The World/Inferno Friendship Society
|The World/Inferno Friendship Society|
The lead singer of the band, Jack Terricloth
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, USA|
Go-kart Records Europe
Gern Blandsten Records
The Company With The Golden Arm
The World/Inferno Friendship Society (also referred to as "World Inferno", "The Wifs" or "Inferno") is a band from Brooklyn, New York. Its style merges punk, soul, klezmer and jazz, while its collective membership features horns, piano and guitar and has a membership of about 40 players, only about seven to ten active members usually perform at a time. The group is led by singer Jack Terricloth who has been the only constant during the group's history. Terricloth is known for his pointed commentary during shows; his monologues have touched on politics and his transformation from the "old school".
Its lyrics often concern historical or biographical subjects, such as Weimar-era Germany, Peter Lorre, Jeffrey Lee Pierce of The Gun Club, Paul Robeson, Leni Riefenstahl, Dante Alighieri, Philip K. Dick, and Jonathan Fire*Eater.
The World/Inferno Friendship Society's annual Halloween show, Hallowmas, is its most-anticipated performance of the year. The event is known for its elaborate planning and surprises. Past Hallowmases have included a burning effigy of Mr. Terricloth constructed and set alight by a large, caustic cat; an ethereal string quartet performing throughout the evening in the rear of the hall; circus performances and fire breathing by the Odd Child Uprising troupe and a cadaverous marching band materializing on stage for the finale, "Pumpkin Time". The song (performed only at Hallowmas shows) includes street rallies, and references The Great Pumpkin from the Peanuts comic strip.
While the Inferno has had over 30 members come and go, Terricloth has maintained that they have always been more of a gang than an actual band. Many members, current and former, continue to collaborate with the group, but do not join them on tour.
|Jack Terricloth||Lead vocals, guitar||1996-||Sticks and Stones, P.E.D.|
|Sandra Malak||Bass, vocals||2006-||The Working Mothers, SHLSHKD, Twitcher, Pipsqueak|
|Frank Morin||Guitar||2010-||Serpenteens, Voltaire (musician)|
|Mora Precarious||Drums||2010-||Ketman, Trabants|
|Aaron Hammes||Baritone Saxophone, backing vocals||2012-||The Del Moroccos, Deal's Gone Bad, The Stranger|
|Scott Hollingsworth||Piano, Producer, programming||1996-2000, 2012-||Sticks and Stones, Product, The Blue Jackets|
|Peter Hess||Tenor saxophone, clarinet, percussion||1998-2011, 2013-2014||Guignol, Slavic Soul Party, Anti-Social Music, Balkan Beat Box, Capital M, The Peter Hess Quartet, Asphalt Orchestra|
|Rebecca Schlappich||Violin||2011-2015||Kiss Kiss, Mariachi El Bronx|
|Matthew Landis||Piano, backing vocals||2008-2015||The Minor Arcana|
|Leslie Wacker||Alto saxophone||2010-2012||Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band|
|Ken Thomson||Baritone Saxophone, clarinet||2005-2010||Gutbucket, Asphalt Orchestra, Anti-Social Music, Signal|
|Raja Azar||Piano, backing vocals||2006-2010||Jollyship the Whiz-Bang|
|Benjamin Kotch||Drums||1997–2007, 2010||Eve's Plum|
|Lucky Strano||Guitar||1996-2010||Morning Glory, Sewage, Devastation Wagon, Banner of Hope|
|Maura Corrigan||Alto saxophone||1998-2010||Georgia Redcoat Marching Band, Mod Alpert|
|Brian Viglione||Drums||2008-2009||The Dresden Dolls, Nine Inch Nails, HUMANWINE, Voltaire (musician)|
|Kevin Raczka||Drums||2007-2008||Jollyship The Whiz-Bang, Hungry March Band|
|Ara Babajian||Drums||2007||Leftöver Crack, The Slackers, Star Fucking Hipsters|
|Semra Ercin||Percussion, bells, backing vocals||1996-2008||Chandeliers, kiss Slash Crooked Smile, Casa de Chihuahua, Kid Casanova|
|Franz Nicolay||Accordion, piano, backing vocals||2001-2008, 2010-2011||Guignol, The Hold Steady, Anti-Social Music, Against Me!, Voltaire (musician)|
|Yula Beeri||Electric bass, backing vocals||1999-2006||Nanuchka, Star Fucking Hipsters, Yula & the eXtended Family|
|Karen Kanan Correa||Bass, backing vocals, viola||2005-2006||Demander|
|Gina Rodriguez (Moist Gina)||Electric bass, backing vocals||April–May 2005||Moisturizer|
|Erik Proft||shouts||2007||Planned Collapse, Kama Rupa, Missing Foundation|
|Steve Paelet||Electric bass||2002|
|Dan Bailey||Baritone saxophone||1998-2005||Milk Money, The Grown-Ups, The Panic, The Maspeth Holders|
|Kevin Corzett||Tenor saxophone||2007-2008||Reverend Glasseye, Ketman, Walter Sickert and the Army of Broken Toys, Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band|
|John Moore||Baritone saxophone||1997-1998|
|Brian Pearl||Piano||2000-2001||Matt Pond PA|
|Ms. Xtal Chaos||Tuba||1996-1998|
|Stephe Polier||Tenor saxophone||1997-1999|
|Geoff Blythe||Tenor saxophone||1999||Dexys Midnight Runners, The Bureau, Black 47, The TKO Horns|
|Sam Burns||Tenor Saxophone||1999-2000|
|Rio Glenn (Rio No ABC)||Backing Vocals||1999-2000|
|Kika Von Kluck||Backing vocals||1997-1998|
|Sioux Kovax||Backing vocals||1996-1997 (graphics, 1994-2003)|
|Mike Wagner||Trombone||1999||Antibalas, King Changó, Moshiach Oi!|
|Lauren Black||Trumpet||1997-1999||Kenn Firpo Rent Explosion, 1,000 Pounds of People|
|David Patrikios||Marimba, banjo||1997-1999||Serpico, Milhouse, Greensleep, The Realistics, The Flying Aces|
|Chris Leo||Trombone||1997||The Van Pelt, The Sin Eaters, The Lapse, Native Nod|
|Dan Neustadt||Piano, backing vocals||The Hold Steady|
|Jon Gilch||Drums||Sticks and Stones|
- The True Story of the Bridgewater Astral League - 1997
- Just the Best Party - 2002
- Red-Eyed Soul - 2006
- Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's Twentieth Century - 2007
- The Anarchy and the Ecstasy - 2011
- This Packed Funeral - 2014
- East Coast Super Sound Punk of Today! (compilation) - 2000
- Hallowmas: Live at Northsix - 2003
- "Tattoos Fade" b/w "Nothing You Begin" –1994, Blue Ghost Records ("Tattoos Fade" was re-released on the East Coast Super Sound Punk of Today! compilation)
- "The Models and the Mannequins" b/w "Glamour Ghouls" – 1996, Gern Blandsten Records (both re-released on the East Coast Super Sound Punk of Today! compilation)
- "Our Candidate" b/w "All Of California And Everyone Who Lives There Stinks" – 1996, Gern Blandsten (both re-released on the East Coast Super Sound Punk of Today! compilation)
- "Pumpkin Time" b/w "Ich Errinere Mich An Weimar" – 1999, Gern Blandsten (both re-released on the East Coast Super Sound Punk of Today! compilation)
- "I Wouldn't Want to Live in a World without Grudges" b/w "All the World is a Stage (Dive)" – 2000, X-Mist Records (both re-recorded for Just the Best Party)
- Hallowmas 2010 – 2010, Chunksaah Records (7" disc distributed at Hallowmas 2010, featuring "Canonize Philip K. Dick, OK")
- This Packed Funeral Single - 2013
- International Smashism! - 2001
- Speak of Brave Men - 2004
- Me v. Angry Mob - 2005
- Vox Inferne - 2010
- Maps, Saints, & Just This Side of Way Too Much (live, 2 songs from "The Anarchy and The Ectasy") - 2012
- Turnstile Comix #2 (three song EP released with a comic book) - 2013
- A Demonstrational Introduction To The Astral Plane - 1996-1997
- Powder Waves Goodbye Sessions - 2000
- A Lexicon of Friends & Enemies - 2004
- The New Americana Demos - 2008
- 3 Ring Brain and a Circus Heart - 2010
- CMJ New Music April 1997: Compilation with CMJ magazine, featuring "Our Candidate"
- Achtung Autobahn (2000): Benefit compilation featuring "Peter Lorre"
- Against Police Injustice (2003): Compilation featuring "Secret Service Freedom Fighting USA"
- Rock Against Bush, Vol. 1 (2004): Compilation featuring "The Expatriate Act"
- Fuck World Trade (2004): Album by Leftover Crack with "Soon We'll Be Dead"
- Go-Kart vs. The Corporate Giant 4 (2006): Compilation featuring a live version of "Tattoos Fade"
- "Peter Ventantonio". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "P.E.D. Reunion 30 May 91". YouTube.com.
- "Peter Hess". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Ken Thomson". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Benjamin Kotch". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Semra Ercin". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Franz Nicolay". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Yula & The Extended Family Accessed 2011-11-13.
- Demander Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- "Dan Bailey". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Ch. 12c: searching for the young red eyed soul rebels « Wackyhijinx's Blog". Wackyhijinx.wordpress.com. 2010-07-19. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "Geoffrey Blythe". BandToBand.com. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- Ken Firpo Rent Explosion Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- Jon Gilch Retrieved 2011-11-13.
- "Albumgegevens". Facebook. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The World/Inferno Friendship Society|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The World/Inferno Friendship Society.|
- The World/Inferno Friendship Society's myspace
- Links to World/Inferno Friendship Society interviews and articles
- Review of "Red-Eyed Soul" on PunkNews.org
- Interview with World/Inferno Friendship Society on Twilight Vision TV
- World Inferno In The Studio 2009
- The World/Inferno Friendship Society at BandToBand.com