Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
|Products||Luxury hotels, Resorts|
Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, formerly The Waldorf-Astoria Collection, is a Hilton Worldwide luxury hotel and resort brand. It is positioned as the flagship brand within Hilton's portfolio, being used on hotels which offer the highest standards of facilities and service.
In January 2006, Hilton Hotels, Inc announced it would launch a luxury brand called The Waldorf Astoria Collection, branded after the flagship The Waldorf Astoria in New York City. In 2014, this property was sold to Chinese investors, while Hilton still manages the hotel under its brand. Some of Hilton's properties carry the "Waldorf" name in their title, but are not part of the actual Waldorf Astoria chain—the The Waldorf Hilton, London being an example.
As of April 2007, there were four properties—the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix, La Quinta Resort & Spa in La Quinta, California, The Waldorf Astoria in New York and the Grand Wailea Resort & Spa in Wailea, Maui, Hawaii. Later in 2007, the Qasr Al Sharq in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, was added to the portfolio. The next property to join the portfolio was the Rome Cavalieri, a rebranding and upgrading of the Cavalieri in Rome, Italy, in early summer 2008. During the fall of 2008, three Florida hotels, located in Boca Raton, Key West and Naples, were also added. In July 2009, the Dakota Mountain Lodge opened in Park City, Utah; it later dropped the "Dakota Mountain Lodge" title and is now known simply as Waldorf Astoria Park City. It is the first ski resort to join the portfolio. In January 2014, the first Waldorf Astoria opened doors in Dubai, on the Palm Jumeirah. In March 2014 the Waldorf Astoria Beijing opened its doors. May 1, 2014 Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam received its first guests.
In October 2014, the Hilton Worldwide Holdings announced the sale of the Waldorf Astoria New York Hotel to Chinese Anbang Insurance Group for $1.95 billion. The Hilton group continues to operate the hotel under a 100-year management contract with the buyer. This sale had a negative impact on the hotel's reputation, raising suspicions that China would put surveillance equipment in the hotel. In September 2015, president Barack Obama decided not to stay at the Waldorf Astoria New York because of Chinese spying threats.
The following tables detail the properties of Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts as of November 2012, in alphabetical order by the complete name of the property:
|Arizona Biltmore Hotel, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Phoenix, Arizona||United States||1929|
|Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Boca Raton, Florida||United States|
|Boca Raton Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Boca Raton, Florida||United States||1926 as the Ritz-Carlton Cloister Inn|
|Casa Marina Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Key West, Florida||United States|
|El Conquistador, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Fajardo, Puerto Rico||United States|
|Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Wailea, Hawaii||United States||1991 as the Grand Hyatt Wailea|
|La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||La Quinta, California||United States||1926|
|Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Fajardo, Puerto Rico||United States|
|Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Resort||Rome||Italy|
|The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||Key West, Florida||United States|
|The Roosevelt New Orleans, A Waldorf Astoria Resort||New Orleans, Louisiana||United States||2009 (1893 as "The Hotel Grunewald")|
|Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel||Versailles||France||1910|
|Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam||Amsterdam||Netherlands||2014 (in buildings from 1665-1687)|
|Waldorf Astoria Beijing||Beijing||China|
|Waldorf Astoria Berlin||Berlin||Germany||2013|
|Waldorf Astoria Chicago||Chicago, Illinois||United States||2012 (2009 as The Elysian)|
|Waldorf Astoria Dubai Palm Jumeirah||Dubai||UAE||2013|
|Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian||Edinburgh||Scotland, UK||2011 (1903 as The Caledonian)|
|Waldorf Astoria Jeddah, Qasr Al Sharq||Jeddah||Saudi Arabia|
|Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem||Jerusalem||Israel||2014 (1929-35 as Palace Hotel)|
|Waldorf Astoria New York||New York City, New York||United States||1931 - closing in March 2017 for renovation (2 years) Since February 2017, the city landmark commission is considering landmarking the hotel's interiors.|
|Waldorf Astoria Orlando||Orlando, Florida||United States|
|Waldorf Astoria Panama||Panama City||Panama|
|Waldorf Astoria Park City||Park City, Utah||United States|
|Waldorf Astoria Ras al-Khaimah||Ras al-Khaimah||UAE|
|Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund||Shanghai||China||2011 (old wing built 1911; 1920s-30s as the Shanghai Club)|
|Waldorf Astoria Bangkok||Bangkok||Thailand||2017|
|Waldorf Astoria Hainan Baoting Resort||Baoting||China||2016|
|Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills||Beverly Hills, California||USA||2017|
|Waldorf Astoria Mega Kuningan||Jakarta||Indonesia||2015|
|Waldorf Astoria Montréal||Montreal, Quebec||Canada||2020|
|Waldorf Astoria San Francisco||San Francisco||USA||2020|
|Waldorf Astoria Sanya||Haitang Bay||China||2017|
|Waldorf Astoria Bali||Bali||Indonesia||2017|
|Waldorf Astoria Thamrin One||Jakarta||Indonesia||2019|
Ranking and awards
- 7th best hotel in the world by the Conde Nast travellers' choice survey (2015) for the Waldorf Astoria in Jerusalem.
In August 2014, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts launched the Waldorf Astoria Driving Experiences in 6 of its hotels in the USA, which consists in offering VIP guests the chance to get behind the wheel of high-end sports car under the supervision of a racing professional. In 2017, the Waldorf Astoria group launched a partnership with the Italian muscle car manufacturer Lamborghini to provide exceptional cars for the Driving Experiences.
- "Hilton to sell Waldorf Astoria NY for $1.95b". Hotel News Now. 6 October 2014.
- "Tourism column: Naples resort joins Waldorf-Astoria". The News-Press. Retrieved 2008-08-09.[dead link]
- "Guests of Waldeorf AStoria Dubai Palm Jumeirah spoiled by luxurious choices". Dubaichronicle.com. 12 January 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Charles V. Bagli (6 October 2014). "Waldorf-Astoria to Be Sold in a $1.95 Billion Deal". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Dan Friedman (13 October 2014). "State Department concerned about Chinese spying at Waldorf Astoria after sale to insurance company with possible Communist Party ties". Nydailynews.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Matthew Rosenberg (11 September 2015). "Obama Won’t Stay at Waldorf Astoria for U.N. Event; Security Concerns Are Cited". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Brandon Friederich (24 January 2017). "The Waldorf Astoria". Mexim.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Jon Livesey; Michael Leidig (24 January 2017). "Deluxe five-star Dubai hotel says flesh-flashing Russian models are tarnishing family image with 'erotic' snaps". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Waldorf Astoria Home Page". Retrieved July 10, 2012.
- Nancy Trejos (3 January 2017). "Waldorf Astoria New York to shut down for renovation". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Breandan Krisel (25 January 2017). "Waldorf Astoria Interiors Could Be Landmarked By February". Patch.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Peter Greenberg Worldwide—The Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates". Petergreenberg.com. 4 February 2017. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- Hess, Glenden. "Waldorf Astoria to Open in San Francisco – SFLUXE". Sfluxe.net. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Daniel K. Eisenbud, Jerusalem’s Waldorf Astoria ranked 7th best hotel in world, The Jerusalem Post, 7 January 2016 (Accessed 10 February 2017)
- "Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts Unveils Ultimate Driving Experiences". Waldorfastoria.com. 14 August 2014. Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "2017 Driving Experiences". Hilton.com. Retrieved 10 February 2017.