The Walking Dead (franchise)
|The Walking Dead|
|Created by||Robert Kirkman|
|Original work||The Walking Dead|
|Films and television|
The Walking Dead is a media franchise created by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore including a comic book series, two television series, six novels, video games, and various other media such as audio books and sound tracks.
- 1 Comic book series
- 2 Television series
- 3 Films
- 4 Web series
- 5 Games
- 5.1 Board games
- 5.2 Card games
- 5.3 Miniatures games
- 5.4 Video games
- 5.4.1 Telltale Games
- 5.4.2 The Walking Dead: Social Game
- 5.4.3 Survival Instinct
- 5.4.4 The Walking Dead: Dead Reckoning
- 5.4.5 The Walking Dead: Road to Survival
- 5.4.6 The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
- 5.4.7 The Escapists: The Walking Dead
- 5.4.8 Overkill's The Walking Dead
- 6 Novels
- 7 Other products
- 8 Parodies
- 9 References
Comic book series
First issued in 2003 by publisher Image Comics, the series was created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore (who was later replaced by Charlie Adlard from issue #7 onward, though Moore continued to do the covers through issue #24.) The Walking Dead received the 2010 Eisner Award for Best Continuing Series at San Diego Comic-Con International.
|First aired||Last aired|
|The Walking Dead||1||6||October 31, 2010||December 5, 2010||Frank Darabont||Released|
|2||13||October 16, 2011||March 18, 2012||Glen Mazzara|
|3||16||October 14, 2012||March 31, 2013|
|4||October 13, 2013||March 30, 2014||Scott M. Gimple|
|5||October 12, 2014||March 29, 2015|
|6||October 11, 2015||April 3, 2016|
|7||October 23, 2016||April 2, 2017|
|8||October 22, 2017||April 15, 2018|
|9||October 7, 2018||2019||Angela Kang||Airing|
|Fear the Walking Dead||1||6||August 23, 2015||October 4, 2015||Dave Erickson||Released|
|2||15||April 10, 2016||October 2, 2016|
|3||16||June 4, 2017||October 15, 2017|
|4||April 15, 2018||September 30, 2018||Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg|
The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead is an American television drama series developed by Frank Darabont. The series stars Andrew Lincoln as sheriff's deputy Rick Grimes, who awakens from a coma to find the world dominated by flesh-eating "walkers", resembling the zombies of George A. Romero's horror films. He sets out to find his family and encounters other survivors along the way.
The Walking Dead premiered on October 31, 2010 on the cable television channel AMC in the United States. Based on its reception, AMC renewed the series for a second season of 13 episodes, which premiered on October 16, 2011. Two episodes into the second season, AMC announced that the show would return for a third season, airing on October 14, 2012. It is presently airing its eighth season, starting on October 22, 2017.
The series has been well received and has received many award nominations, including a Writers Guild of America Award nomination and a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Television Series Drama. The series has also attained strong Nielsen ratings, beating various records for a cable series, including receiving 15.5 million viewers for its season three midseason finale, and 17.29 viewers for its season five premiere, to become the most-watched basic cable drama telecast in history.
Fear the Walking Dead
Fear the Walking Dead is an American horror drama television series created by Robert Kirkman and Dave Erickson, acting as a companion series and prequel to The Walking Dead. The series premiered on AMC on August 23, 2015, and it has been renewed for a third season to air in 2017; as well as been renewed for a fourth season on April 14 2017, before the season three premiere. In July 2018 the show was renewed for a fifth season set to air in 2019.
Set initially in Los Angeles, California, the series follows a dysfunctional family composed of high school guidance counselor Madison Clark, her boyfriend and English teacher Travis Manawa, her daughter Alicia, and her drug-addicted son Nick, at the onset of the zombie apocalypse. The four must either revamp themselves or cling to their deep flaws as they come to terms with the impending collapse of civilization.
In November 2018, Scott Gimple confirmed on Talking Dead that three AMC Original Films of The Walking Dead are in development with Andrew Lincoln signed on to reprise his role as Rick Grimes, which the films would be focused on after his exit on the television series. Pollyanna McIntosh will reprise her role of Jadis. Production on the film is set to begin in 2019. It was also confirmed by Gimple that the films would air exclusively on AMC.
The Walking Dead: Torn Apart
The web series tells the origin story of Hannah, also known as "Bicycle Girl", the walker whom Rick Grimes killed in the first episode. Rick risks a walker encounter to go back and find Hannah before he sets out for Atlanta. After telling her he is "sorry this happened to you," Rick shoots her in what is clearly a humanitarian gesture, which reveals much about Rick's own character and sets a tone for the rest of season one.
The Walking Dead: Cold Storage
The Walking Dead: Cold Storage is a four-part web series based on the television series The Walking Dead. It aired in its entirety on October 1, 2012, on AMC's official website, two weeks before the premiere of the third season of the show.
The web series follows the story of a young man named Chase as he seeks shelter in a storage facility commanded by a malicious employee named B.J. This web series marks a second installment, following The Walking Dead: Torn Apart, which aired a year earlier.
The Walking Dead: The Oath
This series tells the origin of the "Don't Open, Dead Inside" paint on the cafeteria doors of the hospital Rick Grimes awakes in, post-apocalypse. It follows Paul and Karina as they escape their zombie-overrun camp in search of a medical station. The central theme of the series examines the will to persevere in the face of inevitable death.
Fear the Walking Dead: Flight 462
The web series tells the story of a group of passengers aboard a commercial airplane during the earliest moments of the outbreak. Over the course of the series, the plane and the lives of its passengers are put in jeopardy once they discover an infected traveler. Two of its characters, Alex and Jake, are introduced in Fear the Walking Dead season 2, episode 3 "Ouroboros".
Fear the Walking Dead: Passage
A second 16-part web series, debuted on October 17, 2016, and episodes were made available online weekly and aired as promos during the seventh season of The Walking Dead. The web series follows Sierra, a capable survivor, who helps an injured woman named Gabi.
The Walking Dead: Red Machete
A six-part webisode series entitled Red Machete first premiered on October 22, 2017. The web series tells the origin story of Rick Grimes's red machete. The series starred actors Jose Rosete, Anais Lilit, Sofia Esmaili, and Jeff Kober, reprising his role as Joe, the leader of the Claimers from the fourth season of The Walking Dead.
Multiple board games for the franchise have been released.
- Cryptozoic Entertainment has released two board games based on the TV show:
- The Walking Dead Board Game (2011)
- The Walking Dead Board Game: Best Defense was released in 2013, as well as an expansion
- Keith Tralins, Brian-David Marshall, and Matthew Wang have released two games based on the comic:
- Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead: The Board Game (2011), released by Z-Man Games
- The Walking Dead: The Prison (November 2014), released by Alliance Game Distributors
- A The Walking Game version of Monopoly has been released
- A The Walking Game version of Risk has been released
- Cryptozoic released The Walking Dead Card Game in 2013
The Walking Dead: All Out War
In January 2016, Mantic Games announced plans to release a tabletop miniature wargame based on The Walking Dead, named The Walking Dead: All Out War.
The Walking Dead: Season One
On February 18, 2011, Telltale Games announced plans to create an episodic video game based on the comics, was scheduled to debut in fall 2011, but finally was released on April 24, 2012. Kirkman has said that, unlike typical zombie games such as Left 4 Dead, it focuses more on characterization and emotion than action. The video game includes known characters and also introduces characters not shown in the comic or TV show.
From April 24, 2012 to November 20, 2012, the game released five episodes, and then released a DLC Pack in June 2013.
The game was met with critical acclaim, winning several Game of the Year awards.
The Walking Dead: Season Two
Following Season One's success, a sequel was announced for release. Its first episode was released on December 17, 2013. Its final was released on August 26, 2014.
The Walking Dead: Season Three
Telltale Games confirmed that it will produce a third season of Walking Dead, following the success of the first two seasons. The season began on December 20, 2016.
The Walking Dead: The Final Season
In July 2017 during San Diego Comic Con, Telltale Games announced that the fourth season of the series will be the final season of the game. The first of four episodes was released on August 14, 2018.
The Walking Dead: Social Game
Flash based social game on Facebook, launched in 2012 and shut down at the end of 2014.
On July 6, 2012, Activision announced a first-person shooter based on the television series, which is being developed by Terminal Reality. It was released on March 19, 2013 in North America. It was met with negative reception.
The Walking Dead: Dead Reckoning
Game for the AMC Website
The Walking Dead: Road to Survival
The Walking Dead: Road to Survival is a role-playing video game developed by Scopely based on the comic book series. It was released initially on the Android platform, later on iOS. Players complete various missions using teams, in exchange for further rewards, and more challenging stages.
The Walking Dead: No Man's Land
Game for Android/iOS
The Escapists: The Walking Dead
Overkill's The Walking Dead
In August 2014, Starbreeze Studios announced that a The Walking Dead co-op first-person shooter is in development by Overkill Software. The game is called Overkill's The Walking Dead, and it claims to deliver a "completely new co-op experience" to The Walking Dead universe that will explore new characters and storylines. It is scheduled to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Microsoft Windows in 2018. The game is being made with The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman, who says he was certain from the first day he saw the project that it was the "co-op action game fans have been waiting for." It is also the result of a new "long-term" partnership between Starbreeze and Kirkman's company Skybound Interactive. This partnership will extend "into the next decade" and marks a new era for Starbreeze, the company said.
- Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga (October 11, 2011). The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga (October 16, 2012). The Walking Dead: The Road to Woodbury.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Robert Kirkman & Jay Bonansinga (October 8, 2013). The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor: Part One.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Jay Bonansinga (March 4, 2014). The Walking Dead: The Fall of the Governor: Part Two.
- Jay Bonansinga (October 14, 2014). Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead: Descent.
- Jay Bonansinga (October 6, 2015). Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead: Invasion.
- Jay Bonansinga (October 18, 2016). Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead: Search and Destroy.
- Jay Bonansinga (October 2017). Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead: Return to Woodbury.
- McFarlane Toys manufactured action figures resembling the characters in the comic book for September 2011 release. In addition, action figures resembling characters from the TV series, including Rick Grimes, Daryl Dixon, and a dismemberable "walker", were set for release in November 2011.
- Taverncraft has produced The Walking Dead pint glasses and steins, and has a license to release lighters for the series as well.
- Titan Magazines has published The Walking Dead, The Official Magazine since October 2012 .
- Vannen Watches has produced two limited edition wrist watches featuring artwork from Charlie Adlard. The first watch was released February 2012, and came with packaging that was hand-signed by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard. The second watch was released June 2012, and came with packaging signed only by Robert Kirkman.
- Stern Pinball released a The Walking Dead pinball machine in 2014.
- The Walking Dead Volume 5: The Best Defense
- Sullivan, Michael Patrick. WEEK OF THE DEAD I: Robert Kirkman, Comic Book Resources, May 19, 2008
- Sullivan, Michael Patrick. WEEK OF THE DEAD II: Charlie Adlard, Comic Book Resources, May 20, 2008
- Tony Moore's The Walking Dead Cover Art Gallery
- "rick grimes". AMCtv.com. Retrieved March 29, 2012.
a small-town sheriff's deputy
- "The Walking Dead Premieres Halloween; Comic-Con Trailer Now Online". AMCtv.com. August 24, 2010. Archived from the original on August 27, 2010. Retrieved August 24, 2010.
- "AMC Resurrects "The Walking Dead" for a Second Season" (Press release). AMC. November 8, 2010. Retrieved November 8, 2010.
- Webb Mitovich, Matt (July 22, 2011). "The Walking Dead Reveals Season 2 Premiere Date, Creepy-Good New Trailer". TVLine. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "'The Walking Dead' Renewed For A Third Season By AMC" (Press release). TV by the Numbers. October 25, 2011. Retrieved October 25, 2011.
- Hibberd, James (October 16, 2016). "Walking Dead gets early season 8 renewal". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 16, 2016.
- "The Walking Dead: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved December 9, 2010.
- "The Walking Dead: Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved October 14, 2011.
- Reiher, Andrea (December 14, 2010). "2011 Golden Globes nominations: 'Glee,' '30 Rock' lead TV nominations". Zap2it. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- "AMC Garners Six WGA Award Nominations for Acclaimed Original Dramas "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad" and "The Walking Dead"" (Press release). AMC. December 8, 2010. Retrieved December 9, 2010.
- Hibberd, James (October 15, 2012). "'Walking Dead' premiere gets fall's biggest rating". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 15, 2012.
- Prudom, Laura (August 5, 2015). "'Fear the Walking Dead' Cast and Creators Talk Kickstarting the Apocalypse". Variety. Retrieved August 12, 2015.
- Slezak, Michael (July 10, 2015). "Fear the Walking Dead Trailer Is Finally Here! (And So's the Premiere Date!)". TVLine. Retrieved July 10, 2015.
- Snierson, Dan (April 15, 2016). "Fear the Walking Dead renewed for season 3". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- Nemetz, Dave; Nemetz, Dave (2017-04-14). "Fear the Walking Dead Renewed for Season 4, New Showrunners Named". TVLine. Retrieved 2017-04-14.
- "Cast". AMC. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- Cohn, Paulette (August 25, 2015). "'Fear the Walking Dead' producer: Prequel hit about 'dread, the anxiety, and paranoia'". Fox News. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "About the Show". AMC. Retrieved August 25, 2015.
- "'The Walking Dead' Executive Producer Planning Another Spinoff". comicbook.com. July 21, 2018.
- "'Walking Dead' Expansion Plans Revealed: Andrew Lincoln to Lead 3 AMC Movies". hollywoodreporter. November 5, 2018.
- "AMC Launches "The Walking Dead" Webisodes on Monday, October 3 at 2 PM" (Press release). AMC. September 27, 2011. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- Bibel, Sara (October 1, 2012). "'The Walking Dead' New Webisodes Launch on AMCTV.com on Monday, October 1". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Tribune Digital Ventures. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- Neuman, Clayton (October 1, 2012). "The Walking Dead – Cold Storage Webisodes Now Online". AMCtv.com. Archived from the original on October 2, 2012. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "AMC Launches "The Walking Dead" Webisodes on Monday, October 3 at 2 PM". The Futon Critic (Press release). Futon Media. September 27, 2011. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Neuman, Clayton (October 1, 2013). "The Walking Dead – The Oath Webisodes Now Available Online". AMC. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Petski, Denise (September 28, 2015). "'Fear The Walking Dead: Flight 462' Web Series Gets Premiere Date". Deadline.com. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- Anderson, Derek (October 22, 2017). "Watch the First Installment of New Digital Series THE WALKING DEAD RED MACHETE". Daily Dead. Retrieved February 3, 2018.
- "AMC's 'Walking Dead' Web Series Finally Crosses Over With Main Show". TooFab. December 10, 2017. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Schram, Kevin. "The Walking Dead Video Game Coming From Telltale Games [Adventure Game Makers Announce Zombie Adventure Game, Have Big Day Today In All]" Archived 2012-03-18 at the Wayback Machine, TFTS, February 18, 2011
- Telltale Games: The Walking Dead
- Robert Kirkman on 'Walking Dead' season two: 'You haven't seen anything yet'
- "Activision Reveals Walking Dead First Person Shooter'". IGN. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Report: Activision Launching Walking Dead Game". USA Today. July 6, 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "The Escapists: The Walking Dead".
- "Overkill's The Walking Dead announced".
- Keck, William. "Walking Dead Ready for Action", TV Guide, June 20, 2011, page 14
- "New 'Walking Dead' Merchandise" ICV2, November 17, 2010
- The Walking Dead Issue #1 @ Titan Magazines website. Retrieved November 20, 2014.
- Walking Dead Pinball Machine @ Skybound website. Retrieved July 01, 2018.
- The Walking Deceased