The Unspoken King
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Unspoken King|
|Studio album by|
|Released||May 26, 2008|
|Recorded||December 2007 - February 2008 at Garage Studio, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Producer||Christian Donaldson and Cryptopsy|
The Unspoken King is the sixth studio album by Canadian technical death metal band Cryptopsy. The album was released on May 26, 2008 in Europe, and June 24, 2008 in the US, by Century Media Records. It was the last album to feature guitarist Alex Auburn and bassist Eric Langlois respectively. Maggie Durand was removed from the band shortly after completion.
The Unspoken King was controversial for its deathcore sound, a huge departure from the technical death metal style the band had become known for over the previous decade. Because of this, the album garnered mixed but mostly negative reception from longtime fans.
History and background
The album was originally to be called The Book of Suffering, and was to be a double album, but on April 23, 2007, Cryptopsy announced that lead vocalist Lord Worm had been fired from the band and they were looking for a new vocalist. Following this, Cryptopsy revealed the addition of vocalist Matt McGachy and keyboardist Maggie Durand to the band. With these additions, the band's style incorporated more melodic elements and breakdowns thus leading to a drastic sound change in the band.
During the album's recording sessions, a cover of Strapping Young Lad's "Oh My Fucking God" was recorded. A music video for the track "Worship Your Demons" debuted on MTV Headbangers Ball on June 14, 2008.
Although The Unspoken King still carries their usual death metal sound, the shift in their style has been defined by the incorporation of metalcore elements such as breakdowns, clean singing vocals and keyboard accompaniments, as well as less of an emphasis on the time signature changes and polyrhythmic elements which thus lead to The Unspoken King to be widely considered a deathcore album.
All lyrics written by Matt McGachy; all music composed by Cryptopsy.
|1.||"Worship Your Demons"||2:12|
|3.||"Silence the Tyrants"||4:09|
|4.||"Bemoan the Martyr"||4:10|
|7.||"Resurgence of an Empire"||4:40|
|8.||"Anoint the Dead"||3:19|
|11.||"(Exit) the Few"||2:31|
- Matt McGachy − vocals
- Alex Auburn − guitar, vocals
- Christian Donaldson – guitar
- Maggie Durand − keyboard, samples
- Eric Langlois − bass
- Flo Mounier − backing vocals, drums, percussion
- Additional Personnel
- Gabriel McCaughry – vocals ("Anoint the Dead")
- Youri Raymond – vocals ("Leach")
- Christian Donaldson – production, mixing
- Jeff Fortin – recording, engineering
- Bernard Belley – mastering
- McQUEEN, VALERIE. "CRYPTOPSY DRUMMER FLO MOUNIER AND NEW VOCALIST MATT McGACHY ON THEIR LATEST ALBUM, 'THE UNSPOKEN KING'". Revolver. Archived from the original on 2008-07-02. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Cryptopsy video interview HARDTIMES.CA". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "CRYPTOPSY Parts Ways With Singer LORD WORM, Seeks Replacement". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- Harris, Chris (2008-07-03). "Cryptopsy Drummer Dismisses Sell-Out Claims; Plus Sepultura & More News That Rules, In Metal File". MTV Networks. Retrieved 2008-07-03.
If you don't like it, don't listen to it
- Crytopsy, death meal, \"Worship Your Demons\", David Brodsky, The Unspoken King