The Villages Charter Schools
|The Villages Charter Schools|
|251 Buffalo Trail
The Villages, Florida 32162
|School district||Sumter District Schools|
Dr. Bill Zwick (2012–15) Dr. Jason Spencer (2015–2017)Dr. Bill Zwick (2017-)
|Grades||Pre-K – 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||14|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold
The Villages Charter Schools (VCS) is a state-operated charter school in The Villages CDP in unincorporated Sumter County, Florida, United States. Children are eligible to attend the charter school they live in The Villages or if either of their parents work for The Villages.
The school is located on several campuses. The Villages Early Childhood Center and the Primary Center, which houses Kindergarten through 1st Grade of The Villages Charter Elementary School, is located at 420 Village Campus Circle. The Intermediate Center, which houses 2nd Grade through 4th Grade of The Villages Charter Elementary School, is located at 521 Old School Road. The Villages Charter Middle School is located at 450 Village Campus Circle. The Villages Charter High School and the Central Administration are located at 251 Buffalo Trail.
Sumter District Schools granted permission to create the charter school in September 1999. Groundbreaking began in October of that year. The elementary school opened in 2000. The dedication of the middle school was on August 30, 2001. In November of that year the early childhood program began. The Primary Center opened in August 2002. The original elementary building took grades 3 through 5, while the new building took Kindergarten through Grade 2. The groundbreaking ceremony for the high school took place in October 2002. The high school opened in August 2003.
Mass School Shooting Plot Foiled
On January 26, 2017, two male students at The Villages Middle School, a 13-year-old and a 14-year-old, were arrested at their homes and charged with conspiracy to commit murder. Law enforcement and school officials had followed up on rumours and discovered that some students had been warned not to come to school on Friday. In interviewing the 13-year-old suspect, officials learned of the 14-year-old's involvement. The 14-year-old student acknowledged his involvement in conversations with the 13-year-old student while referencing the Columbine High School shooting. The student informed officials that the two students had planned an attack which included what they would use as a signal to begin shooting. Law enforcement officials found firearms at both the students' homes.
Enrollment Guidelines: There are three groups of families whose children are eligible for enrollment in The Villages Charter School:
- Children who have a parent who is a direct employee of The Villages.
- Children who have a parent who is an employee of a direct (first-tier) subcontractor of The Villages. The employee must receive a Form W-2 from the sub-contractor, not a Form 1099. Lower-tier subcontractors (i.e., those who do not have a direct contract with The Villages) or subcontractors hired and paid by residents or businesses of The Villages do not qualify.
- Children who have a parent who is an employee of a business operating within The Villages.
Although there are three designated "family units" within The Villages, students living in those areas do not automatically qualify for enrollment; they must meet one of the three criteria listed above.
The School verifies eligibility monthly.
- "Test Scores & Stats". Villages Charter School. GreatSchools.org. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- "Welcome." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "Charter-in-the-Workplace." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "Early Childhood Center." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "The Villages Charter Elementary School." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "The Villages Charter Middle School." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "The Villages Charter School History & Timeline." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "2 Teens Arrested After Planning Mass Shooting at Florida Middle School, Police Say". ABC News. Jan 27, 2017. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Mass shooting plot at Florida middle school foiled, deputies say". CBS News. Jan 27, 2017. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "Florida teens accused of planning school shooting". CNN. Jan 27, 2017. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- Williams, Erin (Jan 28, 2017). "VCS heightens security after Mass shooting plot". The Villages Daily Sun. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
- "2008–2009 School Year Uniform Policy for Kindergarten through 12th Grade." The Villages Charter Schools. Retrieved on December 11, 2008.
- "2011 School Enrollment Information." More accurate information on who is eligible for enrollment. Retrieved on August 31, 2011