The Word Bible Software
|Original author(s)||Costas Stergiou|
|Initial release||October 28, 2003|
Version 184.108.40.2060 / May 17, 2015
|Operating system||Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.|
|Size||6MB (binary only) 50MB (Main English package)|
|Available in||English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Malay, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Thai|
|Type||Bible Study Tools|
The Word (short for In the beginning was The Word) is a free Bible study software application for Microsoft Windows. It was first released in 2003 by its developer, Costas Stergiou. Though created mainly as a proof of concept Bible viewer, The Word has developed into a comprehensive and powerful Bible study application, offering not only Bibles, but also commentaries, dictionaries, general books, maps, etc. The Word also provides advanced, full library search capabilities. The Word is an internationalised application, featuring support for Bibles in many different languages, and user-interface localizations.
The Word supports the following features:
- Easy to use
- Quickly search through Bible texts and annotations
- Support for non-Bible resources (commentaries, dictionaries, generic books)
- Compare/Parallel view
- Ability to create and edit complete user modules of any kind (dictionary, commentary, maps, etc.)
- Cross references (either embedded in Bible texts, or user defined)
- Advanced hyperlinking in modules to Bibles, internal locations, or other modules
- Clipboard Monitor the Windows clipboard to display the text of copied verse references
- Inline commentaries and word lookup dictionaries
- Support for right to left languages
- Support for Strong's Numbers, Greek morphological codes, and numerous other viewer options
- Support for Footnotes
- Support for non-Bible documents (commentaries, dictionaries, generic books)
- Greek and Hebrew Support
- Configurable interface
- User defined and saved window layouts
- Advanced, full library search capabilities
- User markups and highlighting
- Verse lists
- Highly customizable UI with skin support
- Support for purchasing copyrighted, priced modules
- The ability to create & distribute user created modules as is done at DoctorDaveT.com
Below is a brief summary of version information.
- Version 1.0: First non-beta release, Clipboard Monitor feature introduced
- Version 1.1: Ability to print Bible texts and personal notes, and export personal notes in various formats
- Version 1.2: Improved Greek support in non-Greek environments
- Version 2.0: Multiple Bible windows, Bible text formatting, Dockable windows and layouts
- Version 3.0: Integration of non-Bible resources, search capabilities for them, priced copyrighted modules, user-created modules
- Version 4.0: New program icon, first alpha implementation of hybrid modules (books+commentaries), new default tw4 theme
- Version 5.0: Current version. Most notable new feature: Integrated module downloader (You can browse and install any module you want directly from within theWord without downloading the modules separately from the official site). New features: 20 new features and more than 100 fixes
The Word Importer Tool
The Word Importer Tool is used for importing Unbound Bible, Zefania XML, and free e-Sword modules and using them in The Word. The Importer Tool does not allow importing of modules purchased from e-Sword.
Examples of how the converter tool works to convert modules to The Word can be seen in the modules available at DoctorDaveT.com.
The Word Portable
The Word portable is a portable version of The Word that can be installed to a USB flash drive. The installer is included in the main installer of version 3.0, which gives the option of installing as portable.
- "Interview with Costas Stergiou, creator of In The Beginning Was The Word". Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Bible Software Review: The Word 3". Jerry Foster. Retrieved 2009-05-24.