. On February 9, 2015, singer Sky Ferreira joined the cast. On February 18, 2015, Jerry Lewis joined the cast. Principal photography began on January 26, 2015.
The film premiered at South by Southwest on March 13, 2016. The film was released on DirecTV on April 14, 2016, before being released on video on demand and in theaters on May 13, 2016, by Saban Films.
The Trust received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 63%, based on 43 reviews, with an average rating of 5.6/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 58 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "The Trust | SXSW 2016 Event Schedule". Schedule.sxsw.com. 2016-03-07. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Dave McNary (2014-05-14). "CANNES: Nicolas Cage Starring in Crime Thriller 'The Trust'". Variety. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Elijah Wood Joins Nicolas Cage in Cop Thriller 'The Trust'". The Hollywood Reporter. 2015-01-30. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Jeff Sneider (2015-02-09). "Sky Ferreira Joins Nicolas Cage, Elijah Wood in Crime Thriller 'The Trust' (Exclusive)". Thewrap.com. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Fleming, Mike (2015-02-18). "Jerry Lewis Takes Lead Role In 'The Trust' Movie". Deadline. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Jeff Sneider (2014-11-06). "Nicolas Cage Crime Thriller 'The Trust' Acquired by Saban Films". Thewrap.com. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "On the Set for 2/2/15: Eddie Redmayne Starts on The Danish Girl, Martin Scorsese Begins Lensing Silence & More". Ssninsider.com. 2015-02-02. Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Collis, Clark (2016-03-07). "Nicolas Cage: The Trust trailer with Elijah Wood". EW.com. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- "The Trust Blu-ray". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved 2018-02-16.
- "The Trust (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "The Trust Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2016-05-17.