Jump to content

The Woodbridge Company

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Woodbridge Company Limited
Company typePrivate
FounderRoy Thomson
Toronto, Ontario
Key people
David W. Binet
(President and CEO)
OwnerThomson family
SubsidiariesThomson Reuters
The Globe and Mail

The Woodbridge Company Limited is a Canadian private holding company based in Toronto, Ontario. It is the primary investment vehicle for members of the family of the late Roy Thomson, 1st Baron Thomson of Fleet.[1] David W. Binet has been the president and chief executive officer of the company since 2012.[2]

Main holdings[edit]

Woodbridge is the principal and controlling shareholder (67.8%) of Thomson Reuters, a multinational media conglomerate.[3] Thomson Reuters was formed in 2008, when the Thomson Corporation acquired Reuters.[4]

In late 2010, Woodbridge sold its 40% interest in CTVglobemedia (a Canadian media company with ownership of the CTV Television Network) to BCE Inc. Woodbridge held an 85% interest in The Globe and Mail newspaper before acquiring the remaining 15% owned by BCE in August 2015.[5]


Woodbridge is the primary investment vehicle for members of the Thomson family of Canada.[1] David Thomson and his brother, Peter Thomson, became chairmen of Woodbridge in 2006 upon the death of their father, Kenneth Thomson.

In 2015, Canadian Business magazine reported that Sherry Brydson – child of Irma Thomson, one of Roy Thomson's two daughters – holds the largest stake in the family company.[6] It is estimated that she holds 23.47% of the company's shares.[6][7]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ a b "The Woodbridge Company Limited". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-03-08.
  2. ^ "Woodbridge selects long-time executive David Binet as president". The Globe and Mail. 29 November 2012. Retrieved 2020-06-03.
  3. ^ 2015 Annual Report Regulatory Filing [dead link] 156p
  4. ^ Haycock, Gavin; MacMillan, Robert (2008-04-17). "Thomson Reuters debuts amid global market jitters". Reuters. Retrieved 2020-06-03.
  5. ^ Canada (2010-09-10). "Woodbridge Acquires Direct Ownership of The Globe and Mail". CNW. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
  6. ^ a b "Canada's Richest People 2015: Meet Sherry Brydson, Canada's Richest Woman". Archived from the original on 28 July 2021. Retrieved 11 March 2015.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
  7. ^ "James Pattison takes crown as Canada's richest as new information reveals David Thomson's fortune smaller than thought". Financial Post. Retrieved 2018-03-31.

External links[edit]