This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Genres||Pop, rock, folk, psychedelic|
|Labels||Unique Records, Electrique Mud|
|Past members||Pierre Boudin|
The Vals are led by songwriter Paul Doherty.
In 2009 they signed with Electrique Mud Records, a subsidiary of Unique Records based in Düsseldorf, Germany. With Electrique Mud they released the singles ‘Yesterday Today’, ‘With You’ and ‘Things Will Always Be the Same’. In October 2009 they released the album ‘Sticks and Stones’ which was distributed worldwide via ALIVE! Artwork for the album was photographed and designed by Stefan Duerr. The album was recorded in just 3 days in Villa Blacksheep studios in Duisburg and produced by Bernhard Ruprecht and assisted by Jürgen Dahmen who also played hammond organ on tracks 'Things will always be the same' and 'Sticks and Stones'.
The song 'Yesterday Today' was used in an episode of popular German soap opera Gute Zeiten, schlechte Zeiten (English: Good Times, Bad Times). The number one show has peaked at 7 million viewers since its first airing in 1992. The Vals track appears in episode 4328.
Their second single 'With You' was nominated for 'Single of the Week' on BBC Radio 2's The Mark Radcliffe & Stuart Maconie Show
To coincide with the release of their debut album, the band played a European tour which took in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland and the UK.
During the promotion of the 'Sticks and Stones' album the band shared the stage with Ocean Colour Scene (during both the 'Saturday' and 'Pure Acoustic' tours), Echo and the Bunnymen, Mumford and Sons, Hawkwind, Horslips, The Proclaimers, David Holmes, Bon Iver, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, Noah and the Whale, Jeff Beck, Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac and many more.
The Vals also played the Haldern Pop Festival, Burg Herzberg, Golzheim Fest, Château-d'Oex, Hard Working Class Heroes, Arthur's Day, Glasgowbury, Willowstone and many other high-profile festivals throughout this period.
They headlined the 'Magners Light Fall For Fashion' extravaganza which took place in the historical St George’s Market in Belfast's city centre, on Tuesday, 30 September 2008
In August 2010 The Vals played outside Belfast City Hall on a giant erected stage to celebrate the inauguration of the new Lord Mayor of the city.
The band also celebrated Belfast hosting the 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards by taking part in Belfast Music week where they were joined by Duke Special and James Walsh of Starsailor at the Limelight complex.
'Valfest' seen The Vals appear alongside Thin Lizzy founding member and guitarist Eric Bell and Henry McCullough. Yoko sent her message when the festival was organised in Belfast in 2008. An event which helped raise money for local charity.
The message from Yoko included:
"You will know, now that you are doing the Peace and Love Festival, you are connected to all of us, the family of peace of the world. Good for you."
The message was signed off, "lots of love, Yoko".
In 2011 The Vals teamed up with Henry McCullough (Wings & Paul McCartney) on the single ‘Look to the One'. McCullough provided backing vocals and lent his famous guitar sound to the track which gained much success. The video for the 'Look to the One' was produced by Mal Campbell at Causeway Studios. 'Look to the One' was voted 'Single of the Week' by radio station CityBeat which reaches a weekly audience of 144,000 listeners in Belfast, around 25% of the adult population
Another track from the same sessions, Emily O', was recorded alongside the Methodist College Belfast Choir but is yet to be released. During the promotional campaign of the single 'Look to the One' , the band performed an acoustic version of Emily O' for the Ralph McClean show on the BBC. This was both filmed and broadcast on radio.
In 2012 The Vals announced the 'Autumn Acoustic Tour' with shows in Hamburg, Düsseldorf and finishing at the world famous Ulster Hall in Belfast.
On 26 September 2014 The Vals released 'Wildflower Way' via Unique Records. The album was preceded by singles 'Quiet Part of Town' and 'I Fall'. Both singles had substantial airplay through-out Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Ireland and the UK.
In 2015 the band appeared on ZDF Morganmagazin television show in Germany performing the track 'Echoes of Summer'. The estimated television audience is 3 million viewers for the show.
The Vals were special guests of Paul Weller on his 2015 European Tour. The band played a total of 9 shows around Europe with Weller in countries France, Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands.
- 2009 - The Vals - "Yesterday Today" (MCD/Download / MUD002-2)
- 2009 - The Vals - "With You" (MCD/Download / MUD005-2)
- 2009 - The Vals - "Sticks & Stones" (LP/CD/Download / MUD004-1/-2)
- 2010 - The Vals - "Yesterday Today/With You" (7" / MUD002-1)
- 2010 - The Vals - "Things Will Always Be The Same" (Download / MUDDigital01)
- 2011 - The Vals featuring Henry McCullough - "Look to the One" (CD / Download)
- 2014 - The Vals - "Quiet Part of Town" (Download / UNIQ/Digital16)
- 2014 - The Vals - "I Fall" (Download / UNIQ/Digital17)
- 2014 - The Vals - "Wildflower Way" (LP / CD / Download / UNIQ204-1 /-2)
- Unique Records / Electrique Mud Website http://www.unique-rec.com/artists/electrique-mud-artists/the-vals/
- Jürgen Dahmen / Villa Blacksheep Studio Website http://juergendahmen.com/blog/?page_id=23
- GZSZ Television Show / Music Episode 4328 http://gzsz.rtl.de/episode/playlist/index/?folge=4328
- The Vals & Chris Helme (Seahorses) Discussion http://fastfude.org/topic.php?id=30865
- The Vals BBC Radio One Session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUfzDXUkr00
- The Mark Radcliffe & Stuart Maconie Show http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/the-radcliffe-and-maconie-show/pick-and-mix/
- The Vals play London's 100 Club http://zani.co.uk/culture/187-the-vals-bring-us-some-peace-and-love
- The Vals & Ocean Colour Scene, Mandela Hall http://www.flixelpix.com/blog/the-vals/
- Haldern Pop Festival 2009 http://www.gig-guide.de/festival/57416/haldernpop
- The Vals, David Holmes at Monio Festival http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/atl/review_specific277534.shtml
- The Vals official website http://www.thevals.co.uk/about
- Burg Herzberg Line-up - The Vals, Jeff Beck, Hawkwind http://www.burgherzberg-festival.de/l_alt.html#10
- Golzheim Fest Line-up http://www.betakanal.de/home.7+M534afe99f36.0.html
- The Vals at the Hard Working Class Heroes Festival http://edwinmcfee.wordpress.com/2009/09/23/news-from-the-north-week-40/
- The Vals backstage video at Willowstone http://vimeo.com/26606519
- UTV Live at the Limelight Preview http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/local/bands-put-in-limelight-live-on-utv-1-1881682
- The Vals Fall For Fashion Article http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/community-telegraph/entertainment/lifestyle/falling-for-fashion-at-style-extravaganza-13974911.html?r=RSS#ixzz24HAIP2ac
- The Vals play Belfast City Hall http://www.translink.co.uk/News/Press-Releases/Lord-Mayor-tunes-up-as-Belfast-City-Hall-gets-ready-to-rock-back/
- The Vals Belfast Music Week / MTV Awards Belfast http://metaphoricalboat.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/caught-live-belfast-calling.html
- Yoko Ono’s surprise letter to Northern Irish singer http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/yoko-onorsquos-surprise-letter-to-northern-irish-singer-13922025.html
- Valfest http://www.wherecanwego.com/event/210036-valfest-a-festival-of-musicpeace-and-love/events.aspx
- The Vals & Henry McCullough Press http://gigape.com/user/2011/08/02/the-vals-are-set-to-release-new-single/
- The Vals and Henry McCullough - 'Look to the One' Music Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZqz-ziZE8Q
- The Vals performing Emily O' at the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jzm03