The Undoing (miniseries)
|Based on||You Should Have Known|
by Jean Hanff Korelitz
|Directed by||Susanne Bier|
|Country of origin||United States|
The Undoing is an upcoming American drama miniseries, based on the novel You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz, that is set to premiere on HBO. The series stars Nicole Kidman who is also set to executive produce alongside David E. Kelley, Susanne Bier, Per Saari, and Bruna Papandrea. Kelley is also set to write and showrun the series and Bier is expected to direct.
The Undoing follows "Grace Sachs, who is living the only life she ever wanted for herself. She’s a successful therapist on the brink of publishing her first book, has a devoted husband and young son who attends an elite private school in New York City. Weeks before her book is published, a chasm opens in her life: a violent death, a missing husband, and, in the place of a man Grace thought she knew, only a chain of terrible revelations. Left behind in the wake of a spreading and very public disaster, and horrified by the ways in which she has failed to heed her own advice, Grace must dismantle one life and create another for her child and herself."
Cast and characters
- Hugh Grant as Jonathan Sachs
- Noah Jupe as Henry Sachs
- Nicole Kidman as Grace Sachs
- Lily Rabe
- Donald Sutherland as Franklin Renner
- Fala Chen as Jolene
On March 12, 2018, it was announced that HBO had been given the production a series order. The miniseries is set to be written and showrun by David E. Kelley who will also executive produce alongside Nicole Kidman, Per Saari, and Bruna Papandrea. Production companies involved in the series include Blossom Films, Made Up Stories, and David E. Kelley Productions. On November 7, 2018, it was reported that Susanne Bier would direct every episode of the series and serve as an executive producer.
Alongside the initial series announcement, it was confirmed that in addition to executive producing the series Nicole Kidman had been cast in the series' lead female role. In November 2018, it was announced that Hugh Grant and Donald Sutherland had been cast in starring roles. On January 28, 2019, it was reported that Noah Jupe had joined the main cast.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 12, 2018). "HBO Orders 'The Undoing' Limited Series With 'BLL's Nicole Kidman Starring & David E. Kelley Writing". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Bier, Susanne (March 8, 2019). "🌃 Friday night on The Undoing 🌃 #theundoing ( photo credit to @character7production )". Instagram.com. Retrieved March 8, 2019.
- Goldberg, Lesley (March 12, 2018). "Nicole Kidman to Star in HBO Limited Series 'The Undoing' From David E. Kelley". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Holloway, Daniel (March 12, 2018). "Nicole Kidman, David E. Kelley Reunite for 'The Undoing' at HBO". Variety. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (November 7, 2018). "Nicole Kidman HBO Limited Series Names 'Night Manager' Emmy Winner as Director". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 7, 2018.
- O'Connell, Michael (November 15, 2018). "Hugh Grant Joins Nicole Kidman in HBO's 'The Undoing'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (November 28, 2018). "Donald Sutherland To Star In HBO Limited Series 'The Undoing'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 28, 2019). "'The Undoing': Noah Jupe To Star In HBO Limited Series With Nicole Kidman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- Welch, Rebecca (January 2, 2019). "Forest Whitaker Is Teaming With Netflix (and Santa Claus)". Backstage. Retrieved January 5, 2019.