|Written by||Jeremy Paxman|
|Directed by||John Hay|
|Presented by||Jeremy Paxman|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||4|
|Executive producer(s)||Basil Comely|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||BBC Television|
|Original network||BBC One
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||5.1 Surround Sound|
|Original release||15 February– 8 March 2009|
The Victorians - Their Story In Pictures is a 2009 British documentary series which focuses on Victorian art and culture. The four-part series is written and presented by Jeremy Paxman and debuted on BBC One at 9:00pm on Sunday 15 February 2009.
|1||Painting the Town||15 February 2009||Jeremy Paxman investigates the most dramatic development of the Victorian age: cities|
|2||Home Sweet Home||22 February 2009||An exploration of the Victorian home|
|3||Having It All||1 March 2009||How railways, factories, and military might made Britain the richest country in the world.|
|4||Dreams and Nightmares||8 March 2009||How artists led a revolt against Victorian values of morality.|
A book written by Paxman was published to accompany the series titled The Victorians: Britain Through the Paintings of the Age. In his introduction, Paxman acknowledged that the Irish writer Neil Hegarty had played a significant role in editing the book and bringing it to completion. Paxman was praised by academics and figures in the publishing industry for acknowledging Hegarty's substantial contribution. In the book, Paxman wrote that all television is a collaborative exercise, "so it is rather silly for this book - which accompanies a television series - to appear with only one name on the cover."
A region 2 DVD two disc set The Victorians was released 15 June 2009.
- Midgley, Neil (8 August 2008). "Paxman to interrogate the Victorians for BBC1". London: Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 17 February 2009.
- Holmwood, Leigh (16 February 2009). "TV ratings: Paxman's Victorians launches with more than 4m". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 17 February 2009.
- "Review of The Victorians: Britain Through the Paintings of the Age by Jeremy Paxman". London: Times Online. 8 February 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2009.
- Flood, Alison (20 March 2009). "Jeremy Paxman too busy to finish his own bestseller". London: The Guardian.
- The Victorians - Their Story In Pictures at bbc.co.uk
- Times article by Jeremy Paxman, 7 February 2009
|This article related to a BBC television programme is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This documentary-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|