The Wooden Sky
|The Wooden Sky|
The Wooden Sky outside the studio
|Also known as||Wooden Sky, B. Knox|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Fuzz-Folk,Indie rock, folk rock|
|Labels||Chelsea Records (Canada) / Nevado Records (World)|
|Associated acts||The National, Timber Timbre, Dan Michaelson, Strand of Oaks, Phosphorescent|
|Past members||Chris Cocca
The Wooden Sky are a Canadian Fuzz-Folk band based in Toronto, Ontario. Their most recent LP, 2014's Let's Be Ready, was named the number one Folk Album of 2014 by Exclaim! Magazine  and nabbed the 4th spot on The Huffington Post best of 2014 list. The album was re-released in the US on June 16 by Nevado Records.
The bands first album, When Lost at Sea, was self released in 2006 before the band was signed and put the album out again in 2007. The second LP, If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone was released in 2009 and nominated for the Polaris Prize while 2012 saw the band's 3rd album Every Child a Daughter, Every Moon a Sun. nominated for a Juno Award. and earned them 'Folk Act of The Year' at the 2013 Sirius XM Indie Awards 
The band originated after lead singer Gavin Gardiner wrote songs for a school project while attending Ryerson University. He formed the band with bassist Andrew Wyatt and drummer Chris Cocca, who has left the band. Their debut album, released in 2007, is When Lost at Sea. Band members now include Gardiner (vocals, guitars, harmonica), Wyatt (bass, vocals), Simon Walker (piano, vocals, guitar) and Andrew Kekewich (percussion).The band is frequently joined by Anissa Hart (Ohbijou, Kite Hill, The Rural Alberta Advantage) (cello), Mika Posen (Forest City Lovers, Timber Timbre) (violin, viola), and Edwin Huizinga (The Mars Volta) (violin).
The band recorded their second album, If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone in late 2008 and early 2009 in Montreal with producer Howard Bilerman (Arcade Fire, Thee Silver Mt. Zion, Basia Bulat). This record, released on August 25, 2009, saw them push the limits of the folk and country genres that was heard on When Lost at Sea with a more sonic and instrumentally layered aesthetic.
They toured extensively throughout 2009 and 2010 in Canada, Europe and the United States in support of their 2009 release If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone with Elliott Brood, The Rural Alberta Advantage and Yukon Blonde.
On February 28, 2012, the band released its third LP, titled Every Child a Daughter, Every Moon a Sun. This record was again recorded by Bilerman, this time with the help of Radwan Ghazi Moumneh, and Montreal's iconic Hotel 2 Tango. The album had been made available to stream in its entirety on February 21 on Exclaim's website.
- When Lost at Sea (2007)
- If I Don't Come Home You'll Know I'm Gone (2009)
- Bedrooms + Backstreets Tour EP (2009)
- City of Light Tour EP (2011)
- Every Child a Daughter, Every Moon a Sun (2012) — No. 66 CAN
- Let's Be Ready (2014/2015)
- Friends in Bellwoods (2007): "The Wooden Sky"
- Friends in Bellwoods II (2009): "My Old Ghosts"
- Lead singer Gavin Gardiner sang the lead vocal on the song "Asteroid" from Ryan Granville-Martin's album Mouthparts and Wings (2013), which features a different vocalist on each song.
- Sheffield, Megan (November 23, 2007). "The Wooden Sky reach for the top: Young stars of Toronto’s alt-country scene break hearts, change names", The Queen's Journal. Retrieved 2009-01-10.
- Harper, Kate (September 19, 2008). "Wooden Sky's year-end tour", Chart. Retrieved 2009-01-10.