The Vasco Era
|The Vasco Era|
|Origin||Apollo Bay, Victoria , Australia|
|Past members||Sid O'Neil
Originally from Apollo Bay, but now based in Melbourne, the band's members are brothers Sid (vocals, guitar, lapsteel, rototoms) and Ted (bass) O'Neil and Michael Fitzgerald (drums). In 2004 the band won the Australian National Campus Band Competition, the largest band competition in the southern hemisphere.
In 2006, The Vasco Era supported Wolfmother at The Astoria in London and played major festivals in Australia including Southbound, the East Coast Blues & Roots Music Festival, The Great Escape, Groovin' The Moo, the Apollo Bay Music Festival and the Falls Festival. Also in 2006, the band flew to San Francisco to record their debut album with producer Jeff Saltzman. The first single from the album, When We All Lost It was released to radio on 29 October 2006. Their debut album "Oh We Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside" was released on 5 May 2007. It was also nominated for the 2007 J Award for Australian album of the year on Australian youth independent radio station Triple J. A second album, Lucille was released in early 2010. A self-titled third album was released on 14 October 2011.
- Oh We Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside (2007) #40 AUS
- Lucille (2010) #48 AUS
- The Vasco Era (2011) #94 AUS
- "The Embers". Southern Roots. 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- "Making waves". Melbourne: The Age. 6 May 2005. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- "The Vasco Era hit the road". TUNE! FM. 2006. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- "The Vasco Era". Faster Louder. 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- "Oh We Do Like To Be Beside the Seaside". JB HI-FI. 2006. Retrieved 2007-03-25.
- "The Vasco Era". JB HI-FI. 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-21.