The War of the Worlds (British TV series)
|The War of the Worlds|
|Based on||The War of the Worlds|
by H. G. Wells
|Written by||Peter Harness|
|Directed by||Craig Viveiros|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Producer(s)||Betsan Morris Evans|
|Production location(s)||United Kingdom|
|Distributor||ITV Studios Global Entertainment|
|Original network||BBC One|
The War of the Worlds is a 2019 three-part British mini-series drama produced by Mammoth Screen for the BBC and co-produced with Creasun Media and Red Square. The series is an Edwardian period adaptation of the H.G. Wells' 1898 science fiction novel of the same name, and is the first British television adaptation of Wells' Martian invasion novel. The first episode of The War of the Worlds mini-series premiered on T+E in Canada on 6 October 2019, and will premiere on the BBC on 17 November 2019.
Set in Edwardian England, the mini-series follows George (Rafe Spall) and his partner Amy (Eleanor Tomlinson) as they start a life together in defiance of British society. They suddenly must face the escalating terror of an invasion of England from Mars, while also fighting for their very lives against an implacable enemy beyond humanity's comprehension.
- Eleanor Tomlinson as Amy
- Rafe Spall as George
- Rupert Graves as Frederick
- Nicholas Le Prevost as Chamberlain
- Harry Melling as Artilleryman
- Jonathan Aris as Priest
- Robert Carlyle as Ogilvy
Recurring and guest
- Charlie De'Ath as Greaves
- Joey Batey as Henderson
- Freya Allan as Mary
- Daniel Cerqueira as Stent
- Aisling Jarrett-Gavin as Lucy
- Woody Norman as George Junior
|No.||Episode||Directed by||Written by||Original Can. airdate||Original UK airdate ||UK viewers|
|1||Episode 1||Craig Viveiros||Peter Harness||6 October 2019||17 November 2019||TBD|
|2||Episode 2||Craig Viveiros||Peter Harness||13 October 2019||24 November 2019||TBD|
|3||Episode 3||Craig Viveiros||Peter Harness||20 October 2019||2019||TBD|
The War of the Worlds was first announced in December 2015, with the BBC confirming production of the series in May 2017. The series is produced by Mammoth Screen for the BBC, co-produced with Creasun Media, in association with Red Square.
The series is directed by Craig Viveiros, produced by Betsan Morris Evans, and executive produced by Damien Timmer, Preethi Mavahalli, Peter Harness and Craig Viveiros from Mammoth Screen, Tommy Bulfin from the BBC, Minglu Ma from Creasun, and Jamie Brown from Red Square.
Filming began in Liverpool in April 2018. Locations include St George's Hall, Liverpool plateau transformed into Edwardian England, Eldon Grove, Vauxhall, Liverpool where an abandoned building has been used as a London location, Sir Thomas Street, Dale Street, Ainsdale Woods, Delamere Forest and Great Budworth village in Cheshire. Filming and post-production were completed by May 2019.
The first footage of the series was released in January 2019, included in a "sizzle reel" for the BBC's upcoming series, with the first full trailer being released in September 2019.
The series is intended to be released over three episodes. Originally, it was first set to premiere in the Christmas 2018 time period. The War of the Worlds first premiered on T+E in Canada between 6 and 20 October 2019, and was broadcast on TVNZ 1 in New Zealand in two parts between 13 and 20 October 2019. Mammoth Screen announced in September 2019 that the series is expected to be released in the UK in late 2019; the first episode is set to premiere on 17 November 2019.
- "Filming begins on BBC One drama The War of the Worlds". BBC. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "BBC One - The War of the Worlds, Series 1 - Episode guide". BBC. Retrieved 10 November 2019.
- "Four-screen dashboard". Broadcasters' Audience Research Board.
- Eddy, Cheryl (18 December 2015). "A New War of the Worlds TV Show Is in the Works". Gizmodo. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Liptak, Andrew (4 May 2017). "BBC is making a Victorian-era War of the Worlds TV series". The Verge. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Goodfellow, Melanie (15 October 2018). "ITV Studios racks up pre-sales on 'The War Of The Worlds' drama". Screen Daily. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- Perez, Lexy (29 September 2019). "BBC Unveils First Look at 'War of the Worlds' Adaptation in Debut Trailer". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "Liverpool Echo". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 3 May 2018.
- Ling, Thomas (23 July 2019). "Don't worry, BBC1's The War of the Worlds IS still coming to TV". RadioTimes. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Seddon, Dan (29 September 2019). "BBC's The War of the Worlds adaptation finally lands first trailer". DigitalSpy. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Kiefer, Halle. "BBC's War of the Worlds Trailer: Tell King Edward VII to Get His Mech Suit On. The Aliens Are Here". Vulture.com. Retrieved 30 September 2019.
- "Channel Your Fears: T+E Conjures Up Five Spooky New Shows and Resurrects Two Fan-Favourite Series This October". Blue Ant Media. 5 September 2019. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "The War of the Worlds". TVNZ. 2 October 2019. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- Mammoth Screen [@mammothscreen] (9 September 2019). "#TheWarOfTheWorlds, the H.G. Wells classic science fiction adaptation by Peter Harness, directed by Craig Viveiros and starring Eleanor Tomlinson, Rafe Spall, Robert Carlyle and Rupert Graves will be arriving in autumn 2019 on @BBCOne" (Tweet). Retrieved 30 September 2019 – via Twitter.
- Mammoth Screen [@mammothscreen] (5 November 2019). "They're coming. #TheWarOfTheWorlds comes to @BBCOne on Sunday 17th November" (Tweet). Retrieved 5 November 2019 – via Twitter.
- Chu, Henry (29 September 2019). "'The War of the Worlds' Trailer Drops From the BBC (Watch)". Variety. Retrieved 30 September 2019.