The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3
|The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3|
|Created by||Frank Fertitta III, Lorenzo Fertitta, Dana White|
|Starring||Dana White, Forrest Griffin, and Chuck Liddell|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network||Televisa, UFC Fight Pass|
|Original release||August 20, 2016|
|Preceded by||The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 2|
The cast consisted of fighters from 9 countries: Bedoya, from Colombia, Castillo, from Nicaragua, Cárdenas and Villaseca, from Chile, Chalo, from Venezuela, Flores, from Bolivia, Puelles, from Peru, Ganin and Rojo, from Argentina, Zamora, from Costa Rica and Bravo, Martínez, Quintanar, Rodríguez, Sabori and Villegas, from Mexico.
- Forrest Griffin, Head Coach
- Chuck Liddell, Head Coach
- Martín Bravo
- Pablo Sabori
- Miguel Villegas
- Marcelo Rojo
- Alejandro Martínez
- Yasser Castillo
- Walter Zamora
- José David Flores
- Claudio Puelles
- Ilianovich Chalo
- Leonardo Rodríguez
- Javier Ganin
- John Bedoya
- Santiago Cárdenas
- Fabian Quintanar
- Juan Villaseca
- Episode 1:
- Pablo Sabori defeated Santiago Cardenas via submission (armbar) in round 1.
- Episode 2:
- Claudio Puelles defeated Jose David Flores via TKO (punches) in round 1.
- Walter Zamora defeated John Bedoya via majority decision after 2 rounds.
- Episode 3:
- Ilianovich Chalo defeated Miguel Villegas via KO (punch) in round 1.
- Marcelo Rojo defeated Juan Villaseca via submission (rear naked choke) in round 1.
- Episode 4:
- Leonardo Rodriguez defeated Yasser Castillo via majority decision after 2 rounds.
- Martín Bravo defeated Javier Ganin via TKO (knee injury) in round 1.
- Episode 5:
- Alejandro Martinez defeated Fabian Quintanar via split decision after 3 rounds.
- John Bedoya replaces Alejandro Martinez due to him being unable to continue as he was suffering with injuries from his fight with Quintanar.
- Episode 6:
- Claudio Puelles defeated Pablo Sabori via submission (kneebar) in round 1.
- Leonardo Rodriguez defeated Walter Zamora via unanimous decision after 2 rounds.
- Episode 7:
- Martín Bravo defeated Ilianovich Chalo via unanimous decision after 2 rounds.
- Episode 8:
- Marcelo Rojo defeated John Bedoya via majority decision after 2 rounds.
- Episode 9:
- Martín Bravo defeated Leonardo Rodriguez via unanimous decision after 3 rounds.
- Episode 10:
- Claudio Puelles defeated Marcelo Rojo via unanimous decision after 3 rounds.
|José David Flores||1|
* Martínez was unable to fight due to injury. Bedoya was chosen to take his spot in the quarterfinals.
|(Technical) Knock Out|
The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale: dos Anjos vs. Ferguson
|The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale: dos Anjos vs. Ferguson|
The poster for The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale: dos Anjos vs. Ferguson.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||November 5, 2016|
|Venue||Arena Ciudad de México|
|City||Mexico City, Mexico|
The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale: dos Anjos vs. Ferguson (also known as UFC Fight Night 98) was a mixed martial arts event held on November 5, 2016, at Arena Ciudad de México in Mexico City, Mexico
A potential lightweight title eliminator bout between former UFC Lightweight Champion Rafael dos Anjos and The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos winner Tony Ferguson headlined the event.
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen middleweight winner Kelvin Gastelum was expected to face Jorge Masvidal in a welterweight bout at the event. However, on September 14, Gastelum was removed in favor of a replacement bout against former lightweight title challenger Donald Cerrone at UFC 205, one week later. Subsequently, Masvidal was removed from the card entirely rescheduled to face Jake Ellenberger the following month at The Ultimate Fighter: Tournament of Champions Finale.
Guido Cannetti was expected to face Marco Beltrán in a rematch at the event. The pairing first met at one of The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America's tournament bouts where Beltrán won a controversial decision. However, on October 29, Cannetti was pulled from the bout after USADA revealed a potential anti-doping violation from a sample taken October 15. He was replaced by former Bellator Featherweight Champion and one time UFC Bantamweight Championship challenger Joe Soto and the bout was contested at a catchweight of 140 lb.
At the event's weigh-ins, Charles Oliveira failed to make the featherweight limit for his fight with Ricardo Lamas, coming in nine pounds over the 146 lb weight allowance. He was fined 30 percent of his earnings, and Lamas and promotion officials insisted that Oliveira not weigh more than 160 lb the day of the fight or the fight would be cancelled. Felipe Arantes also missed weight for his bout against Érik Pérez, coming in two pounds over the bantamweight weight allowance. He was fined 20 percent of his purse.
|Main Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Lightweight||Tony Ferguson||def.||Rafael dos Anjos||Decision (unanimous) (48–47, 48–47, 48–47)||5||5:00|
|Lightweight||Diego Sanchez||def.||Marcin Held||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–27)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (155 lb)||Ricardo Lamas||def.||Charles Oliveira||Submission (guillotine choke)||2||2:13|
|Lightweight||Martín Bravo||def.||Claudio Puelles||TKO (punches)||2||1:55||[a]|
|Lightweight||Beneil Dariush||def.||Rashid Magomedov||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Alexa Grasso||def.||Heather Jo Clark||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)|
|Catchweight (138 lb)||Érik Pérez||def.||Felipe Arantes||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (140 lb)||Joe Soto||def.||Marco Beltrán||Submission (heel hook)||1||1:37|
|Welterweight||Max Griffin||def.||Erick Montaño||TKO (punches)||1||0:54|
|Bantamweight||Douglas Silva de Andrade||def.||Henry Briones||TKO (elbow and spinning back fist)||3||2:33|
|Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)|
|Middleweight||Sam Alvey||def.||Alex Nicholson||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Polo Reyes||def.||Jason Novelli||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Enrique Barzola||def.||Chris Avila||Decision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00|
- The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America 3 tournament final
The following fighters were awarded $50,000 bonuses:
- Fight of the Night: Tony Ferguson vs. Rafael dos Anjos
- Performance of the Night: Ricardo Lamas and Douglas Silva de Andrade
On August 21, 2017, it was announced that Cannetti was given a 10-month suspension by USADA, retroactive to October 28, 2016. The provisional suspension came after testing positive for ostarine, hydrochlorothiazide and chlorothiazide. USADA conducted tests on the supplements Cannetti was taking at the time of the sample collection, and concluded that the supplements were tainted.
- Staff (2016-05-31). "Cast revealed for 'TUF: Latin America 3' with coaches Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Staff (2016-05-31). "The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Team Liddell vs. Team Griffin cast revealed". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Staff (2016-11-06). "UFC Fight Night 98 draws announced attendance of 11,460 in Mexico City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Staff (2016-04-11). "Legends Liddell, Griffin to coach TUF LATAM". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2016-08-03). "Dos Anjos vs. Ferguson to headline in Mexico City". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Amy Kaplan (2016-08-02). "Rafael dos Anjos vs. Tony Ferguson confirmed to headline Mexico City". champions.co. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- Staff (2016-08-02). "Rafael dos Anjos meets Tony Ferguson on November UFC card in Mexico City". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- Danny Segura (2016-10-27). "Claudio Puelles fights Martin Bravo in the TUF: Latin America 3 Final". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-10-27.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-09-14). "Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum in the works for UFC 205". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-14.
- Staff (2016-09-28). "Jake Ellenberger vs. Jorge Masvidal booked for December's TUF 24 Finale in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-28.
- Staff (2016-10-11). "Sam Alvey vs. Alex Nicholson moves to UFC Fight Night 98 in Mexico". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- Danny Segura (2016-10-29). "Guido Cannetti flagged by USADA, out of TUF: Latin America 3 Finale fight with Marco Beltran". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-10-29.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2016-11-01). "Joe Soto replaces Guido Cannetti, against Marco Beltran at UFC Fight Night 98". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- "UFC Fight Night 98 weigh-in results: Charles Oliveira badly misses weight, but fight still on". MMAJunkie.com. 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- Ben Kiely (2016-11-04). "UFC star Charles Oliveira misses weight by his biggest margin yet". sportsjoe.ie. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "TUF Latin America 3 Finale: dos Anjos vs. Ferguson". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- Staff (2016-11-06). "UFC Fight Night 98 bonuses: An emotional choke, a spinning backfist and a five-round slugfest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Danny Segura (2017-08-19). "Guido Cannetti accepts 10-month USADA suspension after taking tainted supplement". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-08-21.