The Wayward Cloud
|The Wayward Cloud|
The Wayward Cloud film poster
|Mandarin||tiānbiān yī duǒ yún|
|Directed by||Tsai Ming-liang|
|Produced by||Bruno Pésery|
|Written by||Tsai Ming-liang|
|Edited by||Chen Sheng-chang|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox (Taiwan)
Axiom Films (UK and Ireland)
There is a water shortage in Taiwan, and television programs are teaching various water-saving methods and encouraging the drinking of watermelon juice in place of water.
Hsiao-kang (Lee) and Shiang-chyi (Chen), two characters from one of Tsai's previous films, What Time Is It There?, meet again by chance and start a relationship. However, Shiang-chyi does not know that Hsiao-kang is a pornographic film actor.
- Lee Kang-sheng - Hsiao-kang
- Chen Shiang-chyi - Shiang-chyi
- Lu Yi-ching - Mother
- Yang Kuei-mei - Taiwanese porn actress
- Sumomo Yozakura - Japanese porn actress
The film grossed more than NT$20 million in its theatrical release in Taiwan; it was a big commercial achievement for the Taiwan film industry since most Taiwan films' ticket sales usually total under NT$1 million in recent years. It has a 76% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The film was Taiwan's official entry for the 78th Academy Awards in the foreign-language category.
- "Taichung establishes new documentary film archive". Taipei Times. 2012-01-22. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Pop Stop". Taipei Times. 2012-01-22. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "The Wayward Cloud (2005)". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "The Wayward Cloud Releases". allmovie.com. Retrieved 3 February 2013.