The VeggieTales Show
|The VeggieTales Show|
The VeggieTales Show Logo
|Created by||Phil Vischer|
|Based on||VeggieTales (1993-2015 video series)|
|Written by||Phil Vischer|
|Screenplay by||Tod Carter|
|Voices of||Phil Vischer|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Executive producer(s)||Todd Waterman|
|Production company(s)||Big Idea Entertainment|
Trinity Broadcasting Network
|Distributor||NBCUniversal Television Distribution|
|Original network||Trinity Broadcasting Network|
Smile of a Child
|Original release||October 22, 2019|
The VeggieTales Show is an upcoming television series and a revival of the American Christian computer-animated franchise VeggieTales. The series is produced by TBN and Big Idea Entertainment and is scheduled to premiere on TBN on October 22, 2019.
Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki (the creators of the original VeggieTales series) will reprise their respective roles as the voices of Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber, as well as their other characters they'd voiced in the past (including Mr. Nezzer), and Lisa Vischer will also return to reprise her role as Junior Asparagus. Kurt Heinecke will also return to compose the show's music score. They will join the creative team led by show-runner Todd Waterman who also worked on such projects as the 1998 Disney film, Mulan and Transformers: Prime.
The show will focus on the VeggieTales characters putting on Broadway-style shows in the Nezzer theater that retell Bible stories and parody mainstream Pop-culture. Phil Vischer says the show will start with a question in the form of a letter from a kid, and then Bob and Larry will respond to that question by putting on a show. However, the shows will not go as planned and will often result in complete chaos.
It's really all about Bob and Larry wanting to put on a show for kids. They want to teach things to kids. Bob wants to help kids, Larry wants to help Bob.— Phil Vischer
Most of the new episodes will act out stories and lessons from the Bible. The show will include a nine-episode series about the fruit of the Spirit. There will also be new adventures with LarryBoy and the League of Incredible Vegetables. According to Phil Vischer, the first season will consist of 18 episodes in which Vischer will write the first ten and Nawrocki will write the last eight. The series will provide VeggieTales content through 2021.
Most of the characters will be the same from the other VeggieTales videos. The show brings back Mr. Nezzer, as the owner of the theater in which the show takes place. It also features Petunia Rhubarb as the President of the VeggieTales fan club. Khalil the half-worm half-caterpillar will be featured in the orchestra pit. Bruce Onion from Celery Night Fever will also return as the orchestra’s conductor. Goliath from Dave and the Giant Pickle has been teased in storyboards from the teaser trailer dressed as a Christmas tree, with possibilities that he will be included in the series too.
Some characters from the Netflix series will be in the show, including Callie Flower. Phil Vischer also stated in a radio interview that no new characters will be created, but all the characters previously created within the franchise are penned to be revived and utilized in the new series. 
The show will take place in a theater that is owned by Mr. Nezzer. The VeggieTales characters will perform on a stage. There will be other veggies watching the show from the seats in the auditorium and balconies. There will also be a backstage area in which the VeggieTales characters will plan and practice the shows. It is inspired by the setting of The Muppet Show, with similarities in visual and conceptual design to the Muppet Theater and its backstage area.
- Phil Vischer as Bob the Tomato, Archibald Asparagus, Mr. Lunt, Jimmy Gourd, Pa Grape, Mr. Nezzer, Phillipe Pea, Goliath, Additional voices
- Mike Nawrocki as Larry the Cucumber, Jerry Gourd, Jean-Claude Pea, Additional voices
- Lisa Vischer as Junior Asparagus, Additional voices
- Tim Hodge as Khalil the Caterpillar
- Kira Buckland
- Tress MacNeille
- Erica Lindbeck
- VeggieTales Official (April 24, 2019), VeggieTales is Back: Brand New VeggieTales Show Trailer, retrieved April 30, 2019
- VeggieTales (August 7, 2019). "Say hello to an all-new Veggie show coming October 22". Facebook. Facebook. Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- "The Holy Post : Ep 346: Confronting the Evangelical Industrial Complex with Julie Roys". thephilvischerpodcast.libsyn.com. Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- "TBN and Big Idea Content Group Partner to Produce All-New "VeggieTales" Episodes". TBN. April 4, 2019. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
- K-LOVE Positive People: VeggieTales is Reborn – Co-Creator Phil Vischer Gets Back to Basics, retrieved May 23, 2019
- The Peach from the IRS (April 14, 2019), More Details on 'The VeggieTales Show', retrieved May 2, 2019
- "The Holy Post : Ep 346: Confronting the Evangelical Industrial Complex with Julie Roys". thephilvischerpodcast.libsyn.com. Retrieved May 3, 2019.