The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)
|"The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)"|
|Single by Shania Twain|
|from the album The Woman in Me|
|B-side||"Leaving Is the Only Way Out"|
|Released||August 9, 1995|
|Producer(s)||Robert John "Mutt" Lange|
|Shania Twain singles chronology|
"The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)" is a song co-written and recorded by Canadian country music singer Shania Twain. It was released in August 1995 as the third single and title track from her album The Woman in Me. The song was written by Mutt Lange and Twain. The song became Twain's third top-twenty hit at country radio. It was released to radio in August 1995, following the success of her previous single "Any Man of Mine". Despite not being able to crack the top-ten "The Woman in Me" was still included in Twain's 2004 Greatest Hits package.
Billboard magazine gave the single a mixed review, saying "she seems to gain some momentum on the chorus, but on the verses it seems like she doesn't quite get a vocal grasp on this song."
The music video for "The Woman in Me" was shot in Cairo and Saqqara, Egypt and directed by Markus Blunder. It was filmed during the first week of July 1995 and released on August 9, 1995 on Country Music Television. In the video, Twain is riding around on a horse through the desert by the pyramids and riding a boat down the Nile River. She is also shown walking around through ancient ruins, revealing her famous navel. To achieve the slow-motion movement while still keeping Shania's performance in sync with the audio, the song was sped up and performed at twice normal speed during shooting. In 1996 the video won the Favorite Video of the Year award at the Golden Pick Awards. The video is available on Twain's DVD The Platinum Collection.
"The Woman in Me" debuted on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart the week of August 12, 1995 at number 65. At that time, her highest debut, a record previously held by "Any Man of Mine". It spent 20 weeks on the chart and climbed to a peak position of number 14 on November 4, 1995, where it remained for one week. "The Woman in Me" became Twain's third consecutive top twenty single.
- Album Version (4:50)
- Radio Edit (3:57)
- Steel Guitarless Mix (4:50)
- Steel Guitarless Mix Radio Edit (4:03)
- US CD & Cassette single
- "The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You)" — 4:50
- "(If You're Not In It For Love) I'm Outta Here!" — 4:30
- Australian CD single
- "The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You)" (Remix) — 4:03
- "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" (Dance Mix) — 4:54
- "Leaving Is The Only Way Out" (LP Version) — 4:11
- "The Woman In Me (Needs The Man In You)" (LP Version) — 4:51
|Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM)||22|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||901|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||14|
1 "(If You're Not in It for Love) I'm Outta Here!"/"The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)"
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
- Billboard, August 12, 1995.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 4, 2007. Retrieved August 8, 2012. Shania Twain awards
- https://www.billboard.com/artist/278910/shania+twain/chart Billboard chart history
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 8542." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. September 25, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2785." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. October 23, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Shania Twain Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Shania Twain Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1995". RPM. December 18, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.