The Way I Am (Ingrid Michaelson song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"The Way I Am"|
|Single by Ingrid Michaelson|
|from the album Girls and Boys|
|Released||September 18, 2007 (U.S.)|
|Ingrid Michaelson singles chronology|
On September 21, 2007, Michaelson made her network television debut performing the song on Last Call with Carson Daly.
The song is frequently used to demonstrate Bose Corporation products due to its deep bass and crisp vocals.
The song's music video was directed by Autumn de Wilde. It depicts Michaelson dancing with a man (played by Greg Laswell, whom Michaelson would later marry) in a gymnasium where everyone present, except for Michaelson, is a clown or mime. Other dancers glare at Michaelson and she runs from the dance to a bathroom, where she uses lipstick to give her reflection the appearance of a clown nose, and then labels herself a "freak." Her dance partner, a clown, has followed her and embraces her when she emerges from the bathroom. They share a kiss and leave together.
The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at #80 on October 4, 2007, and peaked at #37. The single benefited from the exposure through its use in a national television ad campaign for Old Navy sweaters. On the Canadian Hot 100, "The Way I Am" peaked at #51. It has been certified Platinum by the RIAA and has sold 1.6 million copies in the United States.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||51|
|German Singles Chart ||73|
|US Billboard Hot 100||37|
|US Billboard Adult Pop Songs||15|
|US Billboard Adult Contemporary||20|
|Austrian Singles Chart ||36|
|German Singles Chart ||69|
- IngridMichaelson (21 March 2009). "Ingrid Michaelson - "The Way I Am" - (official music video)" – via YouTube.
- "Gone Commercial: TV Ads as Unlikely Music Discovery Tool". Vertigo Shtick. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Trust, Gary (January 20, 2015). "The Biggest Hot 100 Hits to Peak at Nos. 50-26". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- GmbH, musicline.de / PhonoNet. "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de". musicline.de.
- "Ingrid Michaelson Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- Hung, Steffen. "Ingrid Michaelson - The Way I Am". austriancharts.at.