The Wellness Community
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Wellness Community (TWC) is an international, non-profit organization that provides support and education to people with cancer and those who care for them. It was founded in Santa Monica in 1982 by Harold Benjamin, his wife Harriet Benjamin and Shannon McGowan. In addition to providing support groups, education and other programs, TWC conducts research to quantify and document the benefits of psychosocial support for people with cancer. Research is done in collaboration with Catholic University, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Rutgers University, Stanford University, University of California, Los Angeles, and University of California, San Francisco. In 2009, it merged with Gilda's Club to form the Cancer Support Community.
- Ely, Elissa (November 11, 2014). "The Remembrance Project: Dr. Harriet Berman". WBUR Boston. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- Press, The Associated (25 December 2004). "Harold Benjamin, 80, Founder of Wellness Community, Dies" – via NYTimes.com.
- "Wellness Community co-founder Harriet Benjamin dies at 85 - The Argonaut Newsweekly". argonautnews.com.
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Wall Street Journal, Laura Landro "Cancer Patients Find Support" Wednesday, November 27, 2007.
- Institute of Medicine, "Cancer Care for the Whole Patient: Meeting the Psychosocial Needs" http://www.iom.edu/?id=47228