The More You Know (block)
Cozi TV (2017-present)
|Launched||October 8, 2016|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Owner||leased by Litton Entertainment subsidiary of Hearst Television|
|Format||Saturday morning E/I block|
|Running time||3 hours|
The More You Know is an American programming block that is programmed by the Litton Entertainment autonomous unit of the Hearst Television subsidiary of the Hearst Corporation, and debuted on October 8, 2016. It airs on Saturday mornings on NBC, and as of 2017 is replayed Sunday mornings on sister network Cozi TV.
Based on NBCUniversal's series of public service campaigns, the three-hour Saturday morning block features live-action programming aimed at Kids and teens that are designed to meet federally mandated educational programming guidelines.
The block followed the discontinuation of NBC Kids (which aired live-action and animated preschool-oriented programming from Sprout), and is Litton's fourth E/I-centric programming block across the major U.S. television networks, joining three other Litton blocks: Litton's Weekend Adventure (ABC), CBS Dream Team (CBS), and One Magnificent Morning (The CW).
On February 24, 2016, NBC announced that it would discontinue its existing Saturday morning block NBC Kids, which was programmed by Sprout (now Universal Kids), in favor of The More You Know, a new, three-hour block produced by Litton Entertainment, that would feature live-action educational programming aimed towards teenagers and their parents. The block serves as a brand extension of The More You Know—a series of public service campaigns first launched by NBC in 1989.
NBC Kids aired for the final time on September 25, 2016. It was the last weekend morning block across the major U.S. commercial broadcast networks that featured programs for children. Such content has shifted towards cable networks and online video on demand services for cartoons and other youth-oriented live-action programming due to those platform's less-onerous regulations for children's content.
In announcing the partnership, NBC chairman Ted Harbert stated that "by coupling Litton's unparalleled expertise with NBC's iconic 'The More You Know' brand, we are excited to help families come together to enjoy, watch and learn." Litton's CEO Dave Morgan stated that the company was "proud to partner" with NBC in associating its programming with a "renowned educational brand".
- The Voyager with Josh Garcia (October 8, 2016 - present)
- Wilderness Vet with Dr. Oakley (October 8, 2016 - present)
- Journey with Dylan Dreyer (October 8, 2016 - present)
- Naturally, Danny Seo (October 8, 2016 - present)
- The Champion Within with Lauren Thompson (October 8, 2016 - present)
- Health + Happiness with Mayo Clinic (April 7, 2018 - present)
- Give (October 8, 2016 - March 31, 2018)
- "NBC and Litton Entertainment Announce Fall 2016 Line-Up for The More You Know Programming Block". The Futon Critic. August 8, 2016. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- Middleton, Richard (February 26, 2016). "NBC, Litton prep factual block". C21Media. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "CBS Slates Teen-Centric Programming Block For Saturdays". Deadline Hollywood. July 24, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2014.
- James, Meg (July 24, 2013). "CBS partners with Litton Entertainment for Saturday teen block". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 25, 2013.
- Albiniak, Paige (June 5, 2014). "Litton Teams with The CW on New E/I Block". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Ostrow, Joanne (June 5, 2014). "CW adds Saturday morning teen block". The Denver Post. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Garber, Megan (September 16, 2014). "'The More You Know': There's More to Know". The Atlantic. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- Malone, Michael (February 24, 2016). "NBC, Litton Partner on 'The More You Know' Block". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved February 25, 2016.
- "NBC and Litton Entertainment Announce New Educational Series Set to Premiere on Saturday, April 7". Litton Entertainment. Retrieved 2018-03-29.