Trib Publications was started by Robert Tribble in 1968. Tribble, previously the editor of the local weekly newspaper Manchester Mercury, bought three small weeklies, the Harris County Journal, Meriwether Vindicator and Talbotton New Era with a total circulation of 3,500. In 1976 he bought his former paper, by then called the Manchester News-Mercury. By 1984 he had 15 papers, which grew to 30 by 1995. Some of Trib's earliest Georgia acquisitions were sold in 1999 to another small paper aggregator, Millard B. Grimes of Athens, Georgia's Grimes Publications. Trib re-acquired these properties from Grimes in 2011.
Among Trib's other papers is The Western Star, a weekly in Bessemer, Alabama. The Star was established in 1984, but its predecessor titles go back to 1887 (Bessemer Advertiser 1949-1990, Tribune-Advertiser 1930-1949, Bessemer Advertiser 1920-1930, Bessemer Weekly 1889-1920, The Bessemer 1887-1889). As of 1995, its circulation was 9,500, at that time the largest circulation among Trib's papers; the circulation has since dropped to less than 3,000. The Star's offices in Charleston House are on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Downtown Bessemer Historic District.
Among Trib Publications' properties are the Manchester Star-Mercury in Manchester, Ga., the Meriwether Vindicator in Greenville, Ga., the Harris County Journal in Hamilton, Ga., the Talbotton New Era in Talbotton, Ga., the Hogansville Herald in Hogansville, Ga., the Berrien Press in Nashville, Ga., the Quitman Free Press in Quitman, Ga., the Wiregrass Farmer in Ashburn, Ga., the Leader Tribune in Fort Valley, Ga., the News Observer in Vienna, Ga., the Sandersville Progress in Sandersville, Ga., The Plus in Sandersville, Ga., the Wrightsville Headlight in Wrightsville, Ga., the Sparta Ishmaelite in Sparta, Ga., the Fayette County News and Today in Peachtree City in Fayetteville, Ga., the Houston Home Journal in Perry, Ga., the Lanier County News in Lakeland, Ga., the Upson Beacon in Thomaston, Ga., the Camilla Enterprise in Camilla, Ga., the Citizen-Georgian in Montezuma, Ga., the Adel News Tribune in Adel, Ga., the Polk County News Journal in Columbus, North Carolina, the Yancey Common Times Journal in Burnsville, North Carolina, the Marion Times-Standard in Marion, Alabama, the Centreville Press in Centreville, Alabama, the Western Star in Bessemer Alabama, the Advertizer-Herald in Bamberg, South Carolina, the Holly Hill Observer in Holly Hill, South Carolina, the Santee Striper and the Lake Community Buyer's Guide in Santee, South Carolina, the Landrum News Leader in Landrum, South Carolina, the Keowee Courier in Walhalla, South Carolina, and the Westminster News in Westminster, South Carolina.
- (13 November 1996). Oakley will manage paper in Bessemer, Tuscaloosa News
- Riordan, Tom. "Robert E. Tribble Trib Publications Manchester, Ga", Editor & Publisher, Vol. 128, No. 33 , August 19, 1995 – via Questia Online Library (subscription required)
- Franklin, Harry. "Athens, Ga., Publishing Firm Buys Newspaper Companies." Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News, February 3, 1999. – via HighBeam Research (subscription required).
- Nelson, Don. "Longtime newspaperman sells off last of his print holdings", Athens Banner-Herald, April 24, 2011.
- Ulrich's International Periodicals Directory, Volume 5, p. 9939 (1999)
- "About The Western Star", Chronicling America, Library of Congress.
- "Bessemer Western Star," MondoTimes.com (retrieved January 11, 2016)
- National Register of Historic Places: Downtown Bessemer Historic District.
- Lopez, Andres David. "Houston Home Journal sold to Trib Publications" Archived 2015-02-10 at the Wayback Machine., Macon Telegraph, April 1, 2014.