The Undoing (miniseries)
You Should Have Known
|Directed by||Susanne Bier|
|Country of origin||United States|
The Undoing is an upcoming American drama miniseries, based on the novel You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz, that is set to premiere on HBO. The series stars Nicole Kidman who is also set to executive produce alongside David E. Kelley, Susanne Bier, Per Saari, and Bruna Papandrea. Kelley is also set to write and showrun the series and Bier is expected to direct.
The Undoing follows "Grace Sachs, who is living the only life she ever wanted for herself. She’s a successful therapist on the brink of publishing her first book, has a devoted husband and young son who attends an elite private school in New York City. Weeks before her book is published, a chasm opens in her life: a violent death, a missing husband, and, in the place of a man Grace thought she knew, only a chain of terrible revelations. Left behind in the wake of a spreading and very public disaster, and horrified by the ways in which she has failed to heed her own advice, Grace must dismantle one life and create another for her child and herself."
Cast and characters
- Nicole Kidman as Grace Sachs
- Hugh Grant as Jonathan Sachs
- Donald Sutherland as Franklin Renner
- Noah Jupe as Henry Sachs
- Fala Chen as Jolene McCall
- Édgar Ramírez as Detective Joe Mendoza
- Lily Rabe as Sylvia Steineitz
- Ismael Cruz Córdova as Fernando Alves
- Matilda De Angelis as Elena Alves
- Noma Dumezweni as Haley Gibson
On March 12, 2018, it was announced that HBO had been given the production a series order. The miniseries is set to be written and showrun by David E. Kelley who will also executive produce alongside Nicole Kidman, Per Saari, and Bruna Papandrea. Production companies involved in the series include Blossom Films, Made Up Stories, and David E. Kelley Productions. On November 7, 2018, it was reported that Susanne Bier would direct every episode of the series and serve as an executive producer.
Alongside the initial series announcement, it was confirmed that in addition to executive producing the series Nicole Kidman had been cast in the series' lead female role. In November 2018, it was announced that Hugh Grant and Donald Sutherland had been cast in starring roles. On January 28, 2019, it was reported that Noah Jupe had joined the main cast. In March, Fala Chen, Édgar Ramírez, Lily Rabe, Ismael Cruz Córdova and Matilda De Angelis were added to the cast. In April 2019, it was announced that Noma Dumezweni joined the cast.
Principal photography for the series began in March 2019 in New York City, New York. Filming on Shelter Island was started in May 2019 but then ceased due to local objections. Filming resumed in Kingston, New York
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 12, 2018). "HBO Orders 'The Undoing' Limited Series With 'BLL's Nicole Kidman Starring & David E. Kelley Writing". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 12, 2018). "Nicole Kidman to Star in HBO Limited Series 'The Undoing' From David E. Kelley". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Holloway, Daniel (March 12, 2018). "Nicole Kidman, David E. Kelley Reunite for 'The Undoing' at HBO". Variety. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (November 7, 2018). "Nicole Kidman HBO Limited Series Names 'Night Manager' Emmy Winner as Director". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- O'Connell, Michael (November 15, 2018). "Hugh Grant Joins Nicole Kidman in HBO's 'The Undoing'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (November 28, 2018). "Donald Sutherland To Star In HBO Limited Series 'The Undoing'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 28, 2019). "'The Undoing': Noah Jupe To Star In HBO Limited Series With Nicole Kidman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- Fala Chen makes drama comeback with HBO miniseries
- ‘The Undoing’: Edgar Ramirez & Lily Rabe Cast In HBO Limited Series
- Petski, Denise (March 28, 2019). "'The Undoing': Ismael Cruz Cordova & Matilda De Angelis Join HBO Limited Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (April 2, 2019). "'The Undoing': Noma Dumezweni Cast In HBO Limited Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Welch, Rebecca (January 2, 2019). "Forest Whitaker Is Teaming With Netflix (and Santa Claus)". Backstage. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- Duboff, Josh (May 28, 2019). "Shelter Island Says Nope to Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant's New HBO Show". Vanity Fair. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- Barry, John W. (June 24, 2019). "Nicole Kidman, Hugh Grant, Donald Sutherland: HBO filming in Ulster this week". The Poughkeepsie Journal. Retrieved July 21, 2019.