The U.S. Albums
|The U.S. Albums|
|Box set by the Beatles|
|Released||21 January 2014|
|Recorded||1962–1970 at EMI, Trident, Olympic, Apple, Chappell, De Lane Lea and Regent Sound studios, London; Pathé Marconi Studio, Paris; EMI Studios, Bombay|
|Label||Apple, Capitol, UMe|
|Producer||George Martin (original recordings)|
|The Beatles chronology|
The U.S. Albums is a boxed set compilation comprising the remastered American albums released by the Beatles between 1964 and 1970. The boxed set was released on 21 January 2014 in the United States, marking the fiftieth anniversary of the Beatles' first trip to the U.S. and first American album from Capitol Records, Meet the Beatles!
All thirteen unique albums released by Capitol Records are included in the boxed set, eight of which were previously released in The Capitol Albums, Volume 1 and Volume 2, sourced from the Capitol master tapes. The set contains remastered mono and stereo versions of each album, except The Beatles' Story and Hey Jude, which are presented only in stereo. Additionally, Yesterday and Today, and the U.S. versions of A Hard Day's Night and Revolver were released for the first time on CD in this boxed set. The Beatles' Story (in Stereo only) is the only album from the box set that is not available separately.
- Meet the Beatles! (1964)
- The Beatles' Second Album (1964)
- A Hard Day's Night (1964)
- Something New (1964)
- The Beatles' Story (1964)
- Beatles '65 (1964)
- The Early Beatles (1965)
- Beatles VI (1965)
- Help! (1965)
- Rubber Soul (1965)
- Yesterday and Today (1966)
- Revolver (1966)
- Hey Jude (1970)
The masters for the U.S. versions of the albums are partially based on the original 1960s masters delivered by EMI and the 2009 remasters released in The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings) and The Beatles in Mono. Unique stereo and mono mixes prepared in the UK for US release are sourced from the original tapes. Any unique versions prepared for U.S. release were recreated for this set. The tapes used for the 2004 and 2006 Capitol boxed sets drawn from the Capitol tapes were not used in this set, with the exception of The Beatles' Story.
The albums Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, The Beatles (the "White Album"), Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be are not included in this set as those albums were identical to available UK editions. (The Beatles (the "White Album") was only released in stereo in the US.) Originally, the American version of Magical Mystery Tour was also unique, as a Capitol Records compilation of the band's British EP and 1967 singles. When the Beatles catalog was first issued on compact disc in 1987, they chose to make the American Magical Mystery Tour running order the official version of the release.
Mixes unique to this release
In nearly every case, the master delivered by EMI to Capitol was used as the source; in some cases, unique mixes were re-created. In cases where Capitol had used a folded-down stereo mix (such as for Meet The Beatles, Help!, and The Early Beatles) for the mono version, this set uses a dedicated (2009 master) mono mix. In cases where Capitol uses a "Duophonic" stereo mix, this set uses a dedicated stereo mix. For tracks released on the UK Help! and Rubber Soul, the 1987 stereo remix (as remastered in 2009) was used.
The Beatles' Second Album
- "Long Tall Sally" (mono)
- "I Call Your Name" (mono)
- "I'll Cry Instead" (mono)
- "Any Time At All" (mono)
- "When I Get Home" (mono)
- "And I Love Her" (mono)
A Hard Day's Night
- "I'll Cry Instead" (mono) (same as on mono Something New)
- "And I Love Her" (mono)(same as on mono Something New, but runs slower here)
- "I'll Cry Instead (mono)(no stereo version)
- "I'll Be Back" (mono)
- "She's a Woman" (mono)
- "I Feel Fine" (mono)
- "Michelle" (mono)
- "The Word" (stereo)
- "I'm Looking Through You" (stereo)
Yesterday and Today
- "I'm Only Sleeping" (mono)
- "Doctor Robert" (mono)
- "And Your Bird Can Sing" (mono)
- "We Can Work It Out" (stereo)
- "Day Tripper" (stereo)
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||82|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||29|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||90|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||99|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (21 January 2014). "The U.S. Albums - The Beatles | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 1 March 2014.
- Classic Rock magazine, March 2014
- Kozinn, Allan (12 December 2013). "Beatles American Albums to Be Released in a Boxed Set". New York Times. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "British Invasion! The Beatles Unveil "The U.S. Albums" Box Set in January". 12 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- slane. "Mixes/Sources used on US Albums CDs". Steve Hoffman Music Forums. Retrieved 21 September 2016.
- "Spanishcharts.com – The Beatles – The U.S. Albums". Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Longplay-Chartverfolgung at Musicline" (in German). Musicline.de. Phononet GmbH. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Beatles – The U.S. Albums" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Swisscharts.com – The Beatles – The U.S. Albums". Hung Medien. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Ladies and Gentleman, The Beatles! - press release on the Beatles official website