The Veer Union
|The Veer Union|
The Veer Union in Sault Ste. Marie, MI, 2012
|Origin||British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Hard rock, post-grunge alternative rock|
|Years active||2004 - present|
|Past members||James Fiddler
The Veer Union is a Canadian rock band from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. They have released three studio albums, Time to Break the Spell (2006), Against the Grain (2009), and Divide the Blackened Sky (2012). As of March, 2013, the band is recording new music for a forthcoming EP, Life Support Part 1, which they expect to release sometime in 2014.
Time to Break the Spell as "Veer" (2004-2007)
The band was formed in 2004 by founders Crispin Earl, and Eric Schraeder, under the original name of "Veer". The band released one independent album, Time to Break the Spell, in 2006. After the album's release, and touring with bands like Hinder, Theory of a Deadman, Seether and Black Stone Cherry, the band was able to attract major label interest, and signed a record deal with Universal Motown Records. Once signing to the label, the band decided to change their name to "The Veer Union". The band explained that it wasn't legal problems, but rather getting away from negative situations and coming together in a more positive one.
"It was more of a band decision. Before TVU we were all in other bands and not digging the situations we were in. So we "veered" away from the negativity and came together as a "Union". Originally it was Veer, when we got signed, we added the Union."
After the band received major record label attention, the album was re-issued in August 2011.
Against the Grain (2008-2010)
Before releasing their debut album, they recorded and released a self-titled EP containing alternate versions of songs on their debut, and unreleased songs as well. The band released their debut album, Against the Grain, on April 21, 2009. Against the Grain has reached number 32 on Billboard's Top Heatseekers., and its first single, Seasons, has reached number 10 on Billboard's Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, number 16 on the Rock Songs chart and number 30 on the Alternative Songs chart. "Seasons" was also the official theme song for WWE Backlash 2009, Pittsburgh Penguins,
Despite the band's success with the album, the single "Seasons", and reports of the band getting along very well with their record label, the band was dropped from the label after touring in support of the album ended.
Divide the Blackened Sky (2011-2012)
Despite being dropped by Universal Records, the band decided to continue on without major record label support. In 2011, the band announced the title of their second album would be Divide the Blackened Sky, and would be released on smaller label Rocket Science Ventures/Red Distribution. In 2011, they held a contest to have fans submit artwork to be picked to be on the album's front cover. Divide the Blackened Sky was released on March 26, 2012, and the first single was "Bitter End". Frontman Crispin Earl said of the album, ""Our new record, Divide The Blackened Sky, is a much darker and heavier effort than our previous works. It depicts all the hard times we have been through over the last couple of years."
On February 22, 2012, it was announced that bassist Marc Roots and guitarist James Fiddler left the band. The band chose to use their previous bass tech, Winston Wolfe, as a touring replacement on bass, and decided to not find a replacement for Fiddler as the second guitarist, opting to continue as a four piece band. In April 2012, the band toured with My Darkest Days and Cavo.
In July 2012, the band announced intentions on releasing a fourth studio album, for release some time in 2013.
Life Support Part 1 (2013-present)
In early 2013, the band started a Kickstarter to help raise money towards working on future music. The band met the goal, and then began working on material in Edmonton, AB for an upcoming release, titled Life Support Part 1, which was released on December 10, 2013.
Musical style and influences
The band's musical style is most commonly described as hard rock or post-grunge. They have also been described as alternative rock. The band employs a style of dual harmonized vocals, typically between vocalist Crispin Earl and Eric Schraeder, in a similar style to the band Alice in Chains. Earl has mentioned other influences of the band as Led Zeppelin Soundgarden, and Rush.
- Crispin Earl - lead vocals (2004–present)
- Ryan Ramsdell - guitar (2013-present)
- Amal Wijayanayake - bass (2014-present)
- James Fiddler - lead guitar, background vocals (2004-2011)
- Eric Schraeder - rhythm guitar, background vocals (2004–2013)
- Marc Roots - bass (2004-2011)
- Neil Beaton - drums (2004-2013)
- Winston Wolfe - bass (2012)
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2006||Time to Break the Spell
|2009||Against the Grain
|2012||Divide the Blackened Sky
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart|
|2009||The Veer Union EP
|2012||Demos & Bsides
|2013||Life Support Vol.1 - EP
|Year||Song||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2009||"Seasons"||30||10||16||Against the Grain|
|"Youth of Yesterday"||—||23||49|
|2010||"Darker Side of Me"||—||26||—|
|2012||"Bitter End"||—||—||—||Divide the Blackened Sky|
|2013||"Brave the Impossible"||—||—||—||Life Support: Volume 1|
|2014||"Borderline"||—||—||—||Divide the Blackened Sky|
- The Veer Union – Divide the Blackened Sky Album Review | Lithium Magazine
- The Veer Union – Divide The Blackened Sky (2012) « Hard Rock Hideout
- The Veer Union, ‘Divide the Blackened Sky’ – Album Review
- The Veer Union: 'Divide The Blackened Sky' Listening Party On UG | News @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
- The Veer Union - Music Biography, Credits and Discography : AllMusic
- "Total Assault - The Veer Union". Total Assault. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- The Veer Union Interview | Contactmusic.com
- Melodic Net - Interview
- Archived Release Dates – 2011 :: Rock Access – Rock News
- "Top Heatseekers - Against the Grain". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-05-03.[dead link]
- "Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks - Seasons". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-05-03.
- "Defy Ordinary - Opening Intro". PensTV. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- The Blacktooth - Interview with The Veer Union vocalist Crispin Earl
- Sick Puppies Return With New CD and Hurt Tour - Sick Puppies News @ antiMusic.com
- Interview With The Veer Union
- THE VEER UNION Interview: Eric Schraeder Divides The Blackened Sky : Metalholic
- The Veer Union Title New Album - tunelab™
- FMQB: Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!
- The Veer Union’s Crispin Earl Dishes on Current Music Industry, Love for Def Leppard + More
- Interview: The Veer Union Talks About The State Of The Record Industry - Front Row Rock | Front Row Rock
- The Veer Union – Divide The Blackened Sky « The NewReview
- The Veer Union Chat With Tri-staterock - Tri-State Rock
- SarkoTalk Interview - Crispin Earl/The Veer Union
- "The Veer Union > Against the Grain > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Divide the Blackened Sky - The Veer Union : Awards : AllMusic
- Official Website of The Veer Union
- Billboard's Artist Biography
- Interview with The Veer Union on UpVenue
- The Veer Union Facebook Page