The Wizards of Odd
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2019)
The Wizards of Odd is a 1996 English compilation book of humorous short stories by many great writers in the science-fiction/fantasy genre. The stories were compiled by Peter Haining. The book is separated into three sections: Wizards and Wotsits: Stories of Cosmic Absurdity, Swords and Sorcery: Tales of Heroic Fanticy, and Astronauts and Aliens: Space Opera Yarns.
Wizards and Wotsits
- "Theatre of Cruelty" by Terry Pratchett
- "How Nuth Would Have Practised his Art Upon the Gnoles" by Lord Dunsany
- "Hell Hath No Fury" by John Collier
- "The Twonky" by Henry Kuttner
- "A Great Deal of Power" by Eric Frank Russell
- "Doodad" by Ray Bradbury
- "Not By Its Cover" by Philip K. Dick
- "The Rule of Names" by Ursula K. Le Guin
Swords and Sorcery
- "Mythical Beast" by Stephen R. Donaldson
- "The Adventure of the Snowing Globe" by F. Anstey
- "Affairs in Poictesme" by James Branch Cabell
- "The Ring of Hans Carvel" by Fredric Brown
- "The Brat" by Fritz Leiber
- "A Good Knight's Work" by Robert Bloch
- "Poor Little Warrior" by Brian W. Aldiss
- "The Odd Odd Bird" by Avram Davidson
Astronauts and Aliens
- "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" by Douglas Adams
- "The Wild Asses of the Devil" by H. G. Wells
- "Ministering Angels" by C. S. Lewis
- "The Gnurrs Come from the Voodvork Out" by Reginald Bretnor
- "Captain Wyxtpthll's Flying Saucer" by Arthur C. Clarke
- "Playboy and the Slime God" by Isaac Asimov
- "There's a Wolf in my Time Machine" by Larry Niven
- "2BR02B" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Gideon Kibblewhite reviewed The Wizards of Odd for Arcane magazine, rating it a 9 out of 10 overall. Kibblewhite comments that "It's difficult to award any anthology a perfect ten because some stories are inevitably better than others; The Wizards of Odd, though, comes close: a great nine."
- Kibblewhite, Gideon (April 1996). "The Great Library". Arcane. Future Publishing (5): 81.