The Waste Makers
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: far too simplistic,looks like something from simple English Wikipedia (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Waste Makers is a 1960 book on consumerism by Vance Packard. It was bestselling when it was released. The book argues that people in the United States consume a lot more than they should and are harmed by their consumption.
One reviewer summarized the book's thesis as follows:
American society overemphasizes consumption, especially the quantity rather than the quality of what it consumers, and that it therefore sacrifices culture, prudence, and a proper concern for the future. He blames these distorted values on the business community, especially on the marketers and advertisers who have beguiled the public into accepting false standards.
Another reviewer described how marketers "force feed" people into buying things which are wasteful.
Vance Packard worked to change the meaning of the term "consumerism" from a positive word about consumer practices to a negative word meaning excessive materialism and waste. The ads for his book The Waste Makers prominently featured the word "consumerism" in a negative way.
One reviewer said that the book is an examination of how economic growth became thought to be a virtue.
- Rees, Albert (July 1961). "The Waste-Makers and the String-Savers". The Journal of Business. University of Chicago Press. 34 (3): 367–373.
- McKay, David (Sep 30, 1960). "The Waste Makers by Vance Packard". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Glickman, Lawrence B. (2012). Buying power : a history of consumer activism in America (Paperback ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. p. 265. ISBN 978-0226298672.
- Rondell, Paul (Summer 2000). "Book Review of The Hidden Persuaders and The Waste Makers by Vance Packard". Social Contract. The Social Contract Press. 10 (4).
- Johnson, Daniel (24 September 2009). "Book review: The Waste Makers by Vance Packard.". The Salem News. Retrieved 11 July 2013.
- Lipset, Seymour Martin (January 1961). "The Waste Makers, by Vance Packard". Commentary.