The Voice (Bible translation)
|Full name||The Voice™|
|OT published||April 2012|
|NT published||November 2011|
|Translation type||dynamic equivalent|
|Reading level||Middle school|
|Copyright||2008, 2011 The Voice, Thomas Nelson|
The Voice is a modern language, dynamic equivalent English translation of the Bible developed by Thomas Nelson (a subsidiary of News Corp) and the Ecclesia Bible Society. The original New Testament was released in January 2011, the revised and updated New Testament was released in November 2011, and the full Bible was released in April 2012.
Interesting features of this translation were the decisions the team made in rendering certain words. The team chose to render:
- The Hebrew Tetragrammaton (e.g., Genesis 2:4) as The Eternal rather than a common title such as The LORD or a transliteration such as Yahweh or Jehovah. (Such a translation rendering is not unique to The Voice; there are other Bible translations such as the Moffatt, New Translation of 1922 that have rendered the Tetragrammaton in this manner.)
- The Greek Logos (e.g., John 1:1) as The Voice rather than The Word which is used in most Bible translations, or the less common Logos as used in such translations as the Moffatt, New Translation of 1922 or the Emphatic Diaglott (a Greek-English Interlinear, first published in 1864 by Benjamin Wilson).
- The Greek Christos (e.g., Matthew 1:1) as the Anointed One instead of Christ. (The Passion Translation also uses the Anointed One.)
The Voice has been harshly received by some fundamentalist critics. For instance, Baptist pastor Randy White writes: "The Voice reads like a New Age book. The familiar 'I am the way, the truth, and the life' of John 14:6 is rendered, 'I am the path, the truth, and the energy of life.' This and hundreds of other verses simply ooze with New Age terminology."
- "The Voice New Testament: Step Into the Story of Scripture". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "The Voice New Testament, Paperback". Thomas Nelson Bibles. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "The Voice Bible, Hardcover". Thomas Nelson Bibles. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 2 - The Voice". Bible Gateway. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Bible Gateway passage: John 1:1 - The Voice". Bible Gateway. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 1 - The Voice". Bible Gateway. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- "Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 1:1 - The Passion Translation". Bible Gateway. Retrieved 2020-08-30.
- White, Randy. "The Voice Bible Review". randywhiteministries.org. Retrieved 3 February 2020.