The Universe (Dubai)
|This article is outdated. (July 2013)|
The Universe was a planned artificial archipelago in the shape of the Milky Way and Solar System, that would be built off the coast of Dubai, United Arab Emirates. The project was announced in January 2008 by the developer Nakheel, which also built the Palm Islands and The World archipelago. It was stated to be completed sometime between 2023 and 2028, but as of 2009, the project has been placed on hold. The dredging companies Van Oord and Jan de Nul, the same companies used for the Palm Islands and The World, would create up to 3,000 hectares of land.
The Universe project was in the planning stages, but was placed on hold in 2009. Nakheel's website continued to list The Universe as a "future project", however, as of 11 April 2015 it has been removed.
- "Masterplanners of the Universe". Nakheel. 2008-01-20. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
- "The Universe islands in Dubai by Nakheel". DubaiFAQs.com. 2009-07-18. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- Sona Nambiar (2009-05-11). "Nakheel confirms receiving funds". Emirates Business 24/7. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- Sona Nambiar (2009-05-11). "Focus will be on serviced land when market recovers". Emirates Business 24/7. Retrieved 2009-12-06. (Interview with Chris O'Donnell, CEO at Nakheel.
- "Future Project - The Universe". Nakheel. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- The Universe at Nakheel's official site