The Woman in Red (soundtrack)
|The Woman in Red|
|Soundtrack album by Stevie Wonder|
|Released||August 28, 1984|
|Genre||R&B, soul, funk, pop|
|Producer||Stevie Wonder, Gary Olazabal|
|Stevie Wonder chronology|
The Woman in Red: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack is the second soundtrack album released by American musician Stevie Wonder on the Motown label. Also featuring Dionne Warwick, the LP was released in 1984 for the film of the same name. It featured Wonder's biggest hit, "I Just Called to Say I Love You", which hit #1 internationally and won the Academy Award for Best Original Song, and also featured the follow-up hit, "Love Light in Flight" (a US top 20 hit) and "Don't Drive Drunk", the song and the accompanying music video for which were used in the Ad Council and the US Department of Transportation's Drunk Driving Prevention public service announcement the following year.
The album reached number four on the US Billboard 200 chart, #1 on the R&B Albums chart (for four weeks) and #2 on the UK Albums Chart, where it was kept off the top spot by the albums Now That's What I Call Music 3 and David Bowie's Tonight. After Songs in the Key of Life and Hotter Than July, Wonder reached #2 in the UK charts failing to achieve a #1 album, a milestone that he never was able to achieve. However, "I Just Called to Say I Love You" was a massive hit in the UK, reaching #1, becoming the second best-selling single of 1984 (only behind Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?") and the third most successful single of the entire 1980s there. (With 1.775 million copies sold only in the UK, the single is actually the thirteenth most successful ever in Britain).
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
All songs written by Stevie Wonder, except "It's More Than You" by Ben Bridges.
- "The Woman in Red" - 4:39
- "It's You" (with Dionne Warwick) - 4:55
- "It's More Than You" (Instrumental) - 3:15
- "I Just Called to Say I Love You" - 6:16
- "Love Light in Flight" - 6:54
- "Moments Aren't Moments" (Solo by Dionne Warwick) - 4:32
- "Weakness" (with Dionne Warwick) - 4:13
- "Don't Drive Drunk" - 6:33
- Note: Later pressings of the compact disc have the radio edit of "I Just Called to Say I Love You", due to its popularity.
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|Japan (Oricon Charts)||286,000|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Ruhlmann, William (1984-08-28). "Allmusic review". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- Christgau, Robert (1984). "Consumer Guide". The Village Voice (October 30). New York. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "Stevie Wonder: Album Guide | Rolling Stone Music". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "austriancharts.at Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in black" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved February 20, 2013
- "dutchcharts.nl Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in Red" (ASP). Hung Medien. MegaCharts. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1984" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "charts.org.nz Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in Red" (ASP). Hung Medien. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "norwegiancharts.com Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in Red" (ASP). Hung Medien. VG-lista. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "swedishcharts.com Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in Red" (ASP) (in Swedish). Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in Red – hitparade.ch" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Swiss Music Charts. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Chart Stats – Stevie Wonder And Dionne Warwick – The Woman in Red (original soundtrack)". UK Albums Chart. Archived from the original (PHP) on June 4, 2012. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "allmusic ((( The Woman in Red > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Album Search: Soundtrack/Stevie Wonder – The Woman in Red" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Austriancharts.at - Jahreshitparade 1984" (ASP) (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1984". RPM. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Dutch charts jaaroverzichten 1984" (ASP) (in Dutch). Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Les Albums (CD) de 1984 par InfoDisc" (PHP) (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- articles with dead external links%5d%5d%5b%5bCategory:Articles with dead external links from February 2016%5d%5d[%5b%5bWikipedia:Link rot|dead link%5d%5d] "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts" Check
|archiveurl=value (help). Archived from the original on January 11, 2012. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1985". RPM. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- 1985年アルバム年間ヒットチャート [Japanese Year-End Albums Chart 1985] (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Billboard.BIZ - Year-end Charts - Billboard 200 - 1985". billboard.biz. Retrieved July 2, 2012.
- "Canadian album certifications – Stevie Wonder – The Woman In Red". Music Canada. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Stevie Wonder; 'The Woman In Red')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "Solo Exitos 1959-2002 Ano A Ano: Certificados 1979-1990". Iberautor Promociones Culturales. ISBN 8480486392.
- "British album certifications – Stevie Wonder – The Woman In Red". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved February 20, 2013. Enter The Woman In Red in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Select Platinum in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American album certifications – Stevie Wonder – Woman In Red". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved February 20, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Chicago 17 by Chicago
|Swedish Chart number-one album
September 28 – November 9, 1984
Chess (soundtrack) by Benny Andersson, Tim Rice and Björn Ulvaeus
Midt om natten by Kim Larsen
|Norwegian VG-lista number-one album
39 – 45 / 1984
Make It Big by Wham!
Viaggi organizzati by Lucio Dalla
|Italian Chart number-one album
November 5, 1984 – January 4, 1985
I miei americani by Adriano Celentano
Amaneciendo En Ti by José Luis Perales
|Spanish Chart number-one album
November 10, 1984 – January 19, 1985
En Directo by Joan Manuel Serrat
Powerslave by Iron Maiden
|European Top 100 number-one album
September 29 – December 1, 1984
Private Dancer by Tina Turner