The Witch's Curse
|The Witch's Curse|
US film poster
|Directed by||Riccardo Freda|
|Produced by||Luigi Carpentieri
|Written by||Oreste Biancoli
Ennio De Concini
|Music by||Carlo Franci|
|Edited by||Ornella Micheli|
The Witch's Curse (Italian: Maciste all'inferno) is an 1962 peplum-fantasy film, directed by Riccardo Freda. It is not a remake of a 1926 silent film with the same title directed by Guido Brignone. The sequences set in the Hell were entirely filmed in the Castellana Caves, in the province of Bari. Maciste, the leading character, was turned during the filming into an almost mute character as Freda was very unhappy with the acting skills of the main actor Kirk Morris. The film is referred as "an interpretation of mythology cum the gothic horror genre".
In the mid 1500s a witch is burned in Scotland and places a curse on the inhabitants before she dies. One hundred years later the tree she was chained to and burned still stands with no one daring to destroy it. The curse remains by forcing women to commit suicide. The descendent of the witch, Martha Gunt is sentenced to be burned for witchcraft.
As she is placed in a prison cell, Maciste comes forth to fight evil. When he uproots the cursed tree he finds an entrance to Hell where he attempts to find the original witch to rescind her curse and attempts to help the damned from their plight.
- Kirk Morris as Maciste
- Hélène Chanel as Martha Gaunt
- Vira Silenti as Fania
- Andrea Bosic as Judge Parrish
- Charles Fernley Fawcett as the Doctor
- Remo De Angelis as Prometheus
- John Karlsen
- Gina Mascetti
- Puccio Ceccarelli
- Hughes, Howard (2011). Cinema Italiano - The Complete Guide From Classics To Cult. London - New York: I.B.Tauris. ISBN 978-1-84885-608-0.
- Antonella Braida, Luisa Calè. Dante on View. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0754658961.
- Paolo Mereghetti. Il Mereghetti: dizionario dei film 2002. Baldini & Castoldi, 2001. ISBN 8884900875.
- Louis Paul. Italian Horror Film Directors. McFarland & Co Inc. ISBN 0786487496.
- Hughes, p.11
|This article related to an Italian film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a fantasy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|