The World Before Your Feet
|The World Before Your Feet|
|Directed by||Jeremy Workman|
|Produced by||Jeremy Workman, Jesse Eisenberg|
|Edited by||Jeremy Workman|
|Music by||Carly Comando, Max Avery Lichtenstein, Tom Rosenthal, Rhonda Mackert|
|Distributed by||Greenwich Entertainment|
The World Before Your Feet is a 2018 American documentary film directed by filmmaker Jeremy Workman about Matt Green's mission to walk every street of New York City, a journey of over 8000 miles. The film also marked the producing debut of actor Jesse Eisenberg.
First presented at numerous film festivals, The World Before Your Feet was released theatrically on November 21, 2018 through distributor Greenwich Entertainment. Widely praised upon its release, the documentary holds a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
The documentary premiered in competition at the 2018 South by Southwest Film Festival where it was acquired by distributor Greenwich Entertainment. It was released theatrically on November 21, 2018, screening in over 70 cities across the United States and Canada during a nearly five month theatrical run.
Following its theatrical run, the film was subsequently made available on multiple streaming sites, including Amazon Prime and a new UK-based site called True Story, which just shows documentaries. A special edition DVD/Blu-ray has been released through Kino Lorber. The film was also widely released in Germany with distributor Happy Entertainment under the title New York Die Welt vor deinen Füßen 
The film was widely praised upon its release. It has a 100% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 31 reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "The World Before Your Feet offers a perspective on New York City that might be entrancingly unfamiliar even to residents -- and beckons viewers toward a more attentive way of life." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 78 out of 100, based on 5 reviews, indicating "favorable reviews".
The film was a Critic's Pick in The New York Times, in which critic Ben Kenigsberg stated that "after watching The World Before Your Feet, it’s difficult to look at the city the same way." It was a Critic's Choice of the Los Angeles Times, in which critic Michael Rechtshaffen stated that the film is "inspiring and enlightening... Filmmaker Workman, who's behind [Green] every step of the way without ever getting in the way, allows the city and its colorful denizens to take center stage." Entertainment Weekly called the film "an eye-opening stroll with a stranger" while The Playlist described it as "an utterly compelling joy." San Francisco Chronicle, in a highly positive review, said that "It's hard to see Green in action and not think of traditional pilgrims on holy journeys and, perhaps, hermits or monks or others who have withdrawn from regular life". Rex Reed of The New York Observer stated "New York, New York, it's a wonderful town. This movie proves it like none other."
- Kenigsberg, Ben (November 21, 2018). "'The World Before Your Feet' Review: Walk a Mile — or 8,000 — in Another Man's Shoes". The New York Times. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (March 11, 2018). "Jesse Eisenberg on SXSW Doc 'The World Before Your Feet,' Returning to Lex Luthor". Variety. Archived from the original on March 16, 2018. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "The World Before Your Feet | Greenwich Entertainment". greenwichentertainment.com.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved 10 October 2021.
- "Greenwich Acquires Jeremy Workman's SXSW Documentary THE WORLD BEFORE YOUR FEET". Broadway World. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Quad Cinema.
- "Get Tickets". The World Before Your Feet Official Website. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Box Office Mojo.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Amazon.
- "Streaming: in praise of new documentary platform True Story". the Guardian. November 28, 2020.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Kino Lorber.
- "New York - die Welt vor deinen Füßen (2018) | Film, Trailer, Kritik".
- "Einer der wohl längsten Spaziergänge der Welt: New York – die Welt vor deinen Füßen | Happy Entertainment". 12 December 2019.
- Caldart, Isabella (13 March 2020). "Kino-Doku "Die Welt vor deinen Füßen": Spaziergang mit einem Unbekannten". Die Tageszeitung: Taz.
- "The World Before Your Feet". Metacritic.
- Rechtshaffen, Michael (20 November 2018). "Man walks New York step by step, borough by borough in the uplifting documentary 'The World Before Your Feet'". Los Angeles Times.
- Schwartz, Dana. "The World Before Your Feet is an eye-opening stroll with a stranger: EW review". Entertainment Weekly.
- Garrison, Gary. "'The World Before Your Feet' Is A Delightful Stroll Through The Pleasures Of Walking". The Playlist.
- Addiego, Walter. "He's out to walk the streets of New York — all of them". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Reed, Rex (20 November 2018). "Meet The 'Independently Homeless' Guy Who Walked Every Single New York City Street". The New York Observer.