The Wild Pear Tree
|The Wild Pear Tree|
|Directed by||Nuri Bilge Ceylan|
|Produced by||Zeynep Özbatur Atakan|
|Written by||Nuri Bilge Ceylan|
|Starring||Aydin Doğu Demirkol|
|Edited by||Nuri Bilge Ceylan|
|Distributed by||Memento Films Production|
Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Box office||$1.5 million|
The Wild Pear Tree (Turkish: Ahlat Ağacı) is a 2018 Turkish drama film directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan. It was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival. It was also selected as the Turkish entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
Sinan is passionate about literature and has always wanted to be a writer. Returning to the village where he was born, he pours his heart and soul into scraping together the money he needs to be published, but his father’s debts catch up with him.
- Aydın Doğu Demirkol as Sinan
- Murat Cemcir as Idris
- Bennu Yıldırımlar as Asuman
- Hazar Ergüçlü as Hatice
- Serkan Keskin as Suleyman
- Tamer Levent as Grandfather Recep
- Akın Aksu as Imam Veysel
- Ahmet Rıfat Şungar as Ali Rıza
- Kubilay Tunçer as Ilhami
- Öner Erkan as Imam Nazmi
- Özay Fecht as Grandmother Hayriye
- Kadir Çermik as Mayor Adnan
- Ercüment Balakoğlu as Grandfather Ramazan
- Sencar Sağdıç as Nevzat
- Asena Keskinci as Yasemin
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 94%, based on 63 reviews, and an average rating of 8.39/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "The Wild Pear Tree uses a young man's post-graduation experience to pose thoughtful, engaging questions about life in modern Turkey — and the rest of the world." On Metacritic, the film has an average score of 86 out of 100, based on 21 critics, indicating "universal acclaim". It is one of the best-reviewed films that premiered at Cannes this year on the site.
- List of submissions to the 91st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Turkish submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Ahlat Agaci (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- "The 2018 Official Selection". Cannes Film Festival. 12 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa (19 April 2018). "Cannes Adds Lars von Trier's 'The House That Jack Built,' Sets Terry Gilliam's 'Don Quixote' as Closer". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- Holdsworth, Nick (17 August 2018). "Oscars: Turkey Selects 'The Wild Pear Tree' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "Nuri Bilge Ceylan'ın Ahlat Ağacı filminde oynayan Doğu Demirkol kimdir?". Posta (in Turkish). 20 April 2018. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "The Wild Pear Tree (Ahlat agaci) (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- "The Wild Pear Tree Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 9 April 2019.
- Kimbell, Keith (19 May 2018). "2018 Cannes Film Festival Recap & Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 20 May 2018.